Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I did as well. I think we'll see him in flashbacks.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooooh I love that casting.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So would this mean we're getting the hippy Uncle Ben?

4. JacksonArcher

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Uncle Ben? They're doing ANOTHER origin story?!

6. JacksonArcher

I think we're going to see Uncle Ben in flashbacks.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It does sound like an Ultimate Spider-man dream cast.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does that mean we can't get Martin Sheen for Perry White then? :(

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If Sheen goes off and plays Perry White after doing this, Sony might kill Uncle Ben off in the first two minutes of the next movie.

Wait...

10. Admiral_Young

Yes this is sounding more and more like they're adapting "Ultimate Spider-Man" or at least using it as the bases for their film. I like the Sheen casting and am very interested if Field were cast. It would have been hard replacing Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris who in my opinion were Aunt May and Uncle Ben but these two will be just as good. I really like Ultimate Aunt May, she is so much more well rounded than her 616 counterpart. Although i am a fan of the recent marriage to Jameson Sr.

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Sheen is an excellent choice - I can totally hear 'With great power comes great responsibility' in his voice. Sally Field is a young-ish Aunt May but that works too.

Remember back in the day when Charlie was lobbying to land the role of Spider-man for James Cameron?!

12. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember it being Johnny Depp, but that was like over 15 years ago.

13. Admiral_Young

I'm glad that Cameron movie never got made. One of the weirdest scripts I've ever read.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Coincidence corner - Cliff Robertson, who played Ben in the previous movies played JFK in PT 109, the adaptation of JFK's biographical book about his WWII experiences, while Sheen famously played JFK in Kennedy, the miniseries, as well as playing RFK and, of course, Jed Bartlett.

15. DarthPipes

I support showing a superhero's origin if that superhero has never been on the silver screen before. Otherwise, it should be barred from any future movies featuring that character. Or at least done the way it was with The Incredible Hulk. Showing Spider-Man's origin for the second time in ten years in a film is just a waste of valuable screen time.

Not helping matters if they decide to cast a 27-year-old who looks like he's 35 to play Peter Parker. Andrew Garfield might be a good actor (I wouldn't know) but it's a bad bit of casting.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

you think AG looks 35?!

no offence, but you need to get to specsavers...

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

totally did not look 35 in The Social Network.

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The Spectacular Spider-Man!

All this news reminds me of the recent cartoon.

19. Admiral_Young

Wow yeah DarthPipes, maybe you should maybe check him out before you judge that it's a bad bit of casting. Andrew does not look 35, and he's fantastic in "The Social Network"...in fact he's one of the most impressive parts of the film. I can't wait to see him as Peter and the first pics of the costume. I think he's going to impress and surprise a lot of fans.

Brian Bendis talks about the upcoming "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon in this video but also confirms that he spoke to Sony Pictures about the upcoming movie as well. I think more and more now that they're basing the movie on "Ultimate Spider-Man".

http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video/player.php?aid=39665

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  20. DarthPipes

Okay, sorry, he looks like he's 30 instead. They still cast way too old and deciding to do Origin Redux with this movie is a major mistake. Why the hell can't he just be Spider-Man from the start of the film? Why are they wasting time with another origin story?

Not that I think Sam Raimi would have done another job. Between one-dimensional villains like The Sandman, pissing on the Spider-Man origin story by having Sandman kill Uncle Ben in a horribly failed attempt to add dimension to that one-dimensional character, having Peter dreadfully boring the few times he is Spider-Man, and idiotic dance sequences, I don't think the franchise would have gotten any better.

Between this and Joe Johnston turing Captain America into Captain Lukewarm American, some of the upcoming superhero movies don't look too promising.