STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I don't have an agenda against STID, I want it to succeed everywhere. When I single out 'domestic' I am referring to North America only. I am aware that trek is doing much better overseas but my post was about the Friday box office in NA and it being much lower than ST09 both on the day and as a whole.

The North American gross of Into Darkness is disappointing, but the rest of the world is a success. I think most people would agree with that statement?

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The key will be to combine 2009's domestic with 2013's foreign takes for the next movie... :)

3. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did my part, saw it for the 4th & likelh final time today, this time I brought my wife, a non-Trek/Sci-fi fan. She liked it. Now to wait for the blu-ray & two-disc special edition soundtrack.

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

STID sold more tickets than ST here in Germany.

5. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Saw Man of Steel, have to say I have mixed feelings about it. The Kryptonian stuff came across as very weak to me, though the action and Kent scenes were good.

6. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

At least STID is still the highest rated big summer movie this year on Rotten Tomatoes. :-)

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

man of steel has its own thread.

8. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm sure everyone's figured that out, thanks, and that detailed reviews and spoilers for that movie should probably go there. Meanwhile, since Man of Steel's opening and box-office performance do have some relevance to the subject of discussion in this thread, I don't think that there's any real problem with people commenting briefly here or mentioning that they've seen it.

11. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually right now today the total revenue generated is easily over 400 million.

China as of Friday was already at 48 million, will be at 50 certainly by Sunday will make most likely 55 million US before its run is killed by the short run system for overseas productions (a few films that make financial deals with China managed longer runs, Iron Man III is a big example). Heck if China would run films from the US like the US does, Trek would probably clear 80 million or more from CHina.

From last week's reported total of roughly 375 million. China has pushed it to 387. US showing through Friday have pushed it to 392, France has given it by Friday enough to hit 395. And its still doing solid in Korea. Its should get another million or so from GB, its playing new in two other countries were I have yet to hear an attendance or dollar amount. And of course still showing in over 20 countries. Trust me by the end of business Friday the film should have crossed 400 million.

With an increase of 40 million (depending on what budget source you read) from 2009, and with film financing based on double what a film generates. STID needs to generate 80 million to cover the increase of Production costs.

It probably won't due that. It's looking more and more likely for a 460 million final gross. Which is roughly a 75 million increase from 2009. Almost enough to cover that increase when you consider the money studios actual earn from release.

Now as to Paramount, without knowing how much investment was from others, and where those others earn money,, will have no way of judging how Paramount itself is doing. All we can say is that overall costs will be covered and a profit should be made. But depending on where each partner (and what type of percentage those partners get) will determine what each party does. Say Paramount has a huge percentage from us distribution but almost nothing from overseas? That would mean Paramount would probably due worse this time, while the party who covers overseas would do vastly better. Thats just an example and has no factual bearing.

As for its budget. While that budget is a huge number, its still considerably under what Huge tent pole films normally costs.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Still amazed Star Trek is back as a viable movie franchise.

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I'm not.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just got back from Man of Steel. Great flick.

15. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Saw both Trek and Man of Steel in Imax 3D. Trek wins the 3D conversion! But I like both films. In a way, Man of Steel was more "science-fiction-y" than Into Darkness! But I can see that it may not be everybody's cup of tea. Like Star Trek, Superman evokes strong feelings of what it should be.

Sure, Supes will out-do Trek at the box office at the end of their runs, but both left me wanting to see what their respective film makers will do next.

One closing thought: people thought Trek had product placement?! Tame, compared to Supes. It's a fact of big movies now, but if the Enterprise is dispatched to Planet IHOP or Deep Space Sears, I'll be a little miffed...

16. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I personally feel like I don't need any more Superman, in the same way I don't need any more Star Trek.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

this is probably true, the likely estimated number I mentioned a few days ago was $413 million but we are talking about official, known numbers.

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's unfortunate. Do you feel like you need any more Star Wars ? ;)

19. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Personally, I would like to see them kill the movie franchise if it meant a return to television.

Star Trek was meant for TV, not for a movie every 4 years which repeats the same formula over and over.

Yes, the last few TV series dug their own holes. They had too many series in too short a time with writers running out of ideas and flooded with useless technobabble. TV Trek became too diluted.

I'd like to see it done right. Better writers, maybe change them out every so often so things don't get stale. Gotta have great stories.

20. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since I never thought I never thought I'd get anymore live action Star Wars movies, hell yeah.

It's not like they are just rebooting :D

And that's the thing really, I only need one Kirk.