First time watching Enterprise!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Merlanthe, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Loving the reviews!!

2. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Glad your enjoying them :)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yes, well done. I didn't see the entire series until getting the collection last month, and my reviews are still in early first season.

4. Merlanthe

Does that mean you've already seen most of the series? I'm up to episode 12 of season 2 but have fallen behind on posting my thoughts. I hope to catch up with myself this teusday where i have a rare day with nothing to do :)

5. Melakon

I started watching the series in first run, but then financial problems hit before the end of the second season, and where I live now I can't afford cable or a tv that picks up digital broadcast, so I've not seen real television in over 7 years. I bought some used dvd fan collections in January which had the Mirror Universe show and a few others. That motivated me to save money to buy the complete series, which I'd been wanting since before Christmas. Fixed incomes are no fun, money's often gone before the next month.

6. Merlanthe

Shockwave part 1 & 2

So the dead colonists dont get any resurrection at the end of the episode? If what happens in the present affects the future then couldn’t Daniels and Archer have gone back to an earlier point in time and saved the colonists from being destroyed and the Enterprise crew from suffering at the hands of the Suliban?

I don’t particularly mind that the colonists stayed dead since we never saw them onscreen so they effectively remain an entire colony of nameless faceless redshirts. It does really bother me that our regular cast only felt bad about what happened to the colony when they believe they were responsible. They dont have to mope about all depressed and apathetic but they should still feel some sadness at how all those innocent people they were about to meet and befriend on behalf of earth died horribly right in front of them. But no, once its confirmed that it was the nasty Suliban who were truly responsible for the disaster they immediately cease to feel bad and return to their normal chipper selves like someone pressed the reset button on their emotions. Its really annoying how the dead colony is obviously just there as a plot device.

Why didn’t we get to see more of Archer and Daniels struggle to communicate with the past? Or more of the Suliban ran ship and torturing random crewmembers for intel whilst our regular crew plotting their escape from their quarters whilst avoiding the attention of the Suliban guards? This could have been a good prisoner of war episode. Also I’m fairly certain that Hoshi was wearing a bra whilst crawling round the crawl spaces and that it magically reappears after she gets the shirt form Reed so why isn’t she inbetween? Was that just to give Reed some fanservice? Though Reed’s facial expression was worth it. you can see the whole plan disappear for a minute to be replaced with topless woman in my quarters aaargh overload overload emergency reboot!

Theres quite a lot in this two-parter that annoys or disappoints me the main thing being the obviousness that the writers aren’t sure where their going with this time travel plot so this Shockwave 1 & 2 only get 2 and a half stars.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always loved T'Pol's religion like faith in the Vulcan Institute of Science declaring there's no time travel. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in it either... but if I saw the evidence right in front of me, I think reevaluating that belief would be... logical.

But making sense would undermine the purpose of the episode.

8. Merlanthe

Carbon Creek

This was…interesting. I like the idea of Vulcans stranded on primitive earth but not the whole inventing Velcro, which was invented in 1948 by Swiss electrical engineer George De Mestral who lived in Switzerland and didn’t patent his invention until 1955 and yes I did just look that up on Wikipedia. Why not just have her fix one of the replicators on the crashed ship and replicate some gold then exchange it for cash and put the cash in the jar. She could even skip the gold part altogether and just replicate some cash. Either way would have been much simpler without breaking my suspension of disbelief.

I like the friendship that formed between T’Mir and the lad with college aspirirations as well as the romance that developed between his mother and the nice Vulcan guy who chose to stay on earth. Hey maybe there are already human/Vulcan hybrids running round that would be cool. Anyhow this episode gets 3 stars.

Minefield

Romulans yaay! I like the reference to how Archer tried to read about them in the future library but Daniels wouldn’t let him. I also love how heavily Reed gets featured in this episode. Archer invites him for breakfast so he can get to know him and ends up getting to know him during a tense life or death situation instead. Its funny how Reed seems to open up to others most when he is convinced of his own impending doom. I do wonder how the Romulans expected the Enterprise to be able to leave orbit and exit Romulan territory when they were surrounded by cloaked mines. Granted our regular cast had figured out a way to see the cloaked mines but the Romulans didn’t know that. They were probably hoping that Enterprise would hit a mine on the way out and explode. Romulans are such horrible Jerks and yet are totally awesome whilst being horrible jerks.

This episode gets 4 and a half stars.

9. Merlanthe

Dead Stop

OMG that station is so creeeepy! Seriously it freaked me out but then I have always prefer interacting with a person to automated computerised stuff I’m kinda old fashioned that way. Anyhow I like that the ship didn’t magically repair itself in between episodes but then Enterprise has been fairly consistent so far in not having damage magically disappear or referencing having had to repair stuff unlike a certain other ship I could mention but wont. I also like the wonder everyone shows at the replicator and repair technology. I sometimes forget that these guys haven’t developed that level of technology yet.

I do think it was weird that the station went to the trouble of faking Travis death and abducting him when at almost the exact same time or shortly before it had to transport Trip and Reed back to the Enterprise bridge after their ill advised attempt to get a look at its data processing unit. If I was that creepy alien station I would have just replicated a chargrilled version of one or both of those idiots and pretended that something went wrong in transport. After all its never had to transport a human before.

I do wonder if with all those races abducted for use in its data processing is it a case of abducting a new unit when an old one begins to wear out form old age or, since I only saw one of each species there, is it a case of maintaining the current units indefinitely with its advanced medical tech and abducting someone new whenever it encounters a new race? Also since Enterprise encounters a Tellarite vessel I assume they are near Tellarite space and since Tellarites are founding members of the Federation I assume that creepy station is located deep within what will one day be Federation territory. So if that station is so indestructible and can repair itself does that mean its still there when Picard and crew are whizzing round exploring? Is it still there when the Domion are invading? Did they they just erect a large barrier around it with a sign saying danger do not enter?

This episode gets 3 and a half stars.

A Night In Sickbay

The bat is so cute!!! And Phlox is adorkable in his nightly grooming rituals. Why do I get the feeling that his saliva, like his toe nails, probably also serves as food for one of his many animals. Its kinda predictable that Archer wouldn’t sleep any better in sickbay than in his room. Even though its upsetting that the aliens didn’t check whether their world was safe for Porthos to frolic in and I did want them to apologise over that it was hard to be sympathetic when Archer was being so petty and unreasonable. He kept taking his anger out on T’Pol and other members of the crew and nearly screwed over diplomatic relations with another race because of personal reasons.

Also it feels like all of Archers progress during season 1 of learning to tolerate Vulcans and trust T’Pol and treat her like a valued member of the crew got thrown straight out of the airlock. And the justification for all the anger and vitriol he spewed at her was because he is subconsciously attracted to her? Well that came completely out of left field. I was fairly certain that Trip had been subconsciously crushing of the Vulcan science officer since early season 1 but I hadn’t seen anything to indicate Archer also found her attractive. Hopefully now that he’s aware of his feelings and their inappropriateness he can revert back to his more tolerant self though I get the feeling angry Archer might be around for a while.

I give this episode 1 and a half stars because of the adorable bat and the adorkable Phlox. Everything else can just go out the airlock along with Archers character development.

10. Merlanthe

Yeah i found her continued denial funny and adorable at the same time. With regards to Shockwave part 2 she had just been subject to quite nasty looking torture at the hands of teh Suliban and seemed to have retreated to an almost catatonic state. She wasnt answering Trips attempts to communicate with her til Archer appeared from the future and it semed to me like she thought he was an hallucination created by her tortured mind. He had to convince her to turn around and that he was really there.

I cant recall if she still denies time travel at the end of the episode and it doesnt seem to have come up in following episodes.

11. R. Star

Carbon Creek was a fluff episode. Fish out of water Vulcans among 50's humans has a novelty value to it. Though the "Moe" the Vulcan getting all disgusted when the main guy suggests eating a deer is just silly. Okay you're vegetarians. I bet even the most hardcore vegetarian would eat meat if it's a matter of life and death. It's... logical. I liked the "I love Lucy is on" line too. My biggest complaint is they sidelined everyone else in favor of the big three that episode. They could've given Reed, Hoshi and Phlox a few lines at the table. Phlox probably would have some interesting commentary.

Minefield was a pretty good episode. My biggest gripe on that one though is Archer going out there at all, but I suppose logic aside the whole point of the episode is for Reed and Archer to bond. As for why Reed opens up when there's danger? He's the guy who likes to blow crap up. He's not living at all if there's not imminent death for someone.

Dead Stop... I liked this one, if just for the continuity value. Usually after the ship takes damage, next week they show up just hunky dory fine with no explanation. They even remembered Trip's lame crashing into the ship during the pilot. The human eating Matrix battery space station thing is a bit silly. Anything advanced enough to to automated repairs and just materialize entire bulkheads out of nothing surely has a better power source than a few redshirts from various ships.

A Night in Sickbay... Archer is an idiot and needs to leave his dog home. Enough said.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pay close attention to how many women Archer gets during Enterprise's four years.

13. Melakon

Archer never acquired the love for his ship that Kirk had. That security left Kirk free for his many dalliances, knowing his real soulmate was back home keeping dinner warm.

14. teacake

The NX-01 never loved Archer. Never.

The NX-02 loved Hernandez though. You could see the way she (the NX-02, not Erika) pulsed when Erika was sitting in the big chair stroking the arm rests.

15. R. Star

Pft, the disco lights were just there so it didn't completely mirror the Enterprise bridge set. Besides Hernandez's judgement is questionable... look at her main love interest.

16. teacake

You know she leaves Archer, what little of him she was connected to, for the NX-02 right?

17. Merlanthe

Er are you guys discussing future plot developments or your personal head cannon?

I'm really hoping its your head canon because if its future plot developments then i just found out we get a second enterprise with a female captain who may be a former girlfriend of Archers which i did not see coming and im not gonna ask when that happens since i dont want to hear spoilers places hands over ears and slowly runs away singing la la la la lah

18. teacake

It's mostly bullshit (otherwise known as fantasy head canon) about a very minor character Merlanthe but I apologize for having said anything about anything you weren't up to.

I will be very careful in the future in your thread :(

19. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Well played.

20. R. Star

I'll offer apologies too! There's some substance to what we're saying, but mostly it's just the usual silly banter!