zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like that skant / trousers uniform variant.

2. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I know it's supposed to curve in like that, I meant that bit of black you could see at what looks like the edge of the carpet, there's so little of the baseboard showing there but enough that it looks like SOMETHING, almost like floor continuing from the edge of the carpet. I suppose they didn't think the baseboard would be seen at all, like the underside of the railing. :p

3. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

its the plant but with the curved glass it is distorted

4. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's exactly what TNG on BR should be used for. Color correct and digitally 'erase' errors in the sets...erase marks, make the monitors more 'alive', erase those black covers on the back stations, correct makeup rubbing off, etc. They should've made the monitors on the TOS bridge look more alive rather than as the gel sheets they were.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No, they really shouldn't. They needed to respect the work all those people did all those years ago. If you need artificial blinkies that look more modern, go watch *Star Trek 2009.

* Not a slam at the film.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

In HD it's really obvious now what a rough and poorly painted prop the monitor is on Picard's desk. Especially in eps like Contagion.

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there are certainly some drawbacks or discrepancies that should have been corrected, but then others left alone. It is amazing how much we don't notice in the lower resolution media. However, also remember that with the scene pacing, one wouldn't expect people to divert their attention away from the main activity at hand. That's why they didn't bother to waste time painting the underside of hand rails, just in case there's a low to the floor shot one day. ;) We have the luxury of time with the media in our possession; free to watch, freeze-frame, and re-watch to notice lots of things.

8. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

And people ask why I am not an HD buff.

9. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

They also need to respect the original intent of the writers and if the budgets and methods of 1980s production prevented them from getting their story across as they intended, and the technology exists today to correct that, then that is what they should do.

It would be immensely frustrating and downright wrong to still have the Enterprise firing phaser shots from its photon torpedo launcher in Darmok for example, when we get to series 5.

Also the 2ft model used in the time tunnel looks downright appaling in Time Squared. No-one would object to a swish new CG Enterprise in that episode, methinks.

10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. The misaligned phaser in season 5 should be fixed. If the lighting passes are misaligned, they should be fixed. If Data's makeup comes off or Worf's looks particularly poorly matched to Dorn's skin, by all means, fix it. Those kinds of things detract from the experience and suspension of disbelief, especially in HD. Go ahead and give new shots of the ship like TOS-R so it isn't the same 8 shots of the Enterprise every single episode. That was one of the great things in TOS-R...it added to the show to have those new shots and new planets to look forward to each episode. I don't see that as disrespecting the original intent, but fulfilling it.

11. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"No-one", really? I'm fairly certain lots of people would object to a restoration project that doesn't restore what was actually filmed.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Winner. I just wanted the film elements cleaned up and put on the discs and replace the effects that couldn't be carried over.

And I don't want the two-foot or the four-foot models replaced. For good or ill, they were there and they were created by people who put a lot of work into them.

13. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

....and then ruined by people who couldn't be bothered transferring that work correctly :rofl:

14. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In Q Who, after the ship is carved up like a roast and Worf is giving his report on the number of dead, you can see two tiny, tiny black holes on the seam of his uniform arm that suggest it's tearing.

Also, at the start of that scene when Picard walks on the bridge he stops a little behind a white mark on the carpet. Hard to tell if this is the remains of a mark or just general uncleanliness.

15. BRUNT[FCA]

BRUNT[FCA] Cadet Newbie

Glad to see i wasn't the only one to notice this. thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me. They're on screen for most of the foreground Bridge action...and a couple of occasions in Engineering....

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do have to admit, watching The Naked Now the other night on BD for the first time, it really did occur to me that Jonathan Frakes had obviously forgotten to shave that day. He sports a considerable 5 o'clock shadow throughout the episode, giving one the impression of The Famous Beard™ beginning to make it's mighty presence known. ;)

17. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

I hope not to stray too much off topic now, but this reminded me the Defiant in the ENT mirror-universe episode shot a photon from a 'wrong' location, obviously even CGI fx are liable to make those mistakes.

18. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

If it is consistent within the pisode, then that is not a problem for me.

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

since all 7 seasons are now out on Blu-Ray
    any new revelations on major visuals you never saw on DVD due to resolution?

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the entirety of AGT is an illusion created by Q, any inconsistencies that crop up (such as Data's rank in the Farpoint scenes) can be pretty much dismissed.