Bridge Ideas/Help SS New York...

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by K'riq Sa, May 28, 2008.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Cool, glad to meet your approval. I wouldn't go with C-shaped ribs as I think they might get too much in the way, these angles clear the floor a bit. (of course, I don't know how deep a C you mean). Besides, this is sort a tip of my hat to Matt Jefferies, who used this sort of angle alot in his designs. In fact they way this shape is slightly rounded where the upright meets the ceiling beam is taken directly from the Botany Bay in "Space Seed" which further attaches this design to the overall continuity, but in a subtle way most people probably won't pick up on.

I didn't want to put any sunken areas because if Kriq' wants to actually build this, that means building a whole floor on top his perfectly acceptable stage floor. I'm trying to balance what would look cool with production realities.

As far as the width of the bridge, by the original scale I designed the ship at, based on Kriq's specifications, the part on the ship model were assuming is the bridge is really something like 30' wide, making these sets take up about half that space, centered. I was originally thinking about putting side rooms on this set (a ready room and a briefing room) but figured that's more than there might be room for on his stage floor. So yeah don't worry, there's plenty of room for an elevator and a hallway. (I haven't seen "Down Periscope" in forever though so I forget if there was anything special about the sonar station.)

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

You're right about the C's, heh. I had two versions in my head, one subtle... one not. I drew the not so subtle and immediatly pretended they were much less obvious when my health and safety mind switched itself on. Looks good... but in action someone would trip, or centered in reality a camera op may not see where he's going.

I thought something else about sunken areas when I posted - less real work practical and more Trek world based... that it would cut into the deck below. It stemmed from a slight ship design obsession of mine which had the cut out cutting into a void of tech stuff.

With Down Periscope the sonar console is similar Voyager Ops/Tactical in it's positioning which is why I ditched it almost as soon as I thought it of. I prefer the console you have against the wall - and the door next to it looking very submarine-like.

3. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

sorry i haven't posted, but my internet was down during the move, and when my computers started going down, i was pretty much left with pencil and paper. Eventually, one of my computers was revived, and i was able to work on various stuff.

a small update. here are samples of the LCARS designed for the two ships, as done by the remarkable Joe Relat. Since the idea is that the two ships were the by-product of competing designs for the same contract, i figured i would introduce the two design style elements, and a hint at the lineage of the two totally oppisite design styles, and how they came to be.

here is the sample for the S.S. New York

[​IMG]

and the sample for the S.S.Einstein...

[​IMG]

what do you think?....

here is a link to the thread on the project's bbs...

http://starfleetmngmt.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=technology&action=display&thread=27&page=1#65

k'riq the gastronomical

4. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

SWEET!!! That's a beautiful pencil sketch!! NX-01 meets Defiant

5. Albertese

Nice to hear from you K'riq!

I'm curious to see what you think of our bridge designs. Will something like that work for your purposes?

Also, I'm digging the New York's diagram there, but I'm confused about the other one. It just looks like a 24th Century LCARS display with no ship at all. I'm still not sure what you planned for the other ship. Anyway, the 24th Century look really wouldn't make a lick of sense in the very early 22nd Century. I suggest you try for something different or else go with a similar look for both ships. Since what you have for the New York is essentially what was on Enterprise which is set only about 45 years or so after your show, I suppose it could be reasonable to expect a similar look on these ships.

--Alex

6. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

hey Alex,

i'm loving it....

the second set is just a go-by sample, and not the final look (it's from tng).

k'riq the validictorian

7. Cmdr Sho

Cmdr Sho Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

hmmmm..... here is an idea...

combine elements from all the startrek bridges

e.g.- ncc-1701-e helm, sisko chair, ncc-1701-d tactical, voy ops and (in voy ops style) engineering....

something like that....

8. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Dude. four year old thread.

10. Albertese

Well, since you brought it up... whatever became of this project? I actually stumbled upon some of the sketches I did for it a few months ago while cleaning and I wondered if the fan film ever went anywhere...

--Alex