Katawa Shoujo anyone?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cutter John, Jan 22, 2013.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Well, to be truthful,right now it's more like a minute of running followed by five minutes of walking and panting, repeat. I'm in terrible shape. But hey, baby steps.

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I started playing it today, I've just finished Act One. It seems like most people who have been posting in this thread have already played it but I'm going to spoiler code it just in case anybody is reading it.

It's really good! I love the visual effects. I wasn't really sure which route I was going down, I wanted either Misha or Lilly. Hanako I'm VERY curious about. At the end of Act 1 I got a cut scene where Lilly was having a little daydream about me so I'm guessing I'm on her route.

The whole school does seem to have some underlying weirdness about it. I know the story seems to be about the romance with the girls but I'm really liking the interactions with Kenji, he cracks me up.

Misha and Shizune are a bit confusing at times because sometimes I lose track as to who is speaking. Emi seems like a good character as well, the only one I'm not really that intrigued by is Shizune.

3. OdoWanKenobi

I'll spoiler code mine as a courtesy, though there really aren't any spoilers.

Yup, you're in Lily's route. Whoever's cutscene appears at the end of act 1 is the girl's story that you'll be seeing.

Also, Misha is a major character, but doesn't really have a route of her own. Her story is told through Shizune's route. The fact that it's sometimes hard to understand whether it's Misha or Shizune talking is intentional, and gets mentioned by Hisao at certain points.

Oh, and this may go without saying, but save at decision points, lest ye find yourself on an unavoidable route toward a bad ending.

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

How do I say this I don't know what but I agree I think and it's creepy maybe it's not bad is it illuminati or the thing Kenji keeps talking about?

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, baby steps. Take it at your own pace. Have you considered getting a bike? Thats the route I took. Its easier on theb body, and you can use it to run errands on.

Yay! I'm really glad you decided to try it out. I've still got three girls to play myself though. Emi's arc is adorable, but I swear, Hanako's story can break any man (sorry, couldn't get the spoiler tags to work)

Be sure to save whenever you're asked to make a decision though. That way you can backtrack if you make a wrong turn. Like getting the dreaded *shudder* Kenji ending.
    *Edit: Oops, just realized that OdoWan beat me to it. :)

Oh yeah, that remind sme. I found another video. :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swUzIxqGMv0[/yt]

Yep. this has "Feminist Conspiracy" written all over it. :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda curious to find out what the bad endings are :lol:

7. Cutter John

Its surprising how much fan art is out there. But I think this is my favorite, just for the happy feeling I get.

[​IMG]

And wish me luck. I've decided to tackle Rin's story starting Weds night.

8. OdoWanKenobi

Oh man, browsing /r/katawashoujo has shown me sooooo much fanart. The community for this game is pretty incredible.

Honestly, anything Hanako gets me right in the feels.

Rin's story is, I think, easily the most complex. I'll be curious to know your thoughts.

9. Cutter John

Have you checked out the official forum yet?

10. Cutter John

Okay here we go. I just started Rin's arc.

11. Cutter John

Just checking in to say, "Happy Birthday Lilly!"

Shh, just don't tell her the cake really says "Congratulations on coming out!".

It was half off.

[​IMG]

12. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

This game grabbed me by the heart strings and tugged, hard. I played it for the first time after a breakup that I was having a hard time getting over, and stumbled on to Emi's path. It taught me alot, about the overly-attached "white knight" kind of boyfriend I was, and not letting adversity keep you down for long.

On another note, I hear "Air Guitar" in my head whenever I go for a walk. Especially in the early morning when I arrive at school, and the sun is just barely over the hills behind my school. The music combined with that kind of imagery is reassuring in a way that I don't think I've ever felt before. "Wiosna" is still my favorite, though :P

13. Cutter John

I'm glad someone else has discovered it. Emi was my first girl too, and while shes sweet and wonderful and inspirational, it was Hanako who stole my heart and taught me the same 'white knight' lesson. I'm a lot like her really, shy, and wishing I could connect with outhers, but never really being able to.

As for music, its "Innocence" , and "Comfort" that get to me. I have to hold back hard to keep from bursting into tears.

So at this point Shizune is the only girl I haven't played. I guess I'm reluctant to have the game end.

14. Cutter John

Man some of the fanart for this game is a-mazing!

Just sayin'.

[​IMG]

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know why, but I never thought I'd see a Katawa Shoujo thread here. Dem feels and so forth.

16. OdoWanKenobi

It surprised me too. I honestly didn't thing it was very well known outside of the worlds of 4Chan and Reddit. Granted, with how few participants there are in this thread, that may just be the case.

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hah, well, there are a few closeted "Japonphiles" here I suppose. :lol:

18. Cutter John

Its pretty surprising how many hits you get on Google, or even Youtube. We're out here alright. I've been pretty much living on the KS forum for the past month.

Just had to start this thread right after I began playing in hopes of spreading the word and maybe getting a few BBS'ers to try it. Kinda hoped we'd have a bit more activity, but ah well.

Dedicated Hanako fan.

[​IMG]

So, thoughts on the girls?

Shizuni - I've gotta confess I still haven't played her arc. Maybe I'm just afraid to actually finish the game.

Emi - Sure shes annoying sometimes, but she just oozes cute and adorable to the point where its impossible not to love her. Downright amazing how someone so sweet can be among the most sexually active characters in the game.

Rin - I feel bad for her, but I honestly have trouble connecting with her. I guess because I need some sort of emotional feedback in order to be drawn to a character, and with Rin, I get nuthin'.

Hanako - Is it wierd to be in love with a fictional character?

Lilly - An absolute Goddess in human form. How can you not love Lilly?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  19. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

This happened to me when it came out a year ago.

I got shin splints that still affect me to this day.