Janeway on Cheers

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by lordbaltimore1, May 25, 2013.

1. lordbaltimore1

lordbaltimore1 Ensign Red Shirt

Anyone watch the 3 parter from Cheers called Strange Bedfellows? It seems Kate's character on that show was the template for Janeway. The similarities are pretty striking. She was smart enough to realize that Sam was never going to get over Diane, even though I thought they made a much better couple.

I liked that she gave Diane a run for her money...leave it to our favorite captain to outclass Cheers' most obnoxious character.

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I actually saw those episodes years before Voyager, but it wasn't until a Cheers rewatch a couple years ago that I made the "Hey, that's Janeway!" connection.

I think that might have been the closest thing Sam had to a healthy relationship. Not that it was that close, mind you. ;)

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

She was awesome on Murphy Brown too as a guest star.

I think a lot of Kate just comes out in most of her characters.

4. TrekkingThru

TrekkingThru Ensign Newbie

I did not remember her being in Cheers, so I just watched the episodes again. What strikes me is the thing that made her such an amazing Captain -- Mulgrew has a commanding presence no matter what she is doing. She is one of those women that just takes charge of room, and simply by being there people pay attention to her. I'm sure her theatrical training helped to hone those skills, but part of it is an inborn trait that some people are blessed with. It is that part of her that carries over into every character she plays whether tv, film, or stage.

5. Captain Kathryn

Yeah after watching like a hundred interviews with Kate, I'm pretty certain that is just her nature.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I saw her on Cheers before I ever saw VOY I was quite enamored with her. I thought she was very striking.

heh..

7. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I love Cheers and yes, there are a lot of similarities between that character and Janeway. She does a strong presence very well, and still can appear very feminine which is something not a lot of women can pull off.

8. teacake

:: faints at the sight of Kestra ::

Oh she wowed me.. scary and stunning and commanding and waaay too good for that idiot male.

9. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Haha I do lurk in other forums sometimes. Also I find Sam attractive, but yeah not the best person to be in a relationship with. She was intimidating for sure, but I couldn't really make up my mind about her character. I liked when she was straightforward rather than manipulative.

10. teacake

She wasn't as intimidating as Lilith..

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

No one is as intimidating as Lilith.

Except, maybe, the Borg Queen.

12. Captain Kathryn

I think Lilith could stare down the Borg Queen til she crumbled.,

13. lordbaltimore1

lordbaltimore1 Ensign Red Shirt