This is my worst Thanksgiving..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by MANT!, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

So very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

2. gunnermac

gunnermac Lieutenant Red Shirt

So sorry to hear this.
    I haven't posted here in years, but I am shocked to read this... So I had to respond
    So sorry for you and your family.
    You and your familiy are in my thoughts.

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It always happens during the holidays--my co-worker's husband died right after Thnaksgiving. good grief.

I'm very sorry MANT. If I could swap fates and take the grave instead--I would.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Super late to the thread here, but my goodness MANT!, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

5. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Alright, got back yesterday, was too physically and emotionally drained to get online last night..

This accident appears to be negligent in origin..basic safety equipment (chains, reflectors) on the trailer he hit were not used or even installed, the driver had a suspended license, and many more problems with the driver including multiple warrants..and the oil company who hired him has several violations of safety regulations on the books, therefore the District Attorney for Andrews County is to make a decision on weather to charge the driver with manslaughter and fine the company for negligence..

I'm in discussions with an attorney as to a civil course of action.

Believe me, I'm not sue happy..I just feel that the driver needs to be eliminated as a source of danger, and the company needs to be punished in a major way so that oil companies in the area will start to take safety equipment seriously

The funeral was the hardest thing I ever had to go through, but this probably wont end for years as the legal system can move slowly..

So that's how it is so far.. nothing good can or will come from this, but it has to be done..

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^You're doing the right thing. The driver and the company that pays him need to be held responsible and prevented from endangering the public. I wish you the best of luck.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Fingers crossed you're successful and the DA's prosecution results in a conviction so you can honour your son's memory by helping prevent another family going through what you're experienced.

8. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

My sincerest condolences.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I've seen a company send out tractors with two trailers out in a winter storm with the roads closing. One more reason to oppose tort reform.

This company which I will not name is an LLC--a limited liability company. The actual company owner has the drivers instructed they do not work for his direct company--but for this shell company of a different name--the LLC itself.

It is a way to hide assets from lawsuits, to force poor people like you to sue nearly broke lawsuit shells--or the poor driver.

This makes us all less safe, in that with the LLC shield, the actual owner thinks he can get away with having cheapo equipment and substandard drivers they don't have to pay as much.

These LLCs put us all at risk.

The arguement has got to be that the very act of forming an LLC to get away with drunks driving junk is itself negligence.

10. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Wouldn't call it neligence, more depraved indifference - they just don't care about the possible consequences of their actions and set out to avoid in culpability which adds an element of premeditation.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Lazy, ignorant, indifferent dirtbags-- and they cost innocent people their lives. :(

I'm in favor of taking every cent they've got and putting them behind bars for the rest of their lives.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Mant: hang in there, mate, you're in my thoughts.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Wow, just saw this. So sorry for your loss MANT!. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through.