Rare Star Trek Photos for September 2008

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Frontier, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

Damn, Persis looks good enough to eat :devil:

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Afraid not. I may run across one some day, but I found that one on a total lucky fluke. I had never even seen it before myself -- and in doing all this digging for rare materials, I've seen more than most people outside of Paramount!

I've got more Persis for the future, too. ;) I tend to spread what I know to be popular out over the articles, lol. So I've got a small cache of more Persis for you all! :lol: She was a fox, though. I never really dug her, with the baldness and such, but with hair? HOTTY! :drool:

4. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I hope that means the ones you've got lined up are ones with hair? ;)

5. Rhaenys

Rhaenys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the photos. :)

TNG stuff is my favorite, and I'm glad to hear you have a lot of that. :D

6. Frontier

Some. ;)

7. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

I love the Susan Oliver pic. Never seen that particular photo before....

RARRRRAHHHH !!!!

8. Frontier

Hehehe, that is why these are called "rare" photos. ;) ;)

9. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

1. Love that Riker shot. I'd have gone for Nemesis-era too, although at a stretch is it possible it's Insurrection-era?

2. That Frasier sketch is genius.

3. Post the Voyager material!

And, you know, thank you for doing this. :D

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It was Kelsey Grammer who was the avid ST fan. The whole skit was done for him, so he could be involved in the ST special. At the last minute he became gravely ill, a relapse of his fight against alcoholism(?) and he was shunted off to a clinic. Kate Mulgrew stepped in at the last minute, to say the scripted lines of "the captain", so the skit could go ahead as planned. They'd be official costumes in the pic, from the Paramount wardrobe department.

11. Frontier

I'm wondering if maybe, just maybe, it's something unique. Something perhaps Frakes had done himself at some point between the two films? I'm sure he either had, or could have gotten a uniform if he wanted. The reason I theorize this is that, it really doesn't look like either time period. It looks unique, and in the middle. Also, it doesn't fit the scheme of any other publicity photos. It's setting is totally unique. Someday, when I meet Jonathan again, I'll have to ask him about the photo - I have an 8x10 of it.

I never knew that before. Poor Kelsey. I mean, not just for the relapse, but to loose out on the opportunity to do that? That's one of those things you kick yourself about years later.

12. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I've had that shot on my hd for years. I used to know where it came from. It's part of a set that comes with this one:

[​IMG]

It is an "off duty" shot (its the actor, not the character). In both of these stills, Frakes is wearing his wedding ring. At the time they were both unique in that there were no other posed shots with Frakes wearning a wedding ring in uniform. I think it may have come from a dvd magazine and the issue was about him directing. I'm afraid I can't remember more (old age...)

ETA: Where is that shot of Marina/Troi from? The one with the dinner setting? Is it from the outtake scene from Nemesis when she and Riker are having dinner with Worf?

I love that shot of Picard and Riker! it really captures the atmosphere of TNG when it first aired. There were a lot of "staring into the distance" images in those days.

ETA2. This shot, differes slightly from the one posted at Trek Core. You can see a Borg in this one, cropped from the other. (actually, it isn't cropped now I come to check. It's a different shot).

[​IMG]

The date this was first modified onto my hard drive was 1998. So, it's pretty old now. Is that post FC?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  13. Frontier

Well, I think WillsBabe just answered some questions about the photo, while likewise presenting us with a few more questions!

It would seem the time frame from the photo is even older than thought, then. Sometime between FC (1996) and INS (1998) or around the time of INS (1998) at the latest.

Now I'm even more curious. And I really want a larger copy of that other Riker photo!

To answer your Q, yes, that photo of Troi is from the cut scene where they where eating in the Mess Hall.

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Which one do you want the larger copy of? The one with the Borg or the "sun" orange one? I don't have a larger copy of the Borg one but I'm happy to send you a larger copy of the other one.

I think this photo shoot was about the time of FC. I think that this shot of Frakes

[​IMG]

was taken at the same time. I'm basing this on the face that his appearance is very similar and that could be the same Borg in the background. I know that this was taken at the time of FC.

15. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

Thank you so much for sharing all of these, they're wonderful. I always wonder how many there'll be I haven't seen, and you always manage to produce so many that are new to me.

And as far as I'm concerned, the more Voyager, the better!

Thanks again,
    Mad :)

16. Frontier

:techman:

I really love doing it. It's become a hobby of mine, and a bit of a passion. Preserving Star Trek's history is important. It's a part of who we are, what we love, and it should not just be forgotten or lost. Star Trek is very unique, as is it's impact on pop culture. Keeping as much of it's past alive and around is an important thing, and something we can all actually do just by little things like this. The more we share the rare things we have, the more they become secure for the future. People save them, use them later, re-upload them, re-distribute them, and while always being rare, they become known rarities, rather than things we forgot or never even knew existed.

So if you've got something you think might be rare, make sure to PM me here with it! I'm always open for submissions, and it will help ensure it's survival and that everyone can enjoy it. After all, what good is having a rare thing if no one else knows about it? ;)

I'm actually curious; how many of you save even just one image you see from these Rare Photos? Has anyone ever re-used any of it elsewhere? Avatar, another website, a project of your own? Part of why I go to the lengths I do to put it out there is to make sure it's enjoyed and goes on beyond just being shown to you once, here. If you guys had any idea how much money I've spent on this project, LOL, you'd call me insane! :lol: So make good use of my insanity!

17. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

I've been saving a few, yeah, like these Riker ones (particularly that one in the gallery we've been debating because it is a lovely, lovely photo).

18. I always look forward to all the rare photos you find, most of 'em I've never seen before, and they're all quite cool! You really do a great job. :techman:

I've been considering using that Riker image as a new av.

19. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

For the Kes image alone, I am forever your Bitch.

20. Frontier

LMAO!

:guffaw:

I'd ask for that in writing, but I already have it! :p