Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always noticed the horizontal seams, but not those set of two along the side until now.

2. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't have S3 so far, but got the BOBW-Movie-BD today.
    To my taste, the music on the 7.1 english track is MUCH too loud compared to the voices.
    If I reduce the volume to a normal level while the opening theme is on, I almost can't hear the voices later on.
    I just watch on the TV, I don't have surround audio equipment here at the moment.
    S1 and 2 sound appears normal on TV with the same settings.

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Don't apologize. The story you said makes sense in that many times actors are dubbed last minute for sound issues.

Good example the outdoor scenes in Return of the Archons has all of Harry Townes lines dubbed by (kebbler elf voice) Walker Edmiston.

But waaaay back in the day it was known that actor Grainger Hines did something to annoy the TNG procduction folks.

Some say he took on some strange John Wayne impersonation during shooting and refused to loop it. Other story was he just gave such a poor performance vocally (bored sounding) that they just brought in a good voice actor to dub his lines.

When he found his voice had been removed he asked his name be taken from the credits---which they were happy to do since he had made their life difficult.

Pretty rare event in Trek. They looped all of Alexander Siddig's lines in that episode where he was possessed by an alien because he had taken a Bela Lugosi voice during the shoot.

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I watched some of the special features, interesting that they did a costume test with Data in red for season 3, I would have liked some information on that not just the footage with the writers talking about something completely different.

I also watched the David Rappaport footage for "The most toys", it wasn't very good, it's not just the performance that seemed off, the make-up was horrible, I'm glad they changed the look of the character when they recast.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The dubbing never bothered me much before, but in HD it's much more obvious.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm surprised at those who didn't notice the early 3rd season episodes before. I remember how odd they looked when the episodes first aired, watching on my 22" CRT. The seams have always been noticeable, and the way they're stuffed to make the males looks beefy is very odd. The later, final, and slimmer uniforms look much better.

7. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The new audio-commentary on the Blu-Rays explains why this didn't happen btw.

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched "The Enemy", Picard, Riker and Geordi are now wearing the updated uniforms, Worf, Data and O'Brien are still wearing the interim ones. Was a little surprised Geordi was wearing the new one, considering how filthy it gets. Maybe easier to wash material? Also, Beverly is now sporting the one-piece female uniform with the seam down the middle, plus her hair is much longer! Looking back at the screencaps of the previous episodes, I noticed the only time you see her not wearing the labcoat is when she's sitting or her waist is out of frame. Apparently they didn't like the look of the bloused bottom of the new uniform tops on women...?

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Enemy is really improved with the transfer to HD. We can actually see what's going on planet side now.

10. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wasn't Gates pregnant at the time?

11. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

If I recall correctly, she discovered she was pregnant while shooting "Remember Me" in early Season Four. By "The Host," they were carefully shooting her to disguise her baby bump. :)

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Gates was pregnant during season four. She found out after filming for "Remember Me" was complete.

13. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

So I went into my local music shop today. They sell used cds and dvds, also blu rays. I was just browsing, I really had no intention buy anything.

I saw that they had the full season 3 Blu-ray set "used" for $24.99!!!!

This just can out right???? I am kind of broke right now, only thing I bought so far was the original sampler. So I was baffled. Why would anyone sell these so quickly??? The discs look to be in perfect condition, I checked before I bought them. Now I am going to have to watch them and see if there was problem. Even that would be strange, if their is a defect the person could have returned it to were they bought it.

SO far the first disc is fine. Maybe I just got lucky!

14. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Got a time index? I'd like to keep an eye out for it when I watch the episodes.

15. Takeru

I think you got lucky, as you said f there was something wrong with the discs the customer could have gotten a replacement instead of selling them at a loss. Whoever bought them probably ripped the discs and decided to get some money back by selling the set. That's the only way I can see a used set showing up right after release.

Whatever the reason was, you're a lucky guy.:)

16. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

While I tend agree about the 2-footer being pretty sad and detracts from most of the shots it's in, ship shots are not exactly comparable to matte paintings.

The matte paintings are basically just static paintings, they usually aren't recomposited into a shot, they were already part of the set dressing or they are their own live shot without any actor in it (like an establishing shot of a cityscape). And they certainly aren't like the various passes of the models which have a lot of ability to be tweaked and re-lit when composited into a scene, all the while still technically using the original footage (as evidenced by the differences between HTV and CBS-D's handling of the model footage).

With a matte painting either there is plenty of detail that looks good in HD or their isn't. If you look at the special features of Season 2, they have shots of the original Borg cube matte painting. It is a beautiful painting, but it was clearly done with limits of standard definition TV in mind. The brush strokes become quite obvious in HD when the camera gets closer to the matte painting.

Another case where they may enhance or change things is if it's a re-used matte painting. In the case of re-uses, like TOS-R before it, they have decided to allow for some artistic license to tweak the matte paintings to keep it from being a complete repetition.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am thinking they ripped it too. There was also Roger Rabbit on Blu-ray and I also know that came out recently. I need to check this place more often!!!!

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What is the disc art like, what kind of pictures are on the reverse side of the case? Maybe we can confirm if it is legit or not.

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You have the sampler, right? The disc art is exactly the same. Solid blue with cut-outs for the text.

The back of the case should match the paper slip. It has a laughable "before/after" comparison, some pictures and specs.

20. Takeru

Blue? my discs are silver with black text, there seem to be different versions.