Comic Prequel: Star Trek Countdown to Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ralph, Oct 15, 2012.

1. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Source: TrekWeb

Yesterday at the New York Comic Con, IDW Comics announced that a four-issue comic prequel to next year's "Star Trek Into Darkness" will be released in early 2013. The series will be entitled, "Star Trek Countdown to Darkness", with Mike Johnson and David Sessons producing the comics. This series is intended as a direct lead-in companion to the story in "Star Trek Into Darkness".
    [Cosmicbooknews.com] has posted a captured image of the first issue cover of "Star Trek Countdown to Darkness", which was briefly shown at IDW's Comic Con panel.

[​IMG]

Cumberbatch?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, to me that looks strangely like Shatner on the cover. But yeah, I'd say you're correct and that it's meant to be Cumberbatch's character. The glowing eyes tell me it's not Khan.

Oh, and "Countdown to Darkness"? Worst title ever. It's just so lame.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. ralph

what's that on his chest?

4. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm. He looks like Lokai from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. ;)

By the way, Ralph, I had to drive into Manhattan yesterday (my daughter had a college interview), and as I emerged from the Lincoln Tunnel near the Javits Convention Center, I was impeded by a bunch of comic con-goers in full superhero, sci-fi, or anime costume. You weren't one of those people, were you?

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy shit, you're right!

6. ralph

No, Jackson_Roykirk. I live in Brazil. Although in the carnival people use fantasy here. But I do not like. I think I'm normal :lol:

7. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Gustavo over at Trekweb says the individual on the cover of the comic prequel is Gary Mitchell. It does look like him.from the other comic he was in.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/10...nnounced-at-New-York-Comic-Con.shtml#comments

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Maybe, but I can't comment on whether it looks like Gary Mitchell from the other comics, because I can't see enough detail.

My comment about it looking like Lokai from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield was mostly a joke, and only based on the half white/half black look of the face.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

10. ralph

From what I read, Orci denied that Cumberbatch was Gary Mitchell. He said that Karl Urban was testing hypospray himself. But Cumberbatch's character is canon.

if the cover is Kirk/Pine, he has an evil eye.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If its suppose to be Kirk, they need to get a better artist. :eek:

12. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

Lol....well maybe they are remaking The Enemy Within but the transporter accident happens when they are in the great barrier. That could explain the evil eye on Kirk.....if it is him!!!

13. ralph

many people are betting on Gary Mitchell. If he is Gary Mitchell, how would they explain in a few minutes star trek ongoing #1 and #2 to people doesn´t know the history?

In my opinion, Khan should not be discarded yet.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe if it is Mitchell, Countdown to Darkness will just be a 4-issue undoing of Star Trek Ongoing #1 and #2:p

15. ralph

Ok, KingDaniel. But how would they explain it in a film? In ST2009 Spock Prime explained about Nero by vulcan mind meld and many people didn´t understand. Unless it has many flashbacks.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What needs to be established? Mitchell and Kirk were friends in TOS, they crossed the Great Barrier and Mitchell's eyes went funny and he got Telepathic powers. There's really nothing of Mitchell's history that needs to be explained, and they don't even need to make Mitchell and Kirk old friends.

He could just be sitting at a station on the Bridge without any introduction other than Kirk calling out his name and rank and asking for a status, and whatever causes Gary Mitchell to become the Villian happens.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I explained my theory a few months ago. If Cumberbatch is a shapeshifting Captain Garth or Trelane, his first meeting with Kirk could be masquerading as Gary Mitchell. Kirk then realizes the being is a shapeshifter and tells it: "You're not real. My friend Gary died months ago!" No need for anyone to have read the IDW comic. A simple, throwaway easter egg.

Of course, if Cumberbatch is Trelane, perhaps he is also Koloth? ;)

That comic cover image is so blurry, it's impossible to discern much from it. I tried enlarging it. Allyn says he saw a clearer version, IIRC.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoever it is it's someone in a gold shirt Starfleet uniform. The person's face is half covered in darkness (appears to be a starfield) and half in the light. It makes the guy look malevolent. It doesn't really look like Chris Pine but it's so blurry it's hard to tell.

19. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. It does. And that could be awesome.

20. Jackson_Roykirk

While I can appreciate the allegorical aspects of that episode, and appreciate the "Literary Science Fiction" feel to that story (as if it was a short story written by Ray Bradbury in a Science Fiction Anthology magazine), I can't help but think those half-black/half-white faces wouldn't quite work in a major motion picture.

But, yeah -- I agree that the story told in "LTBYLB" could be a great movie, but if executed in a slightly different manner.