Things old ladies do...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

You did really well on that. :) And old? Really?

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

this looks very good, Bonzie! I always have problems with the seam. I seem to never get it straight *sigh*.
    Btw, bought some incredibly cheap undyed cotton at Ikea last week and shall sew new curtains for the living room tomorrow =) (yet another candidate for wave-like seams LOL)

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice, T'Bonz! Good color for you, too.

4. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Yeah, that's the fun of sewing.

I'll be doing some pajamas soon. Found some Star Trek flannel material. :lol:

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

This would apply to me as well. "Mmm, look at all that candy in the dish. One piece won't be missed..."

6. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. One ought to put out carrots for guests. They'd keep longer.

Bonzie, could you post a pic of the Trek flannel or describe the pattern? Flannel pyjamas are just the thing! So warm and comfortable. I've been planning for quite a while to sew some myself, using an old one as a pattern. Only my haberdashery has no flannel :( It seems to be a bit out of fashion. Maybe I can get some on the internet

7. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

My mom just sent me a picture of the first granny square for the all grey afghan she's making me! It will match my grey walls, grey sheets, grey bedspread, and grey curtains perfectly. :)

[​IMG]

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I must need my eyes examined or I have a serious monitor malfunction... to me it looks three shades of blue/violet

9. thestrangequark

It's grey, but the problem is not with your eyes or monitor. It probably has to do with contrast. I've seen the yarn in person, but it looks bluish to me here too!

10. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    I've experienced it before though; thinking something is blue and people telling me it's grey -or vice versa.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Um... does making rosettes and krumkake seem like an old lady thing?

12. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For what is worth, I also worry about what the OP said. I have a lot of things from my grandmothers that I like so much and I would love to make such things for my children and grandchildren someday. However, even someone like my who is willing to learn, has neither the time to do so, nor the right materials for many of these stuff.

13. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

That's going to be gorgeous. I love granny squares. They may scream 60s and 70s, but they're simple, and you can have so much fun with colour. If they're made in non-body-fluid colours (who doesn't remember a granny square afghan coloured mainly in bile and vomit?) with good-quality yarn they won't bring on any nasty flashbacks. ;) They're also a great way to use up any leftover yarn from other projects. It's amazing how those little half-skeins of random colours add up.

14. thestrangequark

^I love them too. And I just really liked the idea of one done entirely in shades of grey. My mom is good at avoiding the tacky 70s ones (along with the vomit and urine color-scheme you mentioned, there's also the classic technicolor dreamcoat with black borders scheme).

This thread is really making me want to start crocheting again!

15. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Oh, lordy, I forgot about the ones with the black borders. :lol: They are, indeed, the worst of the migraine-inducing lot.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My grandmas has always had surprisingly good taste in her color-schemes, so all of our afghans actually still look pretty awesome.

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ My mother's were in nice color combinations, too. But, speaking of her...

I knit (not crocheted) an afghan for myself when I was in my 20's, and my mother really liked it, so I offered to make a pair of afghans for my parents for their 30th anniversary. My mother and I picked out the yarn together, and when I asked about patterns, she said I had such good taste, she knew they would love whatever I chose.

Fast forward a few months, and I've put in several hours of work on the first afghan. My mother sees it for the first time and announces that she doesn't like the pattern and I shouldn't waste my time...

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

19. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Aww...I think the black border ones are the most beautiful. :( Though, I only like specific colors with the black. Right now I am doing granny squares with purple and blue centers and a black border. I'll post a picture when I get home.

20. thestrangequark

^It's not the black boarders themselves that are bad...it's just the overwhelming prevalence of this everywhere, everywhere, everywhere:

[​IMG]

They're not bad, but