Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You think that's an issue... check out what a friend just emailed me...

If you Pre-Order Star Trek Online at these places, here's what you'll get.

GameStop -- GameStop customers receive the ability to command the exclusive
    and always classic USS Enterprise from Star Trek The Original Series.

Best Buy -- Best Buy is offering their customers a fun in-game pet. As a
    Federation Captain, players own a famed Tribble of Star Trek lore that will
    accompany them on their travels into the final frontier. As a Klingon
    commander, players control the boar-like Targ, a beast found on the Klingon
    home world of Qo?noS.

Amazon -- Amazon is offering an exclusive ?Liberated Borg? Bridge Officer.
    This bridge officer, who comes with unique nanotechnology augmentations,
    assists in missions and gains experience as the player does.

Wal-Mart -- With the Wal-Mart Bonus Skill Points package, receive addition
    skill points that enable players to improve their characters quickly.

Target -- Target customers who preorder Star Trek Online receive a unique
    ground weapon ? a TR-116. This rare projectile weapon is used in dampening
    fields and other challenging environments; it is also modified with a micro-
    transporter which beams the fired projectiles to targets at close range so
    that a user can fire without a direct line of site.

Direct2Drive -- Direct2Drive customers receive an exclusive Multi-Spatial
    Personal Shield. This advanced personal shield system is based on Borg
    technology, which constantly regenerates itself and the health of its
    wearer.

STEAM -- STEAM is offering customers Chromodynamic Armor. This armor is
    based on technology brought back from the Delta Quadrant by U.S.S. Voyager
    improves the damage and critical hits of energy weapons.

What the Fucking Hell? Who the hell do I pre-order from, assuming I still want to play this game that may or may not be out in February of 2010?

2. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the next nine weeks will tell if its going to make that Feb release date, its eleven weeks till the end of Febuary so they need about two weeks after going gold for printing and distibution, so assuming the releasee date is at the end of Feb they have nine weeks to go from a closed beta to the finished game......although i see the closed bete will be open to everybody from the 12th of jan till the 26th Jan so we will all get a chance to see it in action.

I hope they do make the release date, but i dont want them to make the release date with a games thats full of bugs up the wazzo, we certainly dont need another Trek game of that nature.(Star Trek New World,Dominions wars, PC Legacy).:(

3. vess

vess Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just have two quick questions, maybe someone can help me out..

1.) Is there any definite info out on whether or not STO will be released on console anytime in the near future?

2.) I know that online is in the title, but is there a NON-online component. Like a single player story or something? I have no real knowledge of MMOs and the concept doesn't excite me, but the game looks cool.

Thanks!

4. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Check out the latest videos: http://www.startrekonline.com/videos
    The game looks awesome from the vids.

They're accepting Beta testing applications too. Been waiting to dive into an ST MMO like forever ...just a few more months now...

EDIT: I guess people here already knew this...I've been late on the uptake!

5. rahullak

You don't think its cool to have story-based RPGs set in an online (virtually unlimited) universe, where you get to play collaboratively or against other people? You don't think its cool to play a game that resembles the Star Trek universe as closely as it can and helps you immerse yourself even more? I certainly do.

6. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

7. vess

vess Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didn't say anything about it not being cool. I think it's very cool. I just would want to play alone.

8. IDIC

IDIC Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would say either Bestbuy or the Amazon one would be the one to go with. I say that because I think with the other stuff you will out rank them to point where you wouldnt use them anymore. The Borg Bridge officer would just be a unique skin most likely and you could just keep that officer around and train them up so they would scale properly. The pet is likely to be only something you would see on your own bridge.

I am not saying that the other stuff wouldnt be useful to begin with but I think only the two things above would be something you keep around for awhile.

9. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I'm fairly interested in the game, but I think I'm falling into the system spec/upgrade conundrum. Perhaps later in the year.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

The only single player like MMO being released is Bioware's upcoming Old Republic MMO which will include full voice-over for every NPC. Seems like Bioware's being more the innovator than Cryptic is.

11. rahullak

Well if this first installment of ST:O is a hit, then I'm sure we'll have upcoming versions that could incorporate any innovations that come up in the MMO genre.

12. Tyson

Tyson Fleet Captain

Yeah, but Star Wars is for pussies; fuck it.

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It comes down to budget. Star Wars The Old Republic is being bankrolled by LucasArts and they definitely want the game to be what they felt Star Wars galaxies should have been; so they have abiout 3 times the production budget. I realize in the end, all anyone cares about is whether STO is a good MMO or not, budget be damned - but nothing is made in a vaccum, and Bioware has more time and momey to develop SWTOR then Atari gave Cryptic to make STO.

Also, found a very well done fan made trailer for STO.

14. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

It's looking extremely doubtful that this game will be on consoles - at least, not any time soon. They originally announced Xbox/PS3 but I'm guessing it's going to be PC only.

Any word on how much the monthly fee will be? That continues to be one of the things that keeps me away from MMOs (in addition to the time commitment, which I just don't have). I find it annoying to have to fork out more cash every month to keep playing a game that I already bought once.

15. Owain Taggart

Well, budget or not, STO doesn't look like much of an inspired game. Doesn't even look like they're really trying to make STO to be different rather than applying new MMO foundations, in a way that would open up avenus for MMOs. Someone's got to be an innovator to move the genre forward. I would of liked to have had STO be the one, but looks to me like it's Bioware. At least it's doing something new and trying new things by going in a different direction.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? Because they have voice over? Please, Age of Conan had intigrated and full voice over for the first 20 levels of their MMO; great the first time through, but kind of annoying when you get an alt going. Other than that, based on the Dev videos Bioware put out, the GAMEPLAY is very much 'standard MMO'. In fact it just looks like KotOR III but in an MMO format/sertting (and FYI I don't think that's a bad thing as I liked the KotOR games, and am looking forward to seeing how SWTOR turns out) - hope it's good as I'm SICK TO DEATH of the High Fanasy genere most modern MMOs adopt.

The fact is - any financial backer will probably have it in the contract that the ioverall design of any new MMO should copy World of Warcraft since it's a big success and the people with the purse strings want a quick ROI; so, the matra is 'stick with what's successful.

Problem is (and even Blizzard acknowledges this); WoW's overwhelming success was a fluke caused by a number of factors in the MMO market in 2004; and I doubt ANY new Western MMO (even SWTOR which I think could do 1 million+ suba if it's released right) will even duplicate it and get 11+ million subs.

But, time will tell for BOTH STO and SWTOR next year.

17. Owain Taggart

No, not just talking about the full voicover, although that's just one of the many aspects that make it move forward. It's more in the style of gameplay, and the way they're making a solo style storyline. That's what makes me excited. Just because it's online doesn't mean it can't have a good engaging story and I feel that's what's been missing in the genre, and something that Bioware recognizes.

18. StardustSteph

StardustSteph Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm actually really looking forward to this game. I'm trying not to have really any expectations so hopefully I can try and enjoy it and not get nit picky. I don't have much experience with MMORPGs I've played LOTR a bit, but nothing hardcore, but since I heard about STO I have been so pumped. I can't wait...I just don't want to get too overly excited and then end up disappointed.

19. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Anyone here actually on the Beta?

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

There is a chance that the Beta users had to sign and agree to a Non-Disclosure-Agreement which is legally binding until March 2010 or later. P.S. I am not a Beta tester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.