All Trek Blu-Rays

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by joelore, Sep 5, 2013.

1. joelore

joelore Cadet Newbie

Hi,

I currently have all available Star Trek on Blu-Ray, The Movies, TOS, TAS, TNG Seasons 1-4 (5 in November) and Seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise.

Does anyone know what the release schedule will be for the future? For example when the next 3 seasons of TNG will be out or whether or not they are going to release DS9 or Voyager on Blu-Ray?

Thanks for any info,

Joe

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sofar, the biggest thing holding BR editions of DS9 and VOY back, is that later on during both shows, a lot of the effects work was done with CGI instead of models, so it's very difficult to redo all of that in HD. However, there's been talk that a lof of the CGI scenes for DS9 are still around, and could easily be re-rendered in HD. Not sure about VOY.
    Other then that, it's ofcourse a matter of sales. Appereantly, ENT is not doing so well on BR as TNG was/is. And costs of transferring an entire series to HD is pretty expensive. If the costs cannot be justified by low sale-expectations, we might not see DS9 and VOY on BR at all. :(

3. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would say, if you want to see DS9 and VOY on Blu-ray, buy TNG on Blu-ray. And from what I've read, CBS is very pleased with the sales of TNG.

Season five is being released on November 19 and I expect seasons 6 and 7 before the midpoint of 2014. If they are going to push forward with DS9, I'd expect to hear something after the first of the year.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well with Enterprise it was already in HD and those with Netflix and Hulu could always see it in HD. With TOS and TNG, going to HD was something new to the fans and thus would naturally generate more sales. I think that DS9 and Voyager in Blu Ray would generate less sales then TNG but be much higher then Enterprise.

5. Tracer Bullet

That's a great point, and I agree.

Not to mention that ENT requires far less work to release on Blu-ray.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

TAS?!! Do you mean "More Tribbles, More Troubles" on the Season 2 TOS Blu-ray? Otherwise, I'm missing out on an HD set I want very much! :techman:

7. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

If a TAS HD set exists, I would probably poop myself!!!! :lol:

8. Tracer Bullet

TAS is HD on Netflix. Not as great as Blu-ray would look but it's noticeably better than the DVDs.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Tracer Bullet, other than Tribbles, are they just upscales of the standard episodes?

10. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Most of the CGI in DS9 was used in the last couple of seasons so the earlier ones shouldn't be any harder than TNG to restore. I think we'll see DS9 on blu-ray but the sales figures will determine if they recreate/re-render the CGI or just upscale it.

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I did not know this. I have the TAS DVD set, but do not have Netflix sadly.

12. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

TAS is the one case where I can honestly say you're not missing much. TAS was made cheaply and made with the resolution of '70s TVs in mind. Even on the DVDs you can see dirt and hair caught in between the layers of the animation cells. In HD it's just more obvious.

Anything live-action Trek is totally worth watching/owning the HD version, though.

13. Tracer Bullet

I don't know, but I don't believe so. They look like HD masters to me.

14. Tracer Bullet

It doesn't look as muddy as the DVDs but it's certainly not an eye-opening difference like TOS or TNG. There's just not that much extra detail there. But it does look noticeably better to me than the TAS DVDs.

I'd pick up a TAS Blu-ray. Not sure why they're not doing one.

15. Tracer Bullet

The wormhole was always CGI, correct? Does anyone know how they composited that with the models? That could be challenging.

16. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does anybody know if there ever was BD Live content released for the blurays that have been released so far?

17. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

I recently subscribed to Hulu plus, and I'm kind of pissed.

They have every season of every Trek show, which is all great, except TAS, which in my opinion is the BEST!!! jk lol ;)

No, but really, they really should upload TAS into there service....

18. SpHeRe31459

It's been a while since I've watched TAS, I'll have to go back and compare.

And yes I'd get a TAS BD set if they made one, for completest sake. Might as well have everything in as high resolution as possible :) I have fond memories of renting TAS video tapes in the '80s.

19. SpHeRe31459

Yes for some reason the only streaming service to have TAS is Netflix. Amazon Prime and Hulu do not.

20. SpHeRe31459

Remember, just like TOS, TAS was done natively on 35mm film. So it's incredibly easy for CBS to have sent out the film to a post-house to have it digitally scanned in at 1080p.

I have no doubt CBS has a proper HD version around, hence the Netflix HD streams and the inclusion of MTMT on the TOS S2 BD.