Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol:

2. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

JMS made Krypton assploding into an assault by a rival planet in that solar system. Their ages-old war supposedly also explained why neither ever developed enough to expand beyond the system. I forget how Jor-el tried to save the day there. I think he just saw the end coming, and developed the inter-stellar tech in time to save just his son.

I always wanted the red sun to be an artificially brought about expansion that, let's say, the Guardians of the Universe effected eons ago as a last-ditch effort to ground Kryptonians, 'cause they had started pretty much single-handedly conquering civilizations circling yellow stars. Consider, their powers under a yellow sun make sense only if they had evolved on their own planet to thrive in that environment.

Let's say Jor-el figured out that whatever buffers were keeping the sun from expanding even further and swallowing Krypton were about to fail, brought it up with the occupying force, and got kicked off the puppet council for his subversive theories.

3. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I wonder what you think of these photos from Superman Homepage of Clark apparently set in Alaska.
    http://s323579992.onlinehome.us/news.php?readmore=10375
    There's some suggestion that this is Clark Kent wandering the world pre-Superman ala Batman Begins' Bruce Wayne in Prison

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep that's the rumour. Bearded Clark looks awesome...here's another link...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=82987

Also they're filming currently in Ucelet, British Columbia which is on Vancouver, Island. The link says 'Vancouver Set', not quite.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, it's always a conspiracy against all that's good and noble - hmm? Fabricating "poor oppressed us" nonsense doesn't make it so.

Studios make films in order to make money. Popular narrative art succeeds by appealing to people's tastes and values. If one is bitter, one can plug in any characterization of people and the world we live in that one chooses so as to have the equation of self-pity balance out. :rolleyes:

6. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

This explains soo much! :lol:

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

I actually meant to add that in an allegorical fashion, rather than strictly making sense in-story, it's an idea that's a lot more relevant now than then.

(Well, maybe I overstate it; fifty million people died in the six years following Superman's introduction. But you take the point.)

I do rather like the idea of Rao being artificially dimmed. I'd make the culprit Brainiac rather than the Guardians, to streamline it.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

All we can comment on is costume design. Which has very little to do with what Superman is about. If we had a script or even a few clips then we might have grounds to discuss if anyone gets what Superman is about.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Been reading it since before you were born, and I get it just fine - better than you, I'm sure. Your posts are mostly simple reactions to surfaces, not to anything worthy of being addressed as the "concept of Superman."

10. Myasishchev

There was this one time Superman was naked. Still pretty super though. And mannish.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the idea of him wandering the world first, but the beard does make him look awfully old for such an early period of his life.

I wonder if it's maybe something else, such as him being forced to go into hiding for some reason, or him needing to take a break from all the constant media attention. Or maybe it's just Clark going undercover for a story...

12. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly, this has been coming on for decades. long gone is the Superman who was a man of action, who knew what he was about and what the right thing to do was. Some people complained that was too simple. They didn't want to read about well-defined heroes, they wanted heroes who were just like them. So out came the adventures of Lois and Clark. Meanwhile, in the comics, Supes has devolved to the point where he's basically Peter Parker with a cape. Though even Spidey doesn't mope around emo-style and whine that he's Earth's savior or whatever the hell Superman Returns was about.
    I like Peter Parker. He's like us, and that's cool to read.
    But he's not Superman, you know.

Superpussy:
    [​IMG]

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe there will be a transformation: Bearded Clark --> Clean shaven Superman --> Bearded Clark. That would be awesome.

14. Myasishchev

You have a planet full of people blow up from underneath you twice and try to maintain a positive attitude.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^twice??

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember Smallville Clark had a beard at least once...I think it was after the season seven finale when the Fortress collapsed during his confrontation with Lex. He was working in Russia or something when Ollie found him. There are comic book examples as well...most of Superman: Exile comes to mind. I am really looking forward to seeing the journey aspect.

17. Myasishchev

New Krypton.

18. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

That kinda thing happening once can be chalked up to bad luck. When it happens again you start to think, "Maybe it's me?"

19. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Tour entire post is a non-sequitor, so I don't know how to issue a rebuttal, other than to ask you to please re-read (or is that read the first time?) my actual post. Thanks.

Cheers! :techman:

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral