Enterprise Pic

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by bdb, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now, is Earth the backdrop to this shot... or is this supposed to look like it's taking place on the surface. And if on the surface, is it a funny little in-joke from Abrams to the fans, as in: Yeah, yeah, I'm building your Enterprise right here!?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are some big-ass engines. :thumbsup:

3. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^
    Uh, well... there's a thread that describes the whole trailer. Don't wanna post anything spoilery here.

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

A damn fine ship.

"I've already got a female to worry about, her name's the Enterprise." (James T. Kirk)

5. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. This looks awesome. Turns out they know what they're doing! Didn't see that coming :lol:

6. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

I'm a purist, and i love it. it gets me excited, waiting throughout this year for the movie to come out is gonna take forever. As a purist, i didn't want it to be a design that was completely different. This pic shows that it isn't and i am completely happy and satisfied. I think Gene would be happy about his pic and design. Lets see how the story turns out. Long live star trek!!

7. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think once Scotty throws the switch to turn on the orange lights in the nacelle caps, they will look complete.

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, my first impression is pretty good. Definitely some differences from the classic design. The nacelles look absolutely freakin’ huge in proportion to the saucer, though I think at least some of that is due to the focal length of the “camera.” In fact, the nacelles look more like airliner jet engines, probably where the “aircraft-like” reference came from. I wonder if we’re seeing the actual nacelles or if there is something covering them. Almost none of the familiar details seem to be there except a hint of the intercooler fins at the back. The spiral bussard blades are interesting. I’m guessing we’re seeing the guts before the domes are installed.

The whole bridge area is different. The bridge itself seems to have gotten bigger, possibly high-ceilinged or even multi-story, while the B/C deck teardrop has also expanded but gotten shorter.

I wouldn’t read too much into the color of the hull. I think it’s getting most of its tint from the bluish sky and the blue-white work lights. In normal light, it could be anything from pure white to gray or greenish blue. Although the paneling detail is clearly visible, it doesn’t appear to be an actual pattern like the so-called “aztecing” on the TMP refit. The font is also clearly different, more like the refit than the original.

So far, I’m impressed, though I’m bothered by the warp engines. If they’re really that big, I think the proportions of the ship are going to be radically different than we are used to.

9. Barbados Slim

Barbados Slim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't give a rat's ass about the details. All I know is I got an emotional reaction to seeing the Enterprise for the first time in ages.

10. MisterPL

MisterPL Commander Red Shirt

Well I guess I'm gonna have to be the first one to call shenanigans. As big as this set is, it should show up on Google™ Earth. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find it anywhere on the Paramount lot. I'm thinking this is fake.

But it's still very entertaining.

11. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah, but remember we're seeing only a TINY portion of the primary hull there... if this image takes up the whole screen, then the primary hull would take up two screen widths or so.

The nacelles... at least in the area that clearly has a "skin" on it, near the bussards... seems to me to be about the right size, actually.

Bear in mind, also (not that you need reminded of this, I'm saying to EVERYONE) that what we're seeing here is a teaser, intended to garner interest in NON-TREK-FANS, for a film that's nearly a year away from release.

This sequence almost certainly wont' be seen on-screen... and may end up having little to do with what's eventually seen. Not saying it WON'T... just that we don't know that what we see in a year might not be dramatically revised.

I LOVE this trailer... it does what it needs to do... draws the audience in with a lot of interesting stuff, gets them excited... THEN tells them "oh yeah, by the way, THIS IS STAR TREK!" :)

12. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope this is deadpan sarcasm.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Are they building the ship on the "Aliens" homeworld? the atmosphere is really dark. I thought it would on a bright clear day in San Franciso.

Love the picture, the huge jet engines are great

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see it now, the Enterprise vs. Trek XI continuty argument as to why the NX enterprise (and Columbia) was built in a space dock and the movie Ent built on Earth. I'm sure ther are a ton of reason they can explain it.

15. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About the nacelles. You're not thinking they are curving inward are you? As far as I can tell, they are the same dome shaped fans but lack the actual dome, nor i there any back lighting. I think this creating a difficult optical effect.

The 'airplane' comment from the description of the trailer, and some comments I've read here, make me wonder if that's what people are seeing. I can certainly see that, I had to look carefully to understand.

16. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the engine size is a trick of perspective. We almost never see the ENT this close up.

17. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well we don't know that - all we know was she got her finishing touches in Spacedock. For all we know the NX-01's main hull was made on Earth.

Sharr

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda gives new meaning to this old fan favorite pic:

[​IMG]

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I can live with that

Built on earth, then moved into space for final preparations

20. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I was thinking of that very picture when I saw the new one.

As for the "new" E....I'm diggin' it.