One last surprise?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by MikeS, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is just one regeneration left that we haven't seen. Hurt - Ecclestone. I wouldn't be surprised if Ecclestone appears in this 50th anniversary special as one last surprise for the fans.

BTW. Now that we know, what is everyone's opinion of where the Hurt Doctor fits into the Doctors timeline? I was of the opinion that he'd be a pre-Hartnell Doctor, one before he "made the promise". Now that he's been shown as fitting between McGann and Ecclestone it means he made a promise, broke it, changed his mind and made it again.

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

What's "opinion" got to do with anything? Hurt is the true ninth incarnation of the Time Lord we know as the Doctor. He's just not the Ninth Doctor.

I'd like to see the regeneration from Hurt to Eccleston myself, but I wouldn't count on it. Eccleston doesn't look back. Maybe if they do something like the McGann to Hurt regeneration, though, where someone else was playing the young Hurt, and they used archive photos to make Eccleston "appear". Of course, that may involve the rights to his appearance, and I don't know anything about that....

No matter what, we'll never really see all the regenerations. I don't expect to ever see Troughton to Pertwee.

3. MikeS

Erm, probably everything ever written on TrekBBS?

4. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Eccleston won't be appearing. BBC issued a press release saying he wasn't appearing, didn't they? You don't do that and then have the guy show up.

He ain't showing up.

5. Pavonis

What I mean is, what's "opinion" got to do with where Hurt's Doctor fits into the Doctor's timeline? It's very clear that he's the direct successor to the Eighth Doctor. As for taking up the title of the Doctor again, well, with the war over, what was he going to do - stay a Warrior? No. He regenerated, and tried to be the Doctor again. It explains a lot about the Ninth Doctor's actions and attitudes.

6. MikeS

I'm sorry, perhaps I have been a little unclear by my misuse of language. I should have asked "what are peoples ideas and views about McGann's regeneration into the Hurt Doctor? Personally I think it was a great surpirse, a brilliant piece of writing and was uber-excited to see McGann again. I am also thinking that maybe the elixir has reset the Doctors regenerations to zero. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts too."

7. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Who is Ecclestone? For crying out loud, at least get the name right.

Now aside from that, you really thought it would be a pre-Hartnell doctor? Really? Just the clothes alone pointed to a "doctor" between 8 and 9. It was obvious from the moment Hurt appeared on screen. You even touch on it in your original post "He's the one who broke the promise" Not, He's the one before he made the promise.

Now, there may be a filmed regeneration, a CGI regeneration, an implied regeneration, a "reflection" regeneration like in the Night of the Doctor. Or no regeneration at all. Given what the Moff has pulled off so far, I'm not discounting anything.

8. MikeS

Friendly forum this.

Jesus wept, get out the shot gun. I mistakenly added an extra "E" at the end of an actors name that hasn't appeared on the show since 2005 (yes, I'm probably wrong with that date too but I just can't be arsed to look it up).

Mods. Lock/Delete/do whatever to this thread. I'll stay clear from now on.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Moffat said he wants to "have the box set, all the regenerations", and there is another Minisode called Last Day which will be on the DVD...

Dramatically and structurally they have to show Hurt's fate unless they're going to have him return in the future - and showing his fate means they either have to have Eccles back to show that regeneration, or fake it with stock footage as they faked Hurt in The Night Of The Doctor. So they have to do that either in the special or the minisode.

Unless of course Moffat just wants something to leave to wind up the fans. Which he might.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

If they are allowed to use old footage of Eccles, it'd be a snap to do a regen. Just have Hurt regen in the control room, and use an outtake of when Eccles became Tennant as the 'end' point. (There would have to be more than one take done of that moment.) Done. :)

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Eccleston appearing after Hurt's regeneration? Sure,
    how did young John Hurt appear in The Night of the Doctor? I am sure he was not available to play the role

12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they can use stock footage. But will there be a regeneration or is this War Doctor a character we'll see more of in future. That's the question.

13. Pavonis

Even if there's a regeneration from Hurt to Eccleston, there's the possibility of revisiting the War Doctor. It's not as though his life were brief! He may have had the longest life of any of the incarnations.

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

True dat, but if we see him again I imagine it's the one that is close to the time we see in 'The Day of the Doctor' since it will be our first introduction to him and in a way the 10th and 11th Doctors. If they decide to use the Hurt Doctor again then not having a regeneration/defeat at the hands of 10 and 11 might play better if he encounters 11 or 12 in future.

15. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yeah, really! Given that Eleven went two hundred years without visibly increasing in age, the War Doctor looks like he's been around for about 8,000 years! :D

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Have him regenerate into Peter Cushing. Then Cushing becomes Eccelston while in pursuit of the Zygons the last of whom disguises itself as Rose.

17. Sparky

A hard life ages people. The War Doctor has undoubted been around for a while, but probably not as long as you would think given his appearance.

18. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Night of the Doctor style regeneration for Hurt in the 50th or in the other mini episode. I doubt Eccleston will actually return even for a brief regeneration scene.

19. Sparky

Ah, the over reaction of the willfully ignorant.

First things first. There is no Jesus, just a myth. Second, I don't own a shotgun, even if i did I wouldn't think of using it on you.(or anyone for that matter)

The actor hasn't appeared since 2005? So what? He is a well known critically acclaimed actor, a 5 second search on google or imdb will reveal his name. Now I admit, in both of my posts it is late, I can't sleep and i'm grumpy. Ecclestone is like there their and they're, it drives me nuts that such a basic thing is so misused.

Your attitude of "I just can't be arsed to look it up" Is the problem. I don't expect you to remember the name of extra number 3 from episode 14 season 2. But the name of the main actor who played the Doctor? Yeah, I expect that to be correct if i'm to take you seriously. When you show that you can't even be attentive enough to know the name of the actor, how is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

It's a simple thing, get the name right, and don't be proud that you are too lazy to do so.

20. Sparky

I'm hoping for another Moffat misdirection. A few seconds of footage from Eccleston is all that is needed.