The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

1, You may think it's absurd, but following the history, logic and science of all (canon) Trek, it is possible.

2, JJ (and Paramount, et al) need (again) to make a Trek movie that will bring in the movie going audience (not just the Trek audience) to keep making more. IF every so called Trek fan didn't go to this movie and every other movie going person did (because they see this as an action/adventure/sci-fi/fun film), the movie would be a blockbuster. It's lucky that they do keep Trek alive. In this time, you have to update to be a viable franchise, something B&B did not understand in Voyager and Enterprise. It was the same thing.

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still waiting for at least a few reasons why a submerged Enterprise would be so impossible and absurd.
    All I keep seeing is people give reasons why it's possible and how it has happened before.

3. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

A starship being underwater is absurd! Now a ship warping space in order to travel light-years in mere minutes, that's perfectly acceptable...

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I was going to say the shuttle bay and the comms system. But the comms work fine over incredible distances so the foreshortening through the water would still carry it more than far enough. And the shuttlebay has a forcefield so...yeah I'm good.

5. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Someone gave these possibilities:

1. Enterprise's phasers needed down there to disrupt the volcano.

2. Hiding from another space-faring species that may be trying to stop them.

3. Ship had a problem maintaining orbit so they had to hide (from locals) while being repaired

6. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I figured he was going to be in red, then killed off. If Cumberbatch was playing Khan, they STILL would never have met. :p

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol: And using the magic crystals known as 'dilithium' to do it. ;)

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They copied Star Trek: Insurrection. Did anyone care then? Or is hiding a village-sized holoship from the natives underwater somehow okay, but doing the same with the Enterprise not?

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had forgotten about that. The only other reference of this happening I could initially remember was the Delta Flyer on Voyager in 30 Days. But you're right - in fact the holoship only only sat at the bottom of the lake but then went into orbit. Too bad that the writers/producers of Insurrection didn't actually show that ascension. That would have been cool.

edited to add: However IIRC the ship was not completely submerged.

10. phoenix96

phoenix96 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It was completely submerged until they drained the lake so that they could get access to it.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, the holoship was completely beneath the surface of the Ba'ku lake until Data accessed the nearby water pumping system and drained enough of the lake's content for three of them to paddle over to the ship in a raft and find an access hatch.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup, it traveled at warp from whatever Starfleet facility built it, entered the atmosphere, flew to the lake, soft landed and settled on the bottom, with all systems running and had the simulation of the Baku village running while underwater for possibly weeks.

And it was just a small portable holodeck with warp engines.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So had they submerged the Enterprise-E inside the lake for whatever reason in that film, you would have said "Ok" ?

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

If it was in any way germane to the story, sure. Why not?

15. F. King Daniel

I caught the end of the Stargate SG-1 episode "Gemini" earlier today, and they played the music from the Trek teaser (or something VERY similar) when Replicator Sam attacked. I guess it wasn't borrowed from Inception (even if that's what made the whole *BUUUUUH!* *pause* *BUUUUUUH!* thing popular)

16. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Woah. My comment went a little far. Lol

My thoughts are basically, if your gonna build a starship, build it so it can do everything, kinda like a Bond car of old. And I also forgot about the holoship.

Imagine the pitch:
    Int: paramount offices.
    Kurtzman and Orci: So, were on this planet, and we want to monitor Kirk and McCoys progress during a mission. Suggest using a sub for research/exploration purposes pre-installed on the Enterprise.
    Paramount execs: Sounds good. Show us what you got...
    JJ: HOLD IT! Why dont we use the whole damn ship as a sub? Would be totally frickin awesome.
    Orci: What about the science behind such a...
    JJ: fuck science! We want entertainment and awesomeness. This shit sells, guys.

Personally though, that image of it slowly rising looks awesome.

Oddly, this popped up on my twitter timeline a minute ago. Pretty apt.

[​IMG]

17. F. King Daniel

I didn't have a problem with the Holoship going underwater, and all Federation ships have nigh-on the same capabilities.

18. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I have less of a problem with it than a Klingon bird of prey floating in TVH.

19. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BOOM!

20. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wasn't floating, it was sinking.