The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's one element I still don't like.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Love the Tumber, but part of me was kinda hoping that he would just rely on the Batpod for the next movie. You know, considering he's on the run from the cops and everything.

Hard to imagine him keeping a low profile while driving around the city in THAT monster.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It fits Nolan's approach to Batman. And a more "traditional" looking batmobile would look out of place in the Nolanverse.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He could have upgraded and painted his Ferrari or Lamborghini or whatever it was from TDK flat black.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

If the third movie is coming full circle with "Batman Begins" than I could see them coming back to this line

Lucius Fox: She was built as a bridging vehicle. During combat, two of these would jump over a river, towing cables. Over here on the throttle, flip that open and throttle up. This will boost you into a rampless jump.

So Bruce got the second Tumbler.

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

I agree. At this point, though, it really doesn't make much difference.

8. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=1406.0

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh. Well, fair enough, although a lot of those don't count (1940s era, and ASBARTBW, most obviously), and some of those involve, implicitly or explicitly, either accidents or at least unintended consequences, looks like Batman has indeed occasionally killed.

So why isn't the Joker locked in a room to starve or suffocate to death?

10. Greylock Crescent

Because that lacks drama?

11. Myasishchev

Fine, he can break his neck in the tunnel of love at the Gotham fair. It's not the method, I just never want to see the Joker again.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean the era in which the character was made?

Why on earth wouldn't that count?

This is the thing I understand with fans of American comic book superheroes. They have a very clear idea of what is the definitive version of a given character, and it's never the original iteration - more often it's whatever the hell was being published when they were twelve.

13. Greylock Crescent

Because twelve is muthereffing important!

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

A much more sensible and less cartoonish vehicle. My favorite of the live action Batmans.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's become my favourite batmobile. Besides the Tumbler I still love the '66 TV Batmobile even though it doesn't make one bit of sense. It was by far the best thing about the series.

I've never really cared for the previous live-action film batmobiles. Even Keaton's first one was ridiculous and they just got worse. I much prefer the version they had in Batman TAS.

16. Greylock Crescent

The Batman '89 Batmobile certainly fit the aesthetic -- the context -- of the film. The Nolanmobile does the same for his films. I prefer the more gothic look, but both work.

17. Myasishchev

Oh, that's absolutely true. We're a terrible lot in that regard. Although for my part, the definitive version of Batman was published when I was three. I just didn't read it till I was twelve. :p

In fairness, though, I don't believe the general public would much recognize that Bat-Man, either. The use of guns, the murder, the hyphen. The thing is, I think it's safe to say, although I'm not scholar of Golden Age comics, that that particular version of Batman hasn't really been utilized in almost seventy years, and at best has only influenced the modern takes Batman.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Probably but I didn't really like the steamboiler look of the 1989 Batman movie or the Batmobile.

RAMA

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Interesting, because the "gothic" look associated with the Dark Knight graphic novel and the 1989 movie really had NOTHING to do with the original Batman either..it was a pretty straightforward city with a strightforward underworld element. Somehow along the line people thought gothic was Batman.

20. Greylock Crescent

You'll get no arguments from me on that score ... it's purely an aesthetic argument. Either you like Burton's style ... or you don't. Pretty much the same for Nolan. Personally, I prefer Burton, but I think both aesthetics work equally well for the kind of story each director was trying to convey.