3-D Anniversary Special

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Feb 11, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In related news, the BBC has announced that it intends to throw a lead balloon off the back of a failing bandwagon, and broadcast the result in 3-D.

Or to put it another way, I share the general 'Meh!' to this news.

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

they should just make the 5th doctors opening in 3d and show it on a loop. because stuff flying at you is all 3d is good for.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would one need to buy new glasses. My local Best Buy has the same kind of 3-D glasses they give out at the theatres with their 3-D TV display. So really, all you'd need to do is just keep the 3-D glasses next time you go to the theatre to see a 3-D movie.

But yeah, I'm not too thrilled with this news myself. I've given up on 3-D movies and have no interest in 3-D TV shows.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Different kinds of 3D TVs use different technology, and therefore different glasses. The TVs that come with expensive glasses won't work with the cheap movie-theater glasses.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh dear... :(

6. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

lots of Dalek plungers and eye stalks coming out of the screen then.... stuff that will look very cheesy taken out of it's context of looking good in 3D? Ah, so what! Doctor Who is cheesy anyway... I guess it will just add to the fun! :p

I went to the Doctor Who exhibition in Cardiff and they have a fantastic 3D short, the effects were very, very good and wowed everyone watching! The best 3D I'd ever seen actually... looked more 'solid' then Avatar even in my opinion! Let's hope that we get something of this quality.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Hobbit's 3d was fun. We'll see how this one's is in 20 years or so. (disregard waiting woo)

Anniversaries are the time it's culturally more acceptable to do ridiculous stunts, any other year it'd be way too tacky. It's a rare opportunity that shouldn't be wasted! Worth it if done only once. Celebrating history's important, but let's have fireworks too (even if they're expensive as fuck). Any other year spend the money on more content.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Anniversaries are the time to do ridiculous stunts *as well* - not instead of!

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

High praise, indeed, considering that so far Avatar is probably the only movie that actually had to be in 3D. Too bad its story sucked.

This. Totally this.

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be alright with the news if the special had been 90 minutes. As it is, it appears that the special is only 60 minutes because of this. If true, it's a shame. And, it's not the brightest of decisions if the budget is so tight!

Mr Awe

11. Konata Izumi

How much stunts should cost, must depend on how much you mind waiting!

3d + that convention in New Zealand around shooting + Peter Jackson wanting to direct == Peter Jackson multi-Doctor in New Zealand ???

12. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

3D is an irritating fad which I have no interest in investing my money in to experience, I'd rather they just use the usual filming equipment and spend the money on something less ridiculous.

13. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

HA!!!.......I just bought a 3DTV as well.:)

14. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

3D can go fuck itself. I love Doctor Who and I was super psyched about the Anniversary...until now.

Give us 2 hours, 90 minutes, multiple docs....ANYTHING but a 60 minute show in 3D. I'm really ready for Moffat to move along.

15. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want immersive 3D ... like Second Life but with live action so I not only see a stereographic view, but can deviate from the director's choice of camera angles on a scene-by scene basis.

Of course, that's still a bit of a ways off, but you can see hints of this in a lot of games these days, and it's sometimes quite convincing.

In the meantime, while current 3D tech is something of a gimmick, it's a pretty effective one when the director uses it carefully. A friend has a fairly decent 3D TV that uses the cheap glasses. Avatar, of course, was absolutely stunning. I even compared real 3D footage from the movie to the television's calculated 3D of 2D scenes from the same movie (while the effect looked 3D, it badly misinterpreted some scenes -- still, it was an impressive demonstration of what could be done using at-home technology).

Thor was also amazing, although a lot less immersive than Avatar, and it suffered here and there with some flat-looking objects that shouldn't have been flat-looking, moving in 3D space ... like watching cardboard cut outs of people moving closer or further away. The interesting thing is that gaming becomes super immersive in 3D. Not only do you move around freely, but your eyes are telling you the world really does have depth. This is where 3D television really shines, because most directors don't have the intuitive sense for 3D the way James Cameron does, and I really doubt Doctor Who in 3D will be anything more than a joke. But for gaming? It's the best thing since the invention of the joystick.

I wear glasses during almost all waking hours. The cheap glasses with my friend's TV are the same type used in the theaters, and she frequently brings her own to the movies these days. I find them awkward to wear along with my prescription glasses, but usually manage okay with them. I wouldn't want to wear them continually throughout an entire evening's TV watching, but a movie or two a week would be just fine. Later this spring, I plan to buy a new TV, and I'm seriously considering a 120Hz 3D flatscreen based on the experiences at my friend's. If I do, I'll also be investing in a few pairs of these for my family, so we don't look quite so dorky.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I have a 3D tv but I rarely use the facility, as it's too much hassle with the glasses etc. Having said that, movies which were made to be seen in 3D, in particular animated movies, do look fantastic on it. So I'll probably watch it in 3D, the first time anyway.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Fuck 3D. Take the money from that and make a 3 hour special instead. Gimmick.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow the BBC is totally fucking up here

19. Konata Izumi

If it was 90 mins vs. 60 mins in 3d I'd take the latter, but 3 hours' irresistible:techman:

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts exactly.