Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MacLeod, May 20, 2013.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Some good points:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIrjBWeus0[/yt]

2. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

3. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've uncovered EXCLUSIVE news! One of Xbox One's exclusive games will be a throwback game that will incorporate the modern advances of the Always on Kinect sensor... It's called Personal Space Invaders!! ;)

You perform lewd acts in your living room and try to determine if the Kinect is transmitting it across the web!!

4. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am thankful that the XBOX 1 doesn't have the capability of capturing, analyzing, and storing my body scent. I suppose that will be for the next generation after this of game consoles.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't wait to see the awesome new technology of fish moving out of the way when you get close to them.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI[/yt]

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

From the guys who mocked the PS4 show...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOxdMQhDMIU[/yt]

7. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The video game market ruined itself when they made it so it costs so much to develop a game it's not worth it unless it sells 3 million copies. PS1 and PS2 had such legendary diverse libraries because smaller developers could sell 50,000 units and still make a profit.

Sony and Microsoft think they control the market so much that they can force it to do whatever they want. Well, those of us who are old have been buying games for 30 years, we can get our favorites on ebay for a few bucks each or by downloading them, and can entertain ourselves forever without buying any more new games. Those of you who are young really like portables and handheld games, and have parents who are too smart to go for this shit. No game will ever sell enough millions of copies to justify the millions of dollars it now costs to develop a game.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'd not say it's the market's fault but the technology itself and the gamers.

Technology because it improves the visual experience and thus you need to develop more complicated and challenging games.. textures need to have higher resolutions and everything has to be bigger, better and brighter to even get noticed.

Which brings me to the gamers themselves.. it's similar to movie development since the invention of the summer blockbuster. Audiences want an ever increasing factor of wow.. an assault on all senses and since this sells developers produce it which is also why we are getting the umpteenth version of a franchise instead of a groundbreaking new game (which usually are big hits prompting endless sequels).

Smaller games still do have a market and new possibilities exactly because of new consoles, be it MS's Marketplace or whatever Sony's version is named. There developers can release smaller games and cut out all the pesky physical production of the product and lower costs. Those games are not huge Call of Duty/Battlefield/GTA events but you can find real innovative games sometimes that do manage to find an audience.

10. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

11. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoever created the infographic doesn't seem to understand that it's not the webcam that gets hacked, it's the host computer. Otherwise... all fair points.

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Cool graphic - sending it to friends and family with XBox 360's.

13. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yahtzee presents his Next Gen Buyer's Guide. I found his take on the Wii U especially hilarious.

Spoilers. It's not positive.

14. throwback

Angry Joe recently did a video on the updated information from Microsoft.

http://angryjoeshow.com/2013/06/xbox-one-angry-rant-pt-2/

My family is poor. We don't have the money for me to buy new games. We have to be selective about we buy. There are things we want. I am interested in the Official Star Trek Starships Collection, but, with it costing $1560 to get the whole set, I have to pass.

If it comes to pass that there is no used games, and if it comes to pass that Gamefly is out of business, then I will have to stop playing video games. My mother is adamant against using the computer for games.

15. 137th Gebirg

Why is she against using a PC for games? They're far more customizable than consoles and gaming was one of the biggest uses of PC's back in the 90's and early 2000's before consoles started dominating the market. And, with this new Orwellian slant the consoles seem to be taking, the PC's will likely be popular for gaming once again.

Provided your PC has a decent video card, it should suffice and may even be better than the 360, depending on what it was loaded with.

16. throwback

We use the computer for other things, and I think she is afraid that I will get caught up in something like World of Warcraft. (Is that the title?)

Some people have been predicting the demise of the console. I think Microsoft has taken a giant stride toward the demise of the console.

Our family is looking for a new computer, and we are actively looking at the Apple. We are liking Microsoft's products less, because with each iteration of their products, they seem to get worse.

17. TheMurph

TheMurph Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always been a console fan, and I liked the Xbox and the 360. However if and when I do make the jump to the next gen platform it will be with the PS4... that is unless it will be following the same used game policy as MS.

18. 137th Gebirg

^^^ There are rumors right now that they are, just not substantiated yet, as I guess they were only a little less stupid than Microsoft for not admitting to them in their release announcement that happened a month or so before.

This is the way of the future. They want to know things about you, ostensibly to ensure their flavor of DRM, as well as to know what kind of adverts to waste your time with based on behavioral patterns and other discernible biometrics. Sony won't want to be left behind on this. And don't nobody tell me these things won't be tied into Prism, now that we know it's been a reality for years and would be perfectly suited for gathering biometric datapoints. For all we know, R&D on this kind of technology was subsidized by various agencies to build in those humint gathering hooks from the get-go. It's no longer good old paranoia when it's real... Kinda makes me pine for the quaint old days of warrantless wiretapping back in the Bush years...

Shit, all these Orwellian shenanigans might actually help boost the sales of the poor old struggling Wii platform! Who'da thunk it?

19. throwback

The government is already collecting data on an undetermined number of Americans. Anonymity is a thing of the past.

If games were equivalent to books, which I think they are as both are intellectual properties, then the practice described by Microsoft would be on par with closing libraries and used book stores and restricting people's abilities to do what they want with their books. I am sure that Sony will have a similar policy in place - they are listed with Microsoft as having observed DRM on Wikipedia.

20. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I was already turned off by the mandatory internet connection, but this kinect business is creepy as fuck. That makes my decision to not buy it much easier. If Sony does something similar, I guess I'll be saying goodbye to console gaming for the foreseeable future.

I think the gaming industry is taking it's existence a little too much for granted. They're luxury goods in a recession. It might be a good idea for them to remember that from time to time.