Just saw the scariest 20 minutes in cinema history.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Amasov, Jul 29, 2009.

1. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're thinking of the mini series adaption of
    It, then I've already seen it and yeah it creeped the hell out of me. On the other hand it was surprisingly good. Although technically a spider isn't an insect I guess.

2. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's a classic.

I wonder if the radio play on which it was based is available anywhere?

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Win!

4. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, it was very important for author William Peter Blatty that the person who directed the film version of The Exorcist be objective and agnostic on the subject, not necessarily a believer, the better to ensure that the results would be more credible. (BTW, director William Friedkin happens to be Jewish and not a Catholic.) I think that the objectivity that Friedkin brings to the film contributes to the film's disturbing nature.

I honestly didn't get the feeling from The Exorcist that anybody was really trying to "scare people back to church" (although I can certainly imagine that as a side-effect!) In Friedkin's own words, The Exorcist is a story about inexplicable events. And God (or who/whatever) only knows that life is full of them...

5. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

^That's not what I've read. I can't speak for Friedkin, but Blatty's intentions were clear, and have been fully explored by film historians.

IMO, if Friedkin truly thought he was making a film about "inexplicable events," he was kidding himself.

6. msbae

msbae Commodore

I laughed out loud for a good 15 minutes when I first saw The Exorcist back in 2003 when the 'crucifix scene' played. How did that movie ever scare anyone?

I saw Ghost Story not too long ago. It bored the Hell out of me. Seeing Alice Krige buck naked and fooling around was pretty nice, though. :techman:

It, Killer Klowns from Outer Space (a lost classic, IMO), Them, perhaps a few others.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral