DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinda sad about Blue Beetle.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankenstein is the only one I'm reading and I was going to drop it after Rotworld but perhaps I'll stick around for the final issues.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew the rights lawsuit was nasty...but had no idea just how nasty.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10...er-takes-on-warners-over-superman-court-case/

Also this bizarre stance on Stephanie Brown from DC Editorial continues to baffle me. DC I don't think has ever come out and explained why they've changed their minds on using Steph. Apparently they are just dead set against using her. Morrison and Snyder state that they both made pitches of a kind to use her but were told "no".

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/16/the-curse-of-stephanie-brown-continues/

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I tried to record that Young Justice episode twice and each time a completely different tv show episode was recorded. I thought there was a problem with my DVR but this makes me think otherwise. Did anybody else have a similar problem?

EDIT: Just saw this:
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...abruptly-pulls-dc-nation-from-october-lineup/

Do we have a YJ or GL:TAS or DC Nation thread on Trek BBS so I can go there and whine about it?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Yup.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm almost tempted to believe that Stephanie Brown's appearance in YJ was what got it pulled, but that wouldn't explain GL.

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, so I just read Phantom Stranger #1. It featured Raven (I mean Rachel :rolleyes: ) in her first New 52 appearance (that I know of). Yeah, so here's another Perez/Wolfman creation that DC has messed up (although not anywhere nearly as bad as starfire). She seemed to be pretty emotional, and overall more like a normal person, so they not only missed the point, but they also just used her just to tick off people. The Stranger just delivers her to Trigon (which is really starting to make me think even more that the voice/person Stranger obeys is a demon, if not the actual devil), and she will probably not be seen again, unless Scott Lobdell needs her for a human/alien/half demoness threesome with Roy Harper and Starfire in Red Hood and the Outlaws :mad:

I'll give stranger one more issue. The thing that really sucks is that I'm reading the first volume of DC Showcase Presents: Phantom Stranger, and the old stuff is very entertaining. He's a mysterious figure who fights the forces of evil in weird, supernatural circumstances (most of the time), and thats cool. I really don't need to read a book about Judas working for the devil (I don't care if they imply its God, in two issues he has created the spectre and delivered an innocent person to her demonic father so that he can turn her into his loyal daughter, that seems pretty evil to me) to repay for his betrayal. The whole point of the character is that he is a stranger, you're not supposed to know his past, and he's definately not supposed to be doing evil, even if it somehow "works out" in the end.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I picked up one issue of Phantom Stranger, and decided that was it. I'm not gonna read a book about a character that goes around doing terrible terrible things to characters that I like.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It is really too bad about Blue Beetle. DC has really tried to create non-white characters in leading roles, but they can't seem to get the numbers right.

Not too sad about Legion Lost because this really seems to be a single story line any way and has always had the feeling it was a limited series. Perhaps we will get another 30th century series?

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they are afraid of a possible fan backlash. It's the same for Cassandra Cain.

11. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I think you missed the point of Phantom Stranger. He had to deliver Rachel to the people who could train her in her abilities. The only people who could do this are her father and his minions. If this doesnt occur she will never become Raven and be strong enough to stand against him when the time comes. Rachel would have just been a tortured young girl unable to control her ability wandering the Earth feeling only pain. Now that would have been evil.
    I was more interested in this family he had at the end of the story. Are they figments of his mind or some real family he has in an effort to find some happiness? Will their deaths make him even more a stranger? I am looking forward to finding out.

12. Admiral_Young

Didio talks about Stephanie Brown finally.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-didio-stephanie-brown-full-answer.html

I get the fact that they don't want to reintroduce characters right away...but I think my own personal problem with their stance, is that they basically did that at first. We were told quite specifically that Stephanie would return as The Spoiler. Then they went ahead and did nothing with her. It's still very weird.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I hope DC never reintroduces Cassandra Cain. She's my favorite Batgirl, and is one of my top ten favorite superheroes. DC has already destroyed my favorite hero (Captain Marvel), and others heroes/villains I really like. I don't need to see cassandra as a hyper active, fast talking, bubbly high schooler with no fighting skills who is the daughter of Katana and Alfred, and knowing DC what I just said is probably not too far off the mark. Heck, pre-52 DC already screwed her up once, by letting a writer who (from what I remember) admitted to never reading her series turn her into a villain and basically mess up over 70 issues of character development. I really like Cassandra, but I hope she can just stay in limbo until the next reboot.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems to obvious to me that Brown/Cain are shelved because DC wants to emphasize Barbara Gordon first and Batwoman second; it's about dilution. But the twist is that they not only want to emphasize the current Batgirl and Batwoman (and the current Flash), they have an even more vested interest in "proving" the claim that people were clamoring to get Gordon back (and Barry Allen, etc). The DC architects wanted this, but they want you to think you wanted it, too. We were always at war with Oceana.

Sarcasm aside, it makes sense to do it this way. It's their IP farm, anyways.

15. OdoWanKenobi

Hmmmm, one issue after Lee departs Justice League and I already see an improvement in the characters and their interactions. Could our theories about his co-plotting have been true after all? Heck, I think the art is better in this one, too.

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Supergirl and Catwoman today.

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The improvement in Daniel's art is remarkable.

18. OdoWanKenobi

I know. The first splash page with Wonder Woman and Cheetah was so stunning that I felt like I had to go back and make sure I had read who the artist was correctly. I didn't know Daniel had it in him. I also loved the bit between Flash and Cyborg.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Anyone see the preview for the next issue of "Superman"? Looks very interesting.

20. Admiral_Young

Dr. Veritas. Heh. Kenneth Rocafort's art is simply stunning. I was a big fan of his during Paul Cornell's Action Comics run. He's the right artist for this book.