Apollo makes a comeback!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Gary7, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, sort of... the actor (Michael Forrest) who originally played Apollo in "Who Mourns for Adonais" reprises his role once again with a "Star Trek Continues" fan production episode. Some of you already know about it, but since the general thread about the episode "Pilgrim of Eternity" was moved to the Fan Productions section, I figured I'd post about it here.

His performance is quite different than the original episode, partly because he's so much older, but also because the character has changed. I think he did a great job considering the venue.

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I did not know that, so thanks for posting this. IMO, Forrest's performance as Apollo was one of the best of TOS so, while I am not expecting this to be on par with that, I am definitely going to take the time to check this out.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You might be pleasantly surprised. A lot of folks have been quite impressed by this fan production.

4. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

The guy who plays Kirk looks like Jack Lord.

5. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This has got to be a record for time gap between portrayals of the same character by the same actor.

6. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

...a record probably previously held by William Windom, who reprised his role of Commodore Matt Decker after about 40 years in "In Harm's Way."

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, I think he channels Shatner pretty well, and from certain angles, he looks a lot like him.

I thought it was unfortunate Chris Doohan wasn't cast as Scotty in the reboot, and glad to see him as Scotty here. His Scotty is far superior to that of Simon Pegg, IMHO

The Enterprise sets are so dead on, it looks exactly like TOS. Would anyone know if this production happens to be using the same sets as that Exeter show?

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The sets aren't truly exact (nor would I expect them to be), but the few differences I've seen (notably on the bridge) are very minor.

9. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, regardless, I thought they were dead on. And given that ships in Star Trek, or in real life, often go through a constant stage of upgrades, any minor differences could be forgiven when you think of it that way.

BTW Michael Forrest was brilliant in that episode. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. Scotty's "experiment" in the beginning was a nice touch, too.

10. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Now to get Brian Blessed as Zeus...

12. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

He does indeed. What's remarkable is that you'll see certain gestures, facial expressions and movements that reflect some of Shatner's incarnation of Kirk, but not to the point of exactly cloning... which gives his portrayal originality while still capturing the essence of how we see Kirk. It's brilliant. There's also the luck of his facial structure, which lends itself well, not to mention his mid section having just the right "stoutness". Although Vic is also clearly more muscular than Shatner was back in TOS days, evident by simply looking at his upper body.

I'd thought about that as well, but a potential problem is that Chris Doohan may not be young enough. Although in TOS it sure looked like Scotty was a couple of years older than Shatner, Chris Doohan would look a good decade or more older than Chris Pine.

13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I posted in the other thread and I'll post here: this made my whole week! It is great. Aside from the terrific production values, its story is VERY humane and Trek-ish!

14. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Billy Mumy also reprised his role as Anthony Fremont after forty years.

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny, I always thought Scotty and Bones were both mid-forties to Kirk's 34-ish and most Lt.s' twenties.

16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Gary, it was MOVED THERE FOR A REASON. It's Fan Production, not TOS.

Don't restart a thread that was moved!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.