Paddling a 16-year-old giirl at school: is everyone stupid here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll let you watch this first: Linky

Ok, first of all, I don't understand anything about why any of this would be allowed.

- school allows corporal punishment.
    - frail, petite 16, year-old girl would choose this over detention rather than accepting or (in this case, because she did nothing wrong) fighting detection. Her mom (at first) supporting it.

- That a male teacher would be the one doing it.

- Once bad vibes hit about this, the school continues to ALLOW corporal punishment, this time with necessary consent for all aspects.

They lost me at point one. I didn't know corporal punishment was allowed in this day and age.. it seems like everyone involved in this needs to have their head examined!

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Corporal punishment itself is a pretty bad idea with very limited applications (and even those are arguable.) Doing it to a teenager is just absurd and pointless.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, guys; I misread the title as "padding a 16-year old girl"! I thought, "What?! The school is actually advocating she stuff her bra?!"

Sincerely,

Bill

4. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    The amazing thing to me is that the video piece seems to think that the only problematic thing in the story is that the spanking was conducted by a member of the opposite sex.

5. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

It amazes me that the spanking left welts, yet *that* is not what they are complaining about! If a parent spanked their own child in such a way that it left welts, CPS would get involved. In another article I read on this case, the principal defended this as a "normal" result of a spanking. I would call the police if I witnessed something like that.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

What sort of civilised country allows corporal punishment in schools ?

In the UK it is called assault, and is quite illegal...

7. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Amen!

I live in the US, and I'm as shocked as you are. I had no idea that corporal punishment is still allowed in schools in some states.

8. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Is the place where this happen located in "The bible belt"?

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

How can a minor consent to physical assault?

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

WOW....its weird that a school still does it in this day and age....it's even weirder that it's in the form of a spanking and not the belt across the hand.....where did this come from, a Dickens novel. lol

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

What the hell?! A highschool spanking a teenage girl as a means of punishment?! What planet am I living on?

EDIT:

[looks into it a bit more]

[​IMG]

TEXAS!

Of course.

12. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that's pretty strange. I was at the zoo the other day and these two parents were yelling very loudly at their little boy (who was maybe four) and the dad spanked him really hard. Probably enough to leave a welt. I didn't really know what to do or say. I was just perplexed. I couldn't even imagine being in the room with this being done to a teenager. I can't even wrap my mind around how absurd this spanking thing is.

13. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

(after watching video)

What a nice acting young lady. Her mother seemed rather rational as well. Even going on to say that she didn't think the person administering the punishment meant to hurt her daughter, just that he was "too big and strong" to be paddling "98 pound girls".

The school followed policy and got mom's permission. The school didn't follow policy on the gender appropriate school official to administer punishment. That's the problem here.

What I like about this story is that there was a dispute and both sides seem to be handling it rationally. There was discussion, there was problem solving and there was a resolution.

Isn't that what we, as humans, should be doing?

It seems like everyone here so far has gotten their panties all bunched up over the corporal punishment. Yet you didn't see the young lady freaking out, screaming, yelling, cursing, calling lawyers and such.

She took the punishment like a man! She "cowgirled" up!

For a teeanger today to be that responsible, well...it's refreshing. To see a mother willing that her child be punished and not becoming a screaming, cussing, spitting, freak...that's a miracle all in itself.

(I'm not attempting to ascertain the correctness of the punishment or the reasons for it's being doled out - only that it was refreshing to see a story featuring mothers, teenage girls and a school told without lawyers, guns and money being involved!)

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, BDJ, to me it's both refreshing and horrifying at the same time. Refreshing for the reasons you mentioned. Horrifying that in the 21st century there are still seemingly good, rational people who consider corporal punishment to be appropriate for a school infraction.

Also, saying that the guy was too big and strong is a ridiculous excuse -- there are plenty of big, strong people around who know how to be gentle when gentleness is called for, and a small person can inflict plenty of damage with a paddle if they are so inclined. If the teacher (or administrator, whoever he was) was so incapable of judging his own strength, he had no business being allowed to administer punishments in the first place.

And now I've read somewhere (sorry, lost the link) that the school has solved the policy violation problem by changing the policy, so that staff members of either gender may now administer corporal punishment to any student. Talk about going backwards.

15. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

When i was a kid,if a teacher would have dared hit me,my mom would have kicked his ass so hard,he would still have felt it today.

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

There's no excuse for a teacher to lay hands on a student. It doesn't matter if someone agrees to it; it simply shouldn't happen.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So why is it legal?

Why isn't it being investigated by child services like it would be if a 16 year old girl was hit by any other person with authority over her, like a manager at work, coach of a sports team, pastor.. etc..?

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes, and the first reaction from the school on this problem?

Change the rule so that there could be cross-gender spankings.

Wonderful school.

Also, is it really logic to spank someone two years away from legally being an adult? I mean isn't a teenager well beyond the age where spankings should be administered?

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Actually, he has too much of a penis to be paddling/spanking a curvaceous 16 year old girl whether she weighs 98 pounds or 198 pounds. Yes, the fact that he's a man administering this is a serious problem before the issue of her getting welts from the paddling should ever come up.

Men....are allowed.....to spank teenage girls in Texas as long as it's at school and he's "punishing" her? :wtf: :wtf: I don't care if it's a paddle. The dude's giving the teenage cutie a spanking. Once I passed puberty, spanking was only administered in a sexual context with a partner.

In what world are grown men allowed to spank teenage girls? That's completely bizarre and unacceptable.

20. gturner

gturner Admiral

It's not like they flogged her, and it's still a better alternative to detention, where students risk their very lives either trying to dig escape tunnels or going over the wire and through the minefields to get to the woods.

She'll probably suffer much worse when she joins a sorority.