Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I need to get some more Companion Chronicles, I just recently finished the Brig and Polly The Three Companions

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn, I should have come here instead of starting another Big Finish thread. Sorry folks.

I've been working my way through all of Six's stories, then will probably go back and finish up Eights adventures.

I've enjoyed the Evelyn stories, but I hate that they've done them out of order. Having her leave the Doctor, then going back and telling new stories of them travelling together does get rather confusing.

3. Sindatur

Eh, not like it's always easy for someone else to find the thread, it's kind of old, and drifts off the first page, and at the time I started the thread, I wasn't familiar with the Concept of Audio Plays versus Audio Books, so, it's not even titled well for a friendly search :alienblush: The suggestions have guided me to some incredible listening though. I do really like McGann, and I like what I've heard of C. Baker.

4. Sindatur

So, Finished The Reckoning, I really enjoyed it. Peri's characterization via the apparent difficulty for Nicola to find her voice, threw me off a but, and made it tough to follow who was where in the heavy Action scenes about 2/3 of the way through, so, that'll make this one a perfect target for a re-listen.

About 3/4 of the way through with The Marian Conspiracy, and enjoying Evelyn immensely, I do plan to return to her Adventures once I get through my next adventure which I believe will be Harry Potter Books 1 -7.

So, in the next few weeks to months, post Evelyn/Six stories for me to get, or post the chronology, which would probably be better?

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a list of Evelyn audios at her Wikipedia page; they're released in chronological order with the exceptions of Thicker than Water and A Death in the Family, both of which take place after her travels with the Doctor have ended. You can listen to those two, in the order I've mentioned them, at any point after Arrangements for War, although A Death in the Family also follows on from Project: Destiny, a seventh Doctor audio that itself follows on from Project: Twilight and Project: Lazarus. But don't worry too much about this timeline stuff; most of the Evelyn stories are standalone.

I like Evelyn as a character, but the stories in which she's appeared haven't often been standouts to my mind. Jubilee is brilliant, but none of the others I've heard have really impressed me. Doctor Who and the Pirates is pretty well-liked, though (the third episode is a musical), as are Arrangements for War and Thicker than Water. I do have a soft spot for 100, but it's not going to be to everyone's taste.

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I thought you'd like her. As I've said before, she was, in many ways, the genesis of Donna. She is an older woman - compared with the girls who usually travel with the Doctor - with life experience. She's not interested in anything romantic. She's there as a friend, and as someone who is every bit as wise as the Doctor. She has her own opinions on how things should be, and is never afraid to speak up when she thinks something is amiss.

She was cool before it was cool to be cool. :guffaw:

7. Cutter John

Well I've caught up with all the 6th Doctor adventures I have, and have started in on the 8th Doctor stories.
    I have to admit I skipped over the whole alternate universe Eight adventures. To be honest, that sort of messing with the universe just doesn't appeal to me. I really just like old fashioned type adventures if that makes any sense. So when they writers try to twist the characters, or get experimental I usually tune out. I just skipped out halfway through Terror Firma for just that reason. The way the story jumped from one scne to another just got annoying. So I guess its on to the next one.

Yeah, the thread title is what got me. When I think Audio Book, I think of a recording of someone reading an actual book. And to be honest, having read a fair number of old Target books, and one New Adventures title, I've never been a fan of DW fiction.

8. Cutter John

I haven't listened to a lot of Peter Davison's stories, but I definitely reccomend SINGULARITY. Featuring Turlough as the companion, its set in near future Moscow and features some quite interesting alien opponents. And its a good old fashioned time travel story. None of this bloody 'alternate universe' stuff that honestly gives me a damn headache.

Theres some possible conflict with the tv episode Utopia, but some quick speculation on the listeners part should fix that.

Two thumbs way up.

9. Sindatur

Thanks, although I loved Spare Parts, at times, I wasn't sure I enjoyed Davison on Audio as the Doctor as much as televised. I do want to become more accustomed to his Audio Performance so I definitely want more stellar stories to become accustomed to him.

10. Cutter John

Just finished another Davison story, Son of the Dragon. This one is a rare historical adventure featuring Peri at her whiniest, and a new female companion. This time they're dropped into the middle of the 15th century war between the invading Turks, and the historical Prince Vlad Ţepeș (Dracula). More good drama here, along with great performances by the regulars, and a brilliant music score. It really brings back memories of other great historical epics like Marco Polo and The Crusades.

Also highly reccomended.

11. OmahaStar

Do you mean Erimem? If so, she's not new. She was introduced six years earlier.

12. Cutter John

Six years? Blimey I've got some catching up to do.

In all fairness, this is only the fourth Davison story I've listened to.

13. Sindatur

YAY, Gallifrey Series 5 was released today or yesterday finally, downloading it now and will burn them later today, probably. Thanks for the RSS Feed tip, OmahaStar, I've been checking it about everyday

Except I have a dilemma, I'm currently listening to Harry Potter and only halfway through Book 6. Along with Gallifrey Series 5, I still have the two Colin Bakers with Jago and Lightfoot (Voyage to the New World and Voyage to Venus), and I'm going to get at least the second Colin/Evelyn Story, as well as relisten to her first one. So, I think, I'll finish up HP6, then switch to the Whoniverse before tackling HP Book 7 (And when all that's done, I've got both Mordants Need Books). I guess I could always listen to the Whoniverse at work, but, it's hard to follow a story, and get work done :alienblush:

Audiobooks/Audioplays is a bad addiction :alienblush:

14. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm also very excited about Gallifrey V's release, although it took me three tries to download it from their site because of my shitty connection. :scream:

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I appreciated staying focussed this time rather the wheel of sliders they gave us last year.

If you thought it seemed short, there's another 3 episodes coming in October.

Although how did the native Romana to that world have a copy of Princess Astra's body if the Regenerators were never sent to look for the key to time by the White Guardian?

It's almost like "someone" prepared the way for their tumble through the multiverse.

16. Sindatur

Heh, burned them to disk, and yea, I thought it did seem short at only 3 disks, but, yea, knowing another Series is due out in Octoner, kind of explained it to me.

So, I ended up buying the next 3 Evelyn/Colin stories (Spectre of Lang Moor, The Apocalypse Element, and Bloodtide), which all look cool, The Brig, Romana and The Daleks and Silurians.

So, when I finish HP6, I'll have a Whoniverse Feast.

Gallifrey 5.4 (Re-listen to remind me where we left off)
    Gallifrey 6
    Voyage to The New World and to Venus
    Evelyn's first 4 Stories (First will be a re-listen)

17. OmahaStar

I approve. :)

18. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Big Finish audio play Chimes of Midnight is in my Top 5 Doctor Who stories of any medium.

19. Sindatur

DalekJim, thanks for the suggestion of Chimes of Midnight, I'll look into that on my next round of purchasing.

So, I listened to the last disc of S4 Gallifrey Adventures to remind me where we left off (I know many hated S4, but, I enjoyed the world hopping change of pace). Then I listened to S5 Gallifrey Adventures, and I loved it. One Hell of a Cliffhanger and very unexpected. November can't come soon enough for S6. Bummer S5 was only 3 episodes, but, it was very worthwhile.

Got The Colin Baker/Peri The Reaping in the player now for a relisten, and then the trip home will start the Colin Baker Voyage to Venus.

20. Eliczo

Eliczo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Heres some of my favourites, I'm 7th Fan so listened to most of his releases, but also listening to all them slowly, now on the 90's of the main range.

Havent included titles already mentioned.

The Fires of Vulcan
    The Church and the Crown
    Arrangements for War
    Live 34
    The Kingmaker
    The Settling
    The Magic Mousetrap
    The Angel of Scutari
    A Death in the Family