X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, they weren't all comic books fans. Either way, I thought it was awful, and I have no intention of spending money to see any additional X-Men movies in theaters.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah yeah yeah...

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

4. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid. I'm just saying that I tend not to trust comic book fans when it comes to liking something or not.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I get what you're saying, but to be fair, I decided I hated the movie well before I ever spoke to my friends about it.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved XM:FC, I even picked it as my favorite comic book movie on IGN's Summer Movie Awards, and it wasn't just me since it won the award. I think you're the only person I've heard from who didn't at least like it. Hell, my mother even liked it.

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah but if you believe that then you also might believe the adds that claim critics are calling Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon the best action film of all time. Plus there are many films that are critically acclaimed that the general public just doesn't go for.

8. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't doubt it.
    It just goes to prove that what is represented here, isn't always representative of the majority. There is a much larger audience that doesn't post in places like this who's voice isn't being represented.

How many claim to have hated Transformers or the SW prequels?
    Yet they made LOTS of money, which means many that claimed to have hated them saw them more than once. So several people watched and paid for film(s) they claimed to hate more than once. Many even pay to see films they heard are bad just so they can join the online crowd to bitch about it.

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that is a truly absurd leap of logic.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

AY isn't throwing around general consensus willy-nilly as if he's just reading the review snippets thrown on posters and DVD covers. 87% at Rotten Tomatoes suggests that it was one of the most critically acclaimed X-Men films. While you may not have liked it (which I am not sure if that is the case, to be honest), that's fine, but you can't deny it was a well-reviewed film.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The film was very well-reviewed. The Rotten Tomatoes score affirms that. Plus, the general consensus, both on these forums and elsewhere, suggests X-Men: First Class was a very well-received and generally liked film.

The film made $150 million domestic, and over $350 million worldwide, which is pretty good considering the film was one of four major comic-book movies that were released this year. Five if you're counting The Green Hornet. Those four were also released in the summer, and on top of that, you have the other tentpoles that were released concurrently with those comic-book movies, and basically you have an overstuffed summer movie season.

Not to mention that the last two X-Men films were generally poorly received from critics as well as most mainstream audiences. X-Men: First Class had a lot going against it. Plus, the film had a practically unknown cast of pedigree actors with no box office standing. With all of these factors added into the equation, you begin to understand why First Class didn't make as much as the other X-Men films. Also, it was the fifth film in the franchise, and sequels occasionally lend themselves to diminishing returns.

X-Men: First Class did very well in its first week of DVD/Blu-Ray release, earning somewhere around $30 million. I think that's enough evidence to suggest that mainstream audiences liked the film, and would be interested in a sequel. I, for one, loved the film and I can't wait for another installment. I think there's a lot of interesting mythology left to explore, and the universe that the first film hinted at is vast. I can't wait to see a sequel explore the rest of the 60's, spanning Kennedy's assassination, and possible mutant involvement in the Vietnam War. Plus, the mid-to-late 60's is when civil rights started becoming a big issue, and what better time to have an X-Men story but in the time of the civil rights movement?

The possibilities are endless, so I'm hopeful and excited at the prospects of another X-Men film set in the First Class universe/continuity/setting. So long as Bryan Singer is once more producing and Matthew Vaughn is once more directing (even though I wouldn't mind if Singer stepped in front of the camera again).

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@exodus I can understand if you personally didn't like the film. That doesn't mean that it was a bad film, it means you personally thought it was a bad film and didn't enjoy it. To further my point Fox's TV spots for the First Class DVD actually advertise Rotten Tomatoes Certified Fresh rating!!! You don't see that very often. That is just an indication of how pleased they are with the critical acclaim. Not to mention the majority of the people in this very thread seemed to enjoy the film. As Broccoli stated I wasn't just being a mark and spouting off some critics statement. There has been an overwhelming general consensus regarding First Class. I'm sorry that you and some others didn't enjoy it.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I'm not seeing the problem here ... its still 1962 at the end of the film, right?

Granted, I'm not up to speed on the old Marvel/X-Men storylines but...

Why can't the civil rights story not happen in the sequels? Couldn't they just pick up the next day in '62 and have the mutant civil rights issues/real world civil rights issues storyline continue?

Yes, Magneto, Mystique et al ran off at the end and will eventually become villains, but I didn't interpret the ending of First Class as them being outright evil. It was more an "us vs. them" mentality, the dividing line of which being the different philopsophies of Xavier and Magneto.

If I'm remembering the ending of the film correctly, and what little I know about X-Men continuity holds up, I don't see why the sequels can't touch upon the complementing civil rights allegories as exodus has suggested should have been included in the First Class.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yes, since when did the Civil Rights struggle end in 1962? I mean, I know this is an alternative history and all, but still...

15. JacksonArcher

Excellently said, doubleohfive.

I don't think the ending was necessarily definitive, at least in terms of making Magneto, Mystique, etc. outright villains. In the comics, Magneto has led the X-Men in the past, he's joined the team, etc. I think it would be really interesting at some point in the second or third film if Magneto joins the X-Men, helping Xavier build Cerebro (which was mentioned in the original trilogy), and something happens to Xavier which forces Magneto to lead the X-Men in the final battle. There would be a wonderful conflict of ideals, ideologies, etc. - Magneto would obviously wish a more disastrous outcome, but most of the X-Men would most likely attempt to preserve Xavier's more pacifist idealism.

We saw a little bit of that at the tail end of First Class- with Erik and Raven leaving the X-Men at the end, but I feel like there could be so much more to that. What happens when Magneto and Mystique have to face Xavier, Beast, etc. again? The great thing about Magneto's character is that, like most great villains, a lot of the times he has a point. It would be really creatively rich to explore that. There's potential to create some wonderful internal conflict among the X-Men that hints at the very core of the X-Men ideology.

As Matthew Vaughn said, at least with a second film, that there would be no need to jump forward to the 70's or 80's just yet. At least not until the third film. Like I mentioned before, there's the rest of the 60's to explore, which were a very pivotal time in not only America but across the globe. Kennedy's assassination, the Vietnam War, the civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. etc - all provide for dramatically engaging background fodder for these future installments. It's what I am most looking forward to in terms of anticipating First Class sequels.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's just not have an evil mutant killing Kennedy, please.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey Kennedy was killed BECAUSE he favored Mutant equality!
    ;)

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Then you likely are not going to like Matthew Vaughn's ideas about how 'Second Class' might start. Movieline, dateline: 5/24/11

19. JacksonArcher

"Magic bullet". Haha.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Calling Oliver Stone...