Riddick starting filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Deckerd, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably, but it wouldn't be as effective as the actual lenses i'd guess.

Apparently part of the reason he will have to work for scale is because the studio won't let them go for an R rating if they don't shed some of the budget, and they really want it to have an R rating as opposed to the PG-13 that the theatrical cut of Riddick got. I agree, obviously.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Yes indeedy. The reasons are all sound. They both sound as thought it's going to happen this summer, so fingers and toes crossed.

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

There's something about Vin's deadly-earnestness which make me giggle, I'm afraid. Never quite saw the appeal... I'll see it on TNT in a year or so.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever seen Vin Diesel do "earnest." I don't think he can. No matter what the role, there's a sardonic, winking element to his performance. That's probably why I like him.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe that's what it is, the smirk underneath the steel... I can see it as fun, but I know some folks take it more seriously than you do and I've never been able to see that. Chronicles is one of those movies with no need to listen to the dialogue as far as I'm concerned lol. The movie is just as enjoyable without having to listen to it.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

[Gekko]Weird Is Good...and now apparently it's legal.[/Gekko]

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

People take the Riddick stuff seriously?

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. They are fun useless movies, it's not Gold with the Wind.

9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Well Diesel's just posted on FB that he's working on Riddick's character, so I'm guessing filming is imminent.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Looking forward to it, I appreciated both previous films for what they were (that is, surprisingly good IMO).

Also, The Chronicles of Riddick had Keith David in it. I'll watch everything with Keith David. It's a Giant Bomb/Mass Effect thing. :shrug:

11. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

^Spawn did that to me.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Pitch Black is such an amazing movie. I'm going to have to check out Chronicles some day, maybe just in preparation for this movie. I hope this one does well. Vin Diesel's enthusiasm to keep this character is something you don't normally see in Hollywood.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Diesel posted a piece of concept art on Facebook today.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love Riddick but let's be honest. The best part of Chronicle were the retreads of "Pitch Black" (Riddick must escape inescapable prison planet while fighting evil mercs). The whole underwearverse was pretty pointless and unnecessary.

Personally the movie can suck. I'm just glad the trilogy can be finished.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ This script captures a lot of what made "Pitch Black" so awesome while keeping in continuity as well and honoring what went down in Chronicles.

17. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved both Pitch Black and Chronicles Of Riddick, and am very glad to see they're working on a third film. I'm really looking forward to this.

Sean

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I'm exceited....

I hope they don't got too far from style/story "Chronicles of Riddick", though... I am one of the (few?) fans of that film. A great epic, lush, space opera. High cinema? No! But hugely enjoyable for a space opera fan like myself.

19. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

QFT!! :techman:

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    But he does the "sardonic, winking" thing earnestly. I really like Vin Diesel, even if I'm not always crazy about his movies (*cough*Babylon A.D.*cough*). On screen, he comes across as more of a normal cool guy than like a douchebag celebrity trying to play everyman. He is very good at doing what good actors are supposed to do: Behave as a natural person in the scene rather than be obviously "acting." He brings a naturalism to his decidedly unnaturalistic genre that most action stars can't muster. (Much as I like the Rock, he seems to have to try harder at it, compared to Diesel's naturalism. But I think the Rock has a greater range, so there's a trade-off.)

See, I reacted the exact opposite way. I loved the Underverse/Necromonger mythology stuff but thought the Crematoria sequences were a pointless diversion that only existed to give Riddick someplace to go for the 2nd act of the film.

Granted, The Chronicles of Riddick is a weird-ass film, all the more so because Pitch Black never even hinted at these more fantastical elements. (Someone once suggested it's like doing a sequel to The Maltese Falcon where you suddenly reveal that Sam Spade is a long-lost elf prince.) However, taken on its own terms, I really like the universe set up by The Chronicles of Riddick, much more so than I like the movie itself. The ending with Riddick as the new king of the Necromongers opens up far more interesting possibilities than anything that actually happens in the movie.

Amen to that! Anything to wash away the bad taste of xXx: State of the Union (which was directed by Lee Tamahori, the same guy that fucked up James Bond in Die Another Day).

Do Vaako or Dame Vaako make appearances?