Supernatural 8x2 "What's Up, Tiger Mommy?" Spoiler discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Episode 2 airs tomorrow night---or tonight--good people. :techman: Jeez, all these overtime hours are killing me, but being poor is a fine motivator. Enjoy. :)

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Supernatural 8x2 "What's Up, Tiger Mommy?" Spoiler discussion thr

Dorian, have you even had a chance to watch last week's episode?

ANd based on ratings season 9 looks pretty good, with Gossip Girl and 90210 starting teh season under a million and with a .4 adults 18-49.

Meaning SPN beat them in adults 18-49, adults 18-34, women and men demo groups from both demos...First time ever, for the premier episodes, for SPN to beat those two in all demo groups.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This will be the first Supernatural episode to air after Arrow. I wonder how much that will affect ratings? :confused:

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

No, I haven't mswood. I'm on my way out to work a veeeery long day. These last few weeks at work have been crazy as hell. I'm hoping to get everything caught up this weekend. I'm so tired I can barely breathe. Still, it's nice to be able to pay most of my bills. sigh

I want to get caught up. But i literally have been working, eating, and sleeping. Hopefully I can catch you later.

5. mswood

I liked this episode, about as much as last week's as (with one real exception) you didn't have the characters act or do something utterly stupid. The one stupid aspect was Sam not keeping Thor's hammer. Seriously, I am left to assume that someone comes and takes it away from him, otherwise he's an idiot. Less stupid motivation's that don't hold water, but also less artistic flourish in the direction.

I loved, loved Kevin's Mom, and thought Kevin was better in this episode then he had been previously.

The weakest part of the episode is of course the auction, luckily it wasn't a long portion of the episode. I kept having horrific flashbacks to Dean's Trial (God what a terrible episode that was, seriously).

Actually liked the Angel character. Certainly not how angel's have typically been portrayed host wise, a nice change.

But the meat of the episode was the banter, and build up, as well as the flashback's to Purgatory. The scene in the jail actually was fairly suspenseful. And was very effective (even without the mirroring to his flashback) in showing changes to Dean.

Though of course Crowley should have killed the boys at the end, but in the same Breathe, they should have Sam address why he can't take down Crowley (interesting that Crowley's smoke is Red, have we ever seen a Crossroad Demon's form, as Yellow eyes as king of Hell was still Black Smoke, and Lilith later as Queen of Hell was black smoke, so it has to be a Crossroad Demon thing...or a continuity error).. All call that situation a draw. Though seriously how hard would it be to actually freaking address it?

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Regarding Mjolnir, I'm dying to know who the creepy old man was. I almost thought he might have been Thor himself (despite the lack of physical prowess) considering the affectionate way he was coddling it. But in hindsight, he was much more likely someone like Sindri. Either way, it's a shame he died so quickly.

Also, we don't know if Sam left Mjolnir behind. Sure, we didn't see him pick it up, but there's no reason to assume he'd just leave it, especially after seeing it one-shot a supernatural like that.

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe only Kings of Hell get red smoke.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

This was a good episode. I'm dying to see what happened to Cass-- they seem to be implying that Dean betrayed him somehow. Kevin's mom was a nice addition and I wonder what will become of her. Also, that comment about Kevin's "real father" is bound to have some significance.

I was thinking it was more likely to be the guy who built it. The question is, how did Thor lose it and how did it come to be up for auction? I certainly hope Sam kept it and it wasn't just a joke they threw in to reference recent Marvel movies.

9. Mister Fandango

Sindri was, indeed, the guy who built it. :) There's also the fact that Dean was able to pick it up in the first place that's pretty significant. Sure, maybe not in real mythology, but in Marvel's mythology that's a huge deal. XD

And yes, so far they're making it look like Dean intentionally left Cas behind as payback for running away when they first got there. It's obviously going to be more complicated than that, but not by much. I'm willing to wager he could only house one entity inside himself in order to slip through the "hatch" and, since Benny showed more loyalty and comraderie during that time of need, he's the one Dean chooses... but only after Cas does something else to push him away that much more.

Plus Cas did turn into a real ass as God 2.0. So I'm sure that played into Dean's decision, too.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this one. Kevin's mom was a lot of fun, and I thought the auction stuff was pretty good.
    Yeah, I was wondering who the guy after Thor's hammer was supposed to be too. He definitely had a pretty strong emotional attachment to it. I hope that stuff is followed up on later. They seemed to give it a lot of attention for something that was barely connected to the main plot.

11. mswood

Azazel ruled hell his was Black, after Azazel was killed Lilith ruled Hell her's was Black...

12. mswood

All I could think of was Zap2it a few years ago did a cast an Avengers movie and their pick for Thor was Jared (Tall, muscular and long hair). It wouldn't surprise me if it was something like that which gave the writer the idea.

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

One question. If only humans can use the escape hatch from purgatory but monsters can piggyback them to escape, too, wah exactly is stopping Castiel?

The person we see as Castiel is a human vessel after all, isn't he? Castiel himself is a non corporeal entity using the guy as a meat suit. So the meat suit should be able to slip through taking Castiel with him no problem.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That could just be Castiel being represented as Jimmy for Dean's benefit. That's what he's used to seeing, so that's what he sees. It's a good point, though. I hadn't thought of that.

15. Mister Fandango

Considering how he was blown completely apart, reassembled, and filled with power equivalent to God himself... there's a good chance that's not Jimmy Novak anymore so much as a literal meat suit (if that) which just happens to look like him for sentimental reasons.

16. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone will really need to explain why Sam did not keep Mjolnir. The boys tend to keep weapons capable of killing Demons. Why would he leave that behind?

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He did keep it, but he received a cease and desist order from Disney (which is owned by Crowley, natch). :p

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

He put it in the trunk and when he came back it was a walking stick.

19. Mister Fandango

Again, we didn't not see him leave Mjolnir behind when they left. We only had like one or two quick scenes after he killed Sindri*.

Why he didn't bring it with him when he went to chase Dean is a valid question. But we have no idea if he just left the hammer on the floor when they left after everything was said and done.

20. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Satan ruling Hell at this time though? Weren't their missions to either open the gates of Hell (Azazel) or help Satan cross over into our realm? (Lilith) I didn't know they were the actual rulers. I thought they were middle management, so to speak.