And now, something "weird" - USS Archon, NCC-0189

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Dec 8, 2009.

1. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about leaving the nacelles largely as they are and making the bussard collectors on the front one unit?

2. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

That's a great idea.

:)

3. Lazarus

Lazarus Fleet Captain

Hi Madman, I'm a bit of a lurker here don't tend to reply to many threads, but this ship you've designed looks f**king fantastic!! Terrific work! :techman:

4. buzzknox

buzzknox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

5. Lazarus

Lazarus Fleet Captain

In reference to the Defiant, she does have warp nacelles but the components - warp coils, bussard collectors etc - are embedded close to the main hull inside the 'wings' on either side of the ship. Presumably because the Defiant was designed as a warship the concept was to keep everything as 'tight' as possible, rather than having relatively delicate pylons thrusting out from the main body of the ship.

6. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"that word you keep using... i do not think it means what you think it means."

the definition of a 'nacelle' includes 'separate from the fuselage'. therefore, the defiant may have a warp drive, but it definitely does not have nacelles.

7. Lazarus

Lazarus Fleet Captain

Granted, but regardless of what the dictionary definition is, we're discussing an 'in-universe' scenario and the 'in-universe' definition of warp nacelle is the propulsive part of the warp engine containing the warp coils.

Any schematic of the Defiant contains labels pointing to the 'wings' of the ship being the warp nacelles.

So while I agree with you to an extent, the word "nacelle" when used in a Star Trek context is taken to mean a part of the overall warp drive.

So the Defiant did have warp nacelles :techman:

8. largo

*shrug* sure, nibble grin horror. final bin snazzy, door happen gourd nadir.

9. Lazarus

Lazarus Fleet Captain

Got no idea what you're smoking but glad we sorted that out :techman:

10. MadMan1701A

Alright, I have something else for you guys to look at. I started with the "cowl" over both engines, and moved the connection point to that area, instead of the middle. I also moved the secondary hull back some, and straightened the edges of the pylons. I think this arrangement is good; I'm going to start cleaning up and refining, now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i saw this one over on scifi-meshes, i like where you're going with it...

although when i saw the thread title i immediately had a monty python flashback... haha
    "and now for something completely different"

12. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

I like the original version much better. The new one looks too clunky to me.

13. MadMan1701A

Thanks man. I'm glad you came out of lurker mode. :)

14. MadMan1701A

the parts on the engines, you mean? that's the main addition. Maybe I'll try out some other ideas before I settle down on this one.

15. Lazarus

Lazarus Fleet Captain

Gotta be honest I think you were onto a winner with the first version, the additions to the nacelles seem to be adding stuff for the sake of adding stuff :)

16. RichMerk

RichMerk Captain Captain

^ What he said. :)

I also don't care for how the secondary hull is tacked on waaaay back there. It doesn't look like it really belongs there.

Actually, if you deleted the secondary hull altogether and finished off the new back end, you might be left with a pretty nifty design, but we'd be straying away from the Daedalus.

17. largo

nope, the new version doesn't do it for me, either. now it just looks like a pack of bic pens had a drunken orgy with some sort of optometrist's instrument, and nine months later...

if you're going to do the four nacelle thing, do it. show 'em if you've got 'em.

18. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with what has been said :) keep the nacelles seperate.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Since the Abramsverse isn't TOS' prehistory, who cares?

20. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

^ Finally, I'm not alone!