Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

EDIT: Unless you mean about HTV's work on upcoming seasons of course, I assumed you were talking about Season 2. If so, my bad.

Nope. Audio mixing and a single phaser shot, while not a small amount of work was certainly doable in a short time frame. This would involve a major rework of (presumably) most of the episodes in the season. That's me talking out of my ass there, but I doubt the shots they haven't shown are stonking needles-in-the-eyes sharp amazeballs quality.

Going back to what I said in my other post, the coloring on the Repulse is just weird. I did this in a minute in photoshop, shouldn't have taken them any longer to change it at the editing stage.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/160267

The Repulse is mostly green tinted in the original. And it's being lit by the same cool white/blue light source the Enterprise is. Whut?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I know it is already too late for season 2 to change the visual effects. I was talking more about seasons 4 and 6. CBS might order the visual effects company to be more consistent with the company that did the first season.

I've always thought that studios needed to screw up before they can do better with a product. It happened with season one audio mistake, which should have never happened in the first place. I bet they are much more careful about checking that stuff after the huge fan outcry.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks to me like it's just a slightly different shade of gray (perhaps because Curry thought it would give the shot a bit more variety, or because the Repulse is an older style ship).

I don't see it written anywhere that Starfleet ships all have to be the exact same color. In fact the Refit had a different tint to it in every freakin movie (sometimes greener, sometimes bluer, sometimes flat-out gray)! I don't understand why this is suddenly an issue now.

4. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

5. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If CBS-D isn't aware of the quality issues, at least the reviewers are aware of the problems this time around :)

This sounds great!

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Or to be more precise, one reviewer mentioned it because he had already heard about the issue online. :)

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

8. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

FYI, the link in your sig is dead. I really wanted to read that too.

9. bullethead

Fixed it (at least until Slate changes their URL scheme... again).

10. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Haven't been on the board in a few days but you beat me to it Max. The opening shot from EAF (first shot) is a totally different shot where the ship comes from the top of the screen and swoops in over the saucer. The second shot is just a slightly-over-the-saucer establishing shot that zooms over the top of the saucer towards the camera. It was certainly not a cut from the later portion of the EAF shot. In other words...two different shots from two different effects houses, originally.

11. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Excellent review! The live action footage looks infinitely superior to what we had originally and I cant wait to watch those bonus features. I like how the section on the VFX was approached too, emphasising on the positives from the first season and the differences between the 2.

I'm completely convinced that the shot of the Enterprise launching a probe from Where Silence has Lease is a CGI replacement so it can be forgiven for not matching the model shots.

But this to me sums it up perfectly, there is no reason why these 2 shots should be in any way dissimilar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Well I'm glad TrekCore's review points out the obvious flaws inherent in some of the shots. Makes me feel a bit less crazy for agreeing with those who pointed it out initially. :p

Also, the probe shot from Where Silence has Lease is unmistakably CG. If it took everyone here a good while to figure out the saucer seperation shot in EaF is CG, so how come that one looks so much more blatant?

13. bullethead

Because of the lack of grain and the finesse CBS-Digital put into their CGI shots.

14. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Wow, that is unreal. :( The Season 1 shot is amazing looking and somehow they butchered it in Season 2. What were they thinking?

15. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

It's not just a matter of colour, but also of missing shadows. It makes the Repulse look like it was pasted into the scene rather then being a part of it.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, a lot of the shots have that problem from what I can tell.

17. StewMc

StewMc Commodore Commodore

Is it just me or has the planet been reused? Why not just reuse the whole shot? (never though I would be complaining about not reusing stock footage)

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The 2nd season work does seem to be below the level of CBS Digital's but the Bluray is worth it for the extras alone. Can't wait to see Contagion, Q Who, Measure of a Man, Peak Performance and a handful of others in HD. They went and made my least favorite season interesting again.

RAMA

19. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

The planet was originally Minos from The Arsenal of Freedom but its slightly blurrier than it appeared in that episode. Why they messed with the way the Enterprise was composited and replaced the original ILM starfield is anyone's guess.

20. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt