What if Kes had stayed instead and...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Tachyon, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

... Harry had been killed in the end of season three?

How would have Kes' character developed during the later seasons? Her being nurse in the sickbay did not gave a lot of juicy Kes-centered storylines to be told.

If Kes had stayed, would it been her instead of the Doctor to give Seven social lessons? Would she have given them to both Seven and The Doctor? Would there had been other things for her to do onboard Voyager instead of being nurse? Would there have been good stories to be told about her and Tuvok, for instance?

So how would you have developed Kes if she had stayed? How would you have made her more interesting?

And who would have become the operations officer on bridge? Ayala?

And thanks to Lynx for inspiring me to make this thread! :techman:

2. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I'd have had her get assimilated by the Borg, then later rescued and deassimilated...only the Borg would have left her with an icy, dominatrix-like personality, and certain "Borg implants" in the chest area if you catch my drift. She'd have ditched the name "Kes" and been known only by a Borg designation. The Doc would have pined for her, Kim would have had the hots but given up rather quickly, but in the end she'd have randomly been in a thing with Chakotay out of left field.

Man, it would have been awesome.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The obvious choice would be Seven.

4. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

:lol: Yet another lost opportunity!

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

If used right I think the show would have been better for it. But then there's the obvious point she probably wouldn't have been used right.

I think it's pretty clear they were setting up for a "Power Corrupts!" arc for her. Assuming it wasn't done as whimsically and fly-by-nightish as "Fury" it probably could have worked.

Maybe if they worked it such that Seven was immune to her powers, they could have set up a Tudor-esque conflict between Janeway's "daughters;" it might have had interesting potential.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to disagree here. I never saw any "power corrupt" scenario. On the contrary, Kes did show that she was strong-willed enough to withstand severe temptation in the long run.

Anyway, I think the show lost a lot with Kes, a good character who could have become conselour or at least a more important character in the long run.

Harry was the weakest character but I wish that he could have stayed as well. No one should have been kicked out, even if they had to add Seven.

As for the "Janeway's daughters" conflict, Kes was too smart to be dragged into a conflict. She would have used her skills fo find a peaceful solution, she was good at that.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if they had kissed off Harry when they wanted to, Kes was still on the chopping block, because she was impossible write for and there was no obvious direction to take her unexceptional character, if we believe the party line hum accompanying her sanction all those years before. So if they were telling t he truth, then obviously they still would have cucked her at the first next opportunity,

8. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I would have still found a way to write her off the show. Perhaps her powers would have grown at a slightly less explosive rate and then by the end of say season four have her leave the ship for some greater purpose. She could then return seasons later to help the crew get back to the Alpha Quadrant as a parting gift.

9. Josh_Lyman

Josh_Lyman Commander Red Shirt

If kes had stayed, Voyager probably would have been canceled after the 4th season. She would have brought the show down with her.

10. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

So true. They definitely should have gone this route. :lol:
    Just think what the Borg Queen could have done with Kes's mental abilities. Hell, Kes could have become the Borg Queen. That would have been a twist.

11. Josh_Lyman

Josh_Lyman Commander Red Shirt

That is a very interesting idea but Jennifer Lien would have screwed it up because of her poor acting abilities.

12. Lynx

That statement is downright ridiculous. I also find it provocative.

As a matter of fact, the only time you show up here is to write some nasty and provoking one-line comment about Kes and/or Jennifer Lien.

This is called trolling. Now that might be allowed on the startrek.com forum but I don't think it is allowed here.

Jennifer Lien's acting abilities gave her an important role in the highly rewarded movie "American History X". That's more thhan many other Star trek actors have achieved.

13. Lynx

I have to disagree here. That would have been character destruction. It was bad enough with that silly Borg Queen in TNG, wimpering around Picard like some lovesick schoolgirl. The Borg Queen was one of the nails in the Borg coffin.

As for Kes, I think she is a fascinating and interesting character as she is. No need to change that.

In fact, Seven would have been better as a Borg queen (but not wimpy as the original one). They should have gone for that solution for about two seasons, with Seven as Voyager's nemesis. Then she could have ben captured and became the Seven we did see in the later seasons, the one who tried to become human ahgain.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I could totally see Kes pulling a "Dark Phoenix" with her powers. It would have been like "Fury," but not quite so random and shocking.

But I think that would mean that Neelix is Cyclops...and Tom is Wolverine? Tuvok, of course, would have to be her Professor X.

15. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you a MOD now?

16. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

I dont think it would have made any difference if she had stayed or Harry stayed both characters brought little to the show. What might have worked is if they had spent more time dealing with her psycho-kinetic abilities. I think her transforming into a non-corperal being was very anti-climatic.

17. exodus

We saw Kes' future in "Before & After", it wasn't very interesting.

She never used or explored her abilities, she didn't do much of any extraordinary in life and didn't achieve anything she couldn't have on Ocampa. I think the writers basical told us, they didn't have much of a plan for Kes going forward.

18. jongredic

jongredic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really?! Dead Janeway, dead Torres, a Doctor with hair, Neelix actually doing something outside of the Mess Hall and an unnerving amount of borderline inappropriate intermarrying with children and bridge officers?

There's practical half a season's worth of The O.C. material there :p

Unless you just mean Kes herself... in which case, it did look pretty humdrum.

19. exodus

:lol:

For everyone else, yes. not for her.

She'd be like the old girl from the original 90210. Everyone else is living up life except for you because you're kinda dull.

20. Lynx

No. I'm only pointing out the obvious.

Well, they didn't have much of a plan for the other characters either, as we could see in the later seasons of the show.

As for Kes, she was never dull. I could easily point out 8-10 dull, or at least rather bland Star Trek characters and Kes is not among them.

Kes was smart and brave. In a way a complement to more standard female action characters like Janeway, Torres and Seven.