So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished TNG: Losing the Peace. Pretty good, some good ideas for re-envisioning TNG for a post-Destiny world. That said, it seems a bit directionless - which I thought at first was meant to be part of the narrative - but then rushes to make a point out of everything. It also feels like characters are only given 3/4 of a reason for their changes in opinion. We get their initial circumstances, then the beginnings of why they may change their mind and then boom mind changed. In almost every case it feels like there's a missing 5 pages explaining how they arrived at the new opinion/circumstance. I do dig Picard's office redesign.

I read through the Seventh Doctor 50th Anniversary eBook The Ripple Effect. Not badly written, but we're given a tone deaf Ace and a largely out of character Seventh Doctor (feeling more like Two or Eleven) in a plot that could be interesting but never really attains anything more than surface level examination. (I know they are aimed at kids, but the Doctor fights the Elder Gods and the Norse Gods in previous installments with a lot more nuance!) Of the seven eBooks so far I really on found 2, 3 and 6 interesting. The Fourth Doctor installment was fine if a little boring, and 1, 5 and 7 really felt off the mark in terms of characterization and story. I also listened to the Seventh Doctor's episode of Big Finish & AudioGo's Destiny of the Doctor before reading the Seventh story and they cover a similar emotional arc for Ace but the audio achieves it much better.

I'm also about 100 pages into A Singular Destiny, which is a pretty solid KRAD book. The style is a little unusual for this type work, but I like the big world feel of it. I can't say I'm jibing with Pran, but it is nice to share an alma mater with a fictional character!

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King, Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By by Dan Abnett, Retreat and Adapt by Thomas Deprima, and The Center Holders: Obama and His Enemies by Jonathon Alter.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I'm on the second book of Christie Golden's Dark Matters trilogy. It's a pretty interesting read. Better than most Voyager numbered novels.

4. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm about halfway done with Voyager: String Theory book one -- Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang.

Loving the story so far. Mr. Lang has a fine knack for characterization, engaging dynamics between the regulars and the "guest stars", and finding humorous beats in every Trek story I've read by him.

Really wish the TPTB would hire him for a new Star Trek novel someday soon. Maybe throw some assignments to Dave Galanter, too, while they're at it.

5. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished A Singular Destiny which was quite fantastic. Now onto Voyager: Full Circle. So far so good, though I'm not jazzed about starting with Miral and B'Elanna.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Oh you just hold on.

7. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I'm currently reading The Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey, so I will be all ready for his new book Dust. After that I will be reading Star Trek: The Shocks of Adversity by William Leisner.

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading The last days of Krypton by Kevin J.Anderson I'm reading an older TNG novel Tooth and Claw by Doranna Durgin. It's Nice to see Data and Barclay and Duffy trying to help Geordi help find Riker's missing shuttlecraft.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm hoping to pick up a copy of From History's Shadow at Shore Leave this weekend,and maybe a copy of Peter David's vampire novel, Pulling Up Stakes.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Indeed !

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have read both parts as eBooks and they're really entertaining. :)

12. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Redshirts by John Scalzi last night and it was great. Early on I figured out that
    they were characters on a tv show, but I was genuinely surprised by the twist at the end, that they were all ultimately characters in a novel.
    I didn't care all that much for the three codas, the first one was interesting, the second I didn't care too much for, but the third was the strongest. I would have liked to get a little more story with the main characters, but I did like the end to their story.

I'm now reading the Soleta story from New Frontier: No Limits, "Revelations" by KRAD.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up STTP: Raise the Dawn a few minutes ago.
    I didn't mention in this review, but I did also really like the way that they managed to work so many of the DS9 characters, who had been fairly spread out since the TV series and the previous batch of novels ended. I was a little nervous when I heard about where some of the characters were at the end of the story, but I thought that DRGIII managed to move the characters around in a way that made sense, and didn't seem forced.

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey guys! On my way out the door to VidCon, but I thought I'd post a link to my latest review: A Time to Die by John Vornholt, book two of the A Time To... pre-Nemesis series. Wasn't the biggest fan of this one; I felt it was a bit of a let down from the first part.

Currently reading From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward. Loving it so far!

15. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recently finished The Persona Project by Andy McDermott. It was good, but I'm waiting for the next in the Wilde/Chase series.

Currently I'm reading From History's Shadow by Dayton Ward. Great so far:)

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Brinkmanship

17. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Reading the first in the Cold Equations trilogy. A real page-turner.

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

William Shatner's Spectre. Of course CAPT Kirk would makeout with mirror Janeway.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Picked up IN HISTORY'S SHADOW at B&N the other day . . . . .

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I"m reading Star trek From History's shadow.