The Worf & Troi romance... what are your thoughts on it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think it made sense that they attempted to have a relationship, but it doesn't make any sense that in All Good Things' future it lasted for years.

Having a physical attraction between Worf and Deanna makes a lot of sense just purely on the basis that they are complete complements. But they would never get along with each other in a long term relationship.

2. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fake it might have been, but it couldn't possibly be faker - and by that I mean more contrived and less like actual real life - than what passed for a romance between Riker and Troi. That was fake. I've seen plenty of unlikely couples - admittedly none involving a Klingon and a Betazoid :) - but I have never in real life met anybody who could, so long as it furthered the plot, ignore a great undying love for seven years, and all while seeing the object of this great love every single day. Yet that's what we're supposed to think was the case with Riker and Troi. Ridiculous.

(And it isn't helped by the fact that, for me, almost nobody is worse at a love scene than Jonathan Frakes, who always comes across as smarmy and insincere even when he's supposed to be in the throes of passion.)

Such conveniently disposable romances happen on TV a lot, not merely Trek, and I hate it everytime. It's not right to expect viewers to take characters seriously if the writers don't.

Good point. I forgot about that.

3. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

Worf and Troi getting together may have worked as a "concept", but nothing more. It just didn't seem right. I mean, as the years went by; they developed a deeper friendship, but I can't imagine it being any more than that.

4. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if the hindsight factor, the fact that by now we know Riker and Troi are going to get married and that Worf is going to move to DS9 and marry Dax makes this relationship seem more out of left field. I'm wondering if this question were posed before those things happened, would the general opinion be different. Cause when it happened, way before Insurection and Nemesis (and Worf on DS9) I rememebr thinking that at least Worf was willing to pay some attention to Deanna, unlike Commander No Commitment.

Just a thought...

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't mince words, what do you really think? :guffaw:

6. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a weak idea, without doubt, but look on the bright side, it did wonders for fixing that awful "Ill advised romance of the week" phenomenon she'd had for far too long

The douche from "The Price"
    The geek from Masterpiece Society
    The Creep from Man of The People

Although, in her defense, Beverly's passing ship's were far creepier, the metamorphosing man, the symbiont that ends up in Riker, & the god awful Ghost

The ugliest part of the show were everyone's one off romance episodes. Picard's 2 were the only ones that even worked at all

The show needed a healthy budding relationship, or at least they thought so, & they'd exhausted the Riker/Troi & Crusher/Picard angles. They were grasping at straws

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think the only reason Riker didn't interfere with Worf/Troi was he knew Worf could break him in two.

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I don't know how you guys can say the Worf/Troi relationship was "last minute." The writers were clearly edging the two characters toward each other as far back as Season 5! Maybe not in an obvious way, but if you look, there's stuff there to support it.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Deanna was lucky to get out while she still could.

Worf's mates all tend to end up as corpses.

10. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WB! Woo-hoo! Honestly, I don't say anti-Riker things just to tempt you into a thread, but how nice when it works out that way.

In the future, I'll try to make my statements less subtle.

Oh, and Doubleohfive, you make a good point. I think the signs were there - at least for those who weren't Riker-obsessed. ;)

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh Worf was using the kid as the chick magnet. Some use out of Alexander after all. ;)

12. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I agree, there were definitely some hindsight clues in there.

:guffaw:

:guffaw: So true

13. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That worked most in fistful of Data's when Alex invited counselor Troi to the holodeck. But I am sure he did not use him for that lol:lol:

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, I resemble that remark! :lol: To be fair, I had noticed. I think there was a nice, gradual build up of the Worf/Troi thing.

15. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    I agree. I saw it coming too.

I think I would've gone for the Klingon myself. He's got a cute teddy bear thing going on...not to mention that Michael Dorn smile...Wow!