So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read the eighth and ninth books in S.M. Stirling's The General series (The Tyrant and The Heretic).

I also read the first two books in the Riss series by C.R. Daems (The Riss Gamble and The Riss Proposal).

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Last week I picked up Forgotten History from my local Library, now I've read the first DTI book, thought it was ok, nothing spectacular though, this on the other hand I'm finding dreadfully boring thus far. I'm hoping it picks up soon and a little more interesting because on paper, it is a very good idea, in execution though, it's really lacking.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I just finished Starfleet: Year One. I really liked the characters in this book. The six Captains were a little cliche (especially Connor Dane) but overall I enjoyed their interactions. It would have been cool if someone could have brought them into the Enterprise novelverse. I know Bryce Shumar is actually something of a canon character from a TNG reference in "Power Play."

Just starting Carey's novelization of The Way of the warior.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm halfway through reading Alligence in Exile by David R. George. The story line of this novel Kirk's crew finding out about attacked and destroyed colony worlds and Enterprise being attacked by mysterious ship's.Reminds me of several older Startrek books I've read recently.This Tos book is okay but I liked Devil's Bargain and Weight Worlds story lines better. At least I finally caught up reading the newer Tos and Typhon pact books.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Just started Camen Carter's Dreams of the Raven.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading The Weight of Worlds. I'm honestly not too big a fan of the bad guy's premise, and in general they aren't very interesting, but its not ruining the book. The Star Trek characters are written well, and stuff like that is making up for the villains not being very good.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Finished Titan: Taking Wing today. Really enjoyable. Very much scratches the TNG itch that some of the post movie books never seemed to recapture. I like the make up of the crew, quite interesting. Though I find it odd that on the crew that is 15% Human has a CO, XO and Diplomatic Officer who are all human. (Okay, so 2.5 human!) I never really grew attached to Vale so I don't really feel the need for her presence in the book. At least in the first novel, she didn't add too much, feeling like a way to diffuse dialogue that would normally have been between Riker and Troi into another person. I am super glad to have Tuvok around and I like his interactions with the main cast. I can't wait to see more and I've already started in on Titan: The Red King

There were some weird issues with the actual editing/organization of the book, though. Things like Tuvok's identity being hidden in the first chapter, then never actually being revealed. The next time he pops up, his identity is just out there. The chapter after it contains a scene that plays out like a reveal, which made me double check my page sequences.

As well, the larger cast of the book disappears after about page 160 and we're laser focused on the "main cast." As such, some of the events that happen to the "B-Characters" feel hollow because I've forgotten about them by the time they pop back up. I'm not sure what would have fixed this - outside of maybe one more "Below Decks" chapter in the last 150 pages. Still, the book was very enjoyable.

I am already two chapters into Red King. Not terribly excited for the Sundered sequel-ness, as I never cared for the Neyel.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I just finished Mass Effect: Deception. I know there's been a lot of complaints about all the errors in the novel (some big, but mostly small things), but having been a while since I read the last ME novel, I don't think I would have noticed most of them if I hadn't looked them up online. One problem I had was that the deaths of certain characters
    like Nick Donahue, Hendel Mitra, & Gillian Grayson
    didn't seem to be given much weight. It was like, "Oh, that person died, what a shame, let's move on." Overall, despite most people's feelings about it, I don't really think it's bad so much as just boring.

I've now started New Frontier: Being Human.

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Great North Road - Peter F. Hamilton. Not his best.

11. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden (2005) which is one of the novels used for Grade 12 here in Canada. Shall get back to "Bloodletter" (DS9) by K. W. Jeter very soon I hope. Currently also going through Season 6 of DS9. The "Far Beyond the Stars" about science fiction was especially good.

"Dracula" by Bram Stoker was the original on what "Zero Dark Thirty" was based. A bunch of white middle class males and a token female go to the edge of civilization to destroy a monster. Popular genre and thoroughly enjoyable.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  12. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Course of Attack by Gene DeWeese. I'm about half-way through so far, and enjoying it.

It tells the story of the Enterprise being transported to a distant galaxy and getting caught up in a local conflict.

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you mean Chain of Attack.

14. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

Yes sorry, I keep getting mixed up between Chain of Attack, Course of Attack, Chain of Command, Change of Attack, Change of Command.

15. Reanok

I just finished reading a Tos novel From The Depths By Victor Milan. It's an exciting story that took unexpected twists and turns with certain characters that were totally suprising to me..I read this book in a day .I really enjoyed reading this book. I started rereading Enterprise To Brave the Storm.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up the first volume of the new Wonder Woman comic book series. I posted my thoughts on Shelfari:
    Since I finished that I also went ahead and start the first novel in The Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones. I'm mainly reading it now to get ready for the movie, but I've been planning on reading it since before I knew about the movie.

17. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Currently Reading:
    VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer
    Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare
    Metamorphoses by Ovid
    Dark Mirror by Diane Duane
    The Destroyer: Number Two by Warren Murphy
    A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

Over the last week, I finished:
    TOS: The Weight of Worlds by Greg Cox
    TOS: Allegiance in Exile by David R. George III
    Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare
    The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
    Shadows on the Sun by Michael Jan Friedman
    War Drums (TNG #23) by John Vornholt
    Gateways Book 1: One Small Step (and also One Giant Leap from What Lay Beyond) by Susan Wright

I read Dark Mirror for the first time when it was published in 1993, before DS9 revisited the Mirror Universe. I think it's pretty safe to say that this book has been thoroughly contradicted by the DS9 Mirror Universe episodes but it's still an enjoyable re-read so far.

One Small Step and One Giant Leap are direct sequels to the TOS episode "That Which Survives". Before this, the only other thing I'd read from Susan Wright was the Dark Passions duology. I liked OSS/OGL quite a bit better, although there were some mistakes and the Klingons in the book were strictly cardboard villians who were not really important to the story and could have been dispensed with.

18. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I finished a couple of days ago:
    Variable Star by Spider Robinson (Score: * out of *****)

I am currently reading the third (?) book in the Alex Cross series:
    Jack and Jill (So far, so good).

19. Reanok

I finished reading Enterprise To Brave the storm and Tales of The Dominion war.I juststarted reading a TNG novel Grounded by Steven Bishoff.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read the third book in the Riss series (The Riss Survival), Star Trek: TNG: The Stuff of Dreams by James Swallow, A World Out of Time by Larry Niven, and Red Planet Blues by Robert J. Sawyer.