Falling Skies - season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, May 23, 2013.

1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

A good summation, almost exactly the same way it struck me.

Although I've barely posted here, my wife and I have watched the entire season and have greatly enjoyed it. Yeah, the show has its faults, but it IS entertaining and has basically become my favorite show. I'm looking forward to next season, even though it's a long way off.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, one shot, two little flyers and boom war is over, talk about anti-climatic.

Brazil?! The war never reached there? No aliens there?

Pope having a fit is silly, if the field was still up they would be dead in a few months. Live to fight another day.

I'm surprised no one took the American flag.

What happens when the Volm meet other humans that they wanted to move?

I hope Karen stays dead.

The only thing worse than an alien baby storyline is an alien baby that super ages and has super powers.

3. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:wtf: :eek:
    Nope

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Your quote reminds me of Stargate's Vala Mal Doran giving birth to that baby that ages fast and ends up as the Adria the Orici played by Morena Baccarin.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

So why did no one ask the Volm to help Lourdes? :scream: If Cochise could help Hal, surely the resources on the mothership could help Lourdes. I know they needed the big dramatic scene at the end where the baby hand-waved the bugs away, but I'm one of those who hates the star-child idea, so it wasn't worth it. They should have at least come up with some excuse why they couldn't ask.

Other than that, it was a great episode. I love that they got the field down right away and then spent the rest of the episode dealing with the Volm. I had a bad feeling about them when they just zoomed down and squashed Boston, but they turned out to be more reasonable than expected. The idea of the forced relocation was a good twist, but even better was that they could be reasoned with. Next season will be interesting: Back on the road again, stuck in the middle of somebody else's war.

6. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was kind of surprised, though, how quickly they came around. I know a lot of it is due to Cochise, and the relationship he built.

But I wonder what kind of conflicts will happen next season. The Volm aren't evilly deceptive, but they have some secrets, and don't like telling the whole truth it seems. And it seems weird that with all the liberating, they haven't gone back to their homeworld. Why is that?

Hmmm....Falling Skies movie that brings the fight to outer space?

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I appreciate the show's production values and acting, but any time I start to fast forward in 30-second increments through a show I'm trying to enjoy, it's time to bid adieu. Same happened with Under the Dome yesterday, although my trigger finger was even itchier on that show... but that's just me.

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Cochise explained that a while ago. They're basically on a holy crusade to eradicate the Espheni. They won't stop until that happens.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Hmm. Last night's Dome was my favorite ep so far. :shrug:

10. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if the planet's destroyed. Or maybe it's been so long that they "lost" it. Or want to keep it hidden.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

My PVR cut the show off at Tom's reaction to Alexis purging and destroying the worms. I'm pretty sure I got the whole story but just n case I didn't can anyone tell me if there was more after Tom's stunned expression?

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

YMMV :)

Just like Revolution, I just can't get invested enough in the characters to give a damn, and the mystery/alien/sci-fi aspects are woefully underexplored so I lose interest...

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, just stunned. :lol:

You didn't miss anything, they just ended the episode with Tom and his army buddy looking stunned.

I'm now really glad we are getting a new show runner. :lol:

And the whole casts feels like there are two more years left in the story to tell. We shall see.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Thanks. I was pretty sure that was it but I wanted to be sure.

Overall I'd have to say I really liked this season and I look forward to seeing where they go from here.

I'm sure others have already commented on this, but I have to say the Volm are one of the cooler looking alien races I've seen in quite some time. They are very well done.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The Volm homeworld is presumably still under Espheni occupation, because Cochise stated the primary reason that he fights is because he wants his children to be able to see a flower that grows on the Volm homeworld, and that he has only been able to see in data files because he's never been there. He grew up on the generational ships many of his people evacuated the planet on after the Espheni conquered them centuries ago.

I assume given the small numbers the Volm initially land in and the fact that they first assist indigenous forces in resisting the Espheni, and then after evaluating their chances of success commit a larger force, that retaking their homeworld is much too big a task for them as of yet. So they pick away at the less well established Espheni vassal planets like Earth, reducing their resources, vessels, personnel, and strategic bases, until they've weakened the enemy enough that an assault to retake their homeworld is feasible.

16. propita

Waitaminute!

When did we fins out Tom is not Tom? Did I miss that scene?

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Huh? Where did that come from?

18. propita

I read this and saw later references, so I figured I missed something?

No?

The little girl looks amazingly like her "mother." Good casting.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, OK. Yea, I don't think that actually happened (At least I don't remember it). I think it was either dipping her hands into so much Alien DNA with de-harnessing the kids while pregnant, Tom's eye bug affecting his DNA passage, or maybe Lourdes spiked Anne's coffee or something, while under the influence. (Unless I too totally missed noticing a replacement Tom)

And yea, the little actress playing Alexis, if she's not Moon Bloodguard's real life daughter (Or close relative), they did an amazing job finding her, because she looks like she could've stepped right of a childhood pic of Moon Bloodguard

20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'll have to ask Freeze. I never saw a scene where Tom was not Tom, either. It'd be a plausible plot-twist, though.