Love Facebook? How do you use it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I love Facebook, I really do and I can't really understand the hate.

I only have 41 friends and only about 10 of those post regularly. Of those that post regularly it is my Trekbbs friends and my friend Bob who posts the most interesting topics. Bob is a local magician/juggler/tour guide/mentor of teens, he is a very interesting man.

Most of my feed consists of posts from pages I have liked. My favourites are

I fucking love science (he/she post really interesting pictures and articles)
    Sirocco Kakapo - Sirocco is the spokesbird for New Zealand conservation.
    Kakapo Recovery
    George Takei - very interesting feed

I also subscribe to many atheist pages (Matt Dillahunty, Skepticon, Freedom from Religion Foundation etc)

Other science pages (NASA, Science Alert, Science on Facebook etc)

Local pages (MONA Museum of Old and New Art, Clarence City Council, Hobart Blood Drive, Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Fullers Book Shop, local newspaper etc)

other book related pages (Amazon, Book Depository)

and some sillier pages such as Misery Bear, Cat Shaming and Aviation Humor.

Some of the discussions on the atheist pages gets a bit heated at times but that is the only real drama I am ever subjected to though occasionally a couple of my friends will have a bitch about something (and I have been know to bitch on occasion).

ANY INTERESTING PAGE Suggestions would be welcomed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love me some Facebook. Recently a lot of my friends have been bitching that they want to delete their accounts, and I honestly found that a little insulting.

Now, I admit that I update my status a little more often than most of my friends, but I have a standing rule about my status updates: I always ask the question, "Will anybody give a shit if I post this?" If the answer is no, I don't post.

I think Facebook should be fun. I don't use it to tell the world my life story, and I don't use it to stalk other people. Aside from texting, it has become the main way that I communicate with people that I don't see in person.

I also used it to create my Equinox Beard page, which so far has 130 followers. It's just a silly page about my beard, but I think it's funny, and other people seem to enjoy it, too. And if you're reading this, you should probably "Like" it. :shifty:

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, that was fast. :lol:

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I liked it as soon as I saw the bearded cat :)

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I will say, however, that Facebook was an absolute nightmare during the election season last year. So much democrat/republican bashing without any substance. People were essentially trying to threadbomb me into picking a side.

6. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've got two accounts, one my "real" account with real people on it that I hardly ever use and then I have my wissaboo account that I use to promote my message board and have only board people on it. That's the one I am usually logged in with. And with that I will like anything star trek related or any sort of star trek adjacent stuff like geek pages, big bang theory pages and any other sort of thing that star trek fans tend to like.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

55 friends and family, half of them post regularly. A lot of atheist, science, LGBT equality and pony pages/groups. It's the main way I keep in touch with my immediate social circle really.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I blocked a few people during the election. People don't realize you can block and they don't know it, they are still your friends but you have to go to their page to see their posts. I use mine almost exclusively for fandom interests and humor. I have one relative that comments sarcastically on my fandom posts but I just delete the comments. They have not yet noticed I always delete them :lol:

I don't "love" facebook but it provides some amusements. Some fabulous long running trolls on it.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ah yes, I have one less contact after the election. That was interesting.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a whole slew of relatives that don't know I have facebook. I've flat out lied when they have asked. I know if they were my friends I'd be trolling them every day posting pro gay marriage stuff because their heads would explode. My heading pic would probably be Janeway and 7 doing it under under a rainbow blanket. It's not that I don't want to have to censor myself (which I don't) it's that I don't trust myself not to be really really annoying.

11. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I don't love it but like it. It's my tool to keep in touch with my friends. As an expat, moving between countries and travelling some, I could easily lose contact with people I like and care about.

I have 40something friends. Only people I really know. I'm not a collector of strangers :lol:

Although one of my friends couldn't believe that it was my only account. She couldn't believe I didn't have hundreds of friends - she adds almost anyone who wants to friend her, whether or not she knows them ;)

12. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I use facebook to keep in touch with people I don't normally see. I've reconnected with some high school friends and I'm able to intereact with parents of children with heart defects like myself. I like all the connections and I can share parts of myself with others that would be hard to do otherwise.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, I do not have a Facebook account, and I doubt I ever will,

I imagine there are many variables in this equation. Family and friends on Facebook, where you live, how old you are, etc.

If it works for you, more power to you.

As for me, I'm not interested. If I care about you, we are already keeping in touch. I don't care about stupid things people I barely know are doing. That's my perspective, but I understand others have a different point of view.

So I guess I'm saying I don't "hate" Facebook, I just don't care to be part of it.

14. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Love using facebook. Lately, it's only on my phone, as I'm not really use my laptop at the moment, while i'm in melbourne.

Favourite links would be io, george take I and I f'ing love science. Plus a variety of other geeky, star trek and local convention pages. I have around 220 friends, but did lose one recently, but that person is an idiot and is too stupid to understand why I was annoyed with him. Basically I have moved on and don't care about that person anymore.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I railed against the idea of Facebook for so long, hated it from afar, then I decided to join and damn now I can't stay away from the place :) I mainly use it to keep in touch with my circle of friends, and it's nice to be back in contact with people I'd lost touch with, nice to see what people are doing. Have 78 friends (I just had to go check) and have no desire to 'friend' hundreds of strangers, I just like it as a way of chatting to friends, sharing photos and seeing other people's.

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use it only to communicate with my personal friends, arrange social activities etc. I have it set so people can't get anything useful about me unless they are my friend, and I am very careful about who I add. I have even refused all my family except for my sister. Not that I don't like them, I just don't want them to know about my personal life. They probably would not approve of some of it.

I don't use any apps, or subscribe to anybody, but a lot of the good stuff shows up in my feed because my friends subscribe to all that stuff. I do enjoy I Fucking Love Science.

17. scotcat

scotcat Ensign Red Shirt

I used it initially because two of my closest friends moved away - one to western Ireland and the other to Edinburgh - and this was a fun way for us to keep in touch. Since then, my brother and his wife, who live in the south east of england, have had two kids and I've also recently discovered family in South Africa.

So, for me, facebook has been great. It's hard being hundreds of miles away from family - I miss my nieces tremendously - and Facebook keeps me up to date with photos.

18. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I use it because it's something of a necessary evil for communication these days. I rarely post anything. When I do, now it's more of an cynical experiment. Case in point, posted about our latest ezine issue, something we put time, effort and care in to. Next to no response. Post about my "UFO" sighting New Year's. Lots of response.

19. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I use Facebook almost exclusively to assure my family I am still alive without having to actually talk to them.

20. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Facebook is a good way to keep track of friends and to organize social events. Everyone seems to be so busy. It's much easier to create an Event on Facebook than to contact people individually. It's also a good communication tool and a good way to share photos.