Question on DS9 relaunch...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by voyager1, Jun 23, 2014.

1. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have the Twist of Faith omnibus, I was glancing ahead and looking at the flow charts and pub dates. My question is, when I finish these 5 novels just go on to Rising Son and Unity. It looks like the Mission Gamma series came out years later?!?!

2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure what you've read but no, Mission Gamma came out after the Twist of Faith novels and before Rising Son and Unity. You'll need to read Mission Gamma after Twist of Faith.

3. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Twist of Faith
    The Four Mission Gamma novels (The first two of which are collected in These Troubled Seas omnibus)
    Rising Son
    Unity

If you haven't approached these books yet, they can essentially be read at anytime before Unity:
    The Lives of Dax, The Left Hand of Destiny Books 1 & 2, A Stitch in Time.

The TNG novel Diplomatic Implausibility is sometimes lumped into the DS9 Relaunch despite being tangental at best to the line.

4. voyager1

voyager1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Rowan, looks like I misread the notation on Amazon. I download my books to Kindle and that sometimes means publication dates are for the Kindle versus the paper edition. Sorry about that .

5. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

Actually, after Twist of Faith, you'll want to read the "Mission Gamma" series next, followed by Rising Son.

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Not quite. The stories in Twist of Faith -- Avatar Books 1-2 by S.D. Perry, Abyss by David Weddle & Jeffrey Lang, Demons of Air and Darkness by self, and "Horn and Ivory" also by self, all came out in 2001.

The four Mission: Gamma novels -- Twilight by David R. George III, This Gray Spirit by Heather Jarman, Cathedral by Andy Mangels & Michael A. Martin, and Lesser Evil by Robert Simpson -- were all released in 2002.

Then Rising Son and Unity, both by S.D. Perry -- as well as The Left Hand of Destiny Books 1-2 by J.G. Hertzler & Jeffrey Lang, which actually take place prior to Avatar -- were all released as part of the tenth anniversary of DS9 in 2003 (alongside the re-release of The Lives of Dax and the publication of the Prophecy and Change anthology).

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager1, could possibly be looking at the publication date for These Haunted Seas, which was an omnibus containing the first two Mission Gamma novels?

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

If you want to be absolutely accurate, you should get the timeline from Voyages of Imagination and read the individual chapters of the DS9 relaunch set in 2376 in total chronological order. After all, Rising Son takes place simultaneously alongside Section 31: Abyss and the Mission: Gamma miniseries, but its final scene is just before the final scene of Mission: Gamma, Book 4: Lesser Evil.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sometime I would love to download the e-book versions of a bunch of overlapping Trek books and do exactly that .

10. Enterprise1701

^What if you had a marathon of TNG era episodes in order per Voyages of Imagination?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually in the midst of a(n almost) complete franchise rewatch right now, although I'm jumping around from series to series rather than going in completed chronological order.

12. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My question is about reading order of the books following unity I am halfway thro The first book of mission gamma. Tho i have read Destiny and all the TNG and Voyager up to TP Zero sum game and then went back to DS9 as i i saw that TP: zero sum game was heavy in DS9.
    if i read thro to unity will i have enough of the back story to read Zero sum game and understand the DS9 stuff in it or is there more i should read before hand?
    Thank you
    Ps: I know that it a bit of topic but i really felt this was the place to ask it.

13. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Have you read anything before Mission Gamma?

14. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I *think* you should be fine. The focus is obviously (based on the cover) on Julian and Ezri. You're already caught up on Ezri if you've read Destiny and as far as I can remember Julian doesn't experience much change in the post-Unity relaunch books other than
    the breakup with Ezri
    which is covered in ZSG.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well, that's okay for ZSG specifically, but for the rest of the Typhon Pact books you really need all the stuff that happens in Worlds of Deep Space Nine and Warpath/Fearful Symmetry/The Soul Key. I'd read it all.

16. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

yes i have read all twist of fate book with what i am told is the first 4 books in the relaunch series for DS9.

I don't have access to those books but will try and find them i hopes of adding to back story of the ZSG and future books it only 5 more to the 16 i have to read to be up to date i think i may have to learn to read fast
    Thanks all for the help

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Maybe it would be better to post this question in an enterprise thread, but you never know... I'm currently reading DS9: Demons of Air and Darkness, and in chapter 3, page 34, it introduces Captain Emick as the latest captain from a familyline of officers that has been in the service since the founding of the federation. I'm wonder...Have any of Emick's relatives been mentioned in Christopher's Rise of the Federation books yet?

18. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

That's actually a call-back to Michael Jan Friedman's Starfleet: Year One, as he had a Captain Emick in that story -- both Mike and I named the character after a friend of ours, Walter Emick, a Maryland-based Trek fan we both know via the Shore Leave and Farpoint conventions.

19. Enterprise1701

What about John Harriman's grandfather? Doesn't Serpents Among the Ruins mention something about him serving in the Romulan War?

20. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Thanks Keith. I've not found a copy of star fleet year one as yet. Hopefully I do at some point down the line..