To read next: Voyager, New Frontier, or Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by robinson, Aug 25, 2013.

1. robinson

robinson Ensign Newbie

Hi all -- I read the great "Charting the Novel-verse" thread, but I had a question that's maybe a little more specific.

I am just about to finish reading the Destiny trilogy. Eventually, I want to read all the Kirsten Beyer Voyager books, the recent post-After the Fall New Frontier books, and also TNG: Losing the Peace, Singular Destiny, and then the Typhon Pact books.

I heard there's a little shared reference between TNG: Losing the Peace and Voyager: Full Circle, and also that Singular Destiny affects Voyager: Full Circle and Unworthy. Can I read Losing the Peace, Singular Destiny, and then the Voyager books before I read the Typhon Pact books and still know everything that's going on, or do the Voyager books refer to Typhon Pact (even insignificantly) such that I should read the Typhon Pact books entirely before the Voyager books?

Same question for New Frontier -- do they complete stand alone after Destiny, or should I read the Typhon Pact books before the final New Frontier books (if they refer to the Typhon Pact, I'd like to have read those books and know what the Pact is before I read the references).

Thanks!

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Voyager is really a stand-alone story. Full Circle and Unworthy do expand on threads from Destiny (since Voyager has to play catch up from where we had last seen it in 2378 in Spirit Walk Book 2), but from there on out Voyager is on its own, and I believe that it has actually fallen behind in terms of the where it is in the 2380's compared to where TNG, DS9 and the other books are. There have been a few mentions of the Typhon Pact, but they are so indistinct that it's like if you were in the military of the US or Canada. Sure the border disputes related to the after events of 9/11 and the increased security at the borders are in the news, but for you, whether you are in Afghanistan or Iraq, those disputes do not matter since you need to concentrate on the mission at hand.

Losing The Peace, kicks off the Typhon Pact arc after Destiny & A Singular Destiny.

I've only read a few New Frontier novels, so I'm not too sure where they've ended up. The last "new" New Frontier novel I read was #12 Being Human, and I still have the books after it, but I'm not too sure what happens past then.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The references to the Typhon Pact in the books like Losing the Peace, Over a Torrent Sea, and Full Circle are just passing mentions that it exists. Since you already know that it exists, that won't spoil anything for you.

As for NF, not only does it generally stand on its own without making any reference to the other books (and indeed has apparently contradicted them on some points), but the last NF novel is apparently set before Destiny, or at least before the Pact was founded.

4. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I'm currently reading the Titan series. I'm in the second book of the Destiny series now. After "Destiny" I was told to read "Over a Torrent Sea", "Synthesis" and "Seize the Fire" (Typhon Pact #2) then the newer Titan books.

Is that the right reading order? And do I need to read the entire Typhon Pact series or is the Titan crew only in that one book?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^As a general rule, Trek books are not written so that you have to read them all in a particular order to understand them. If that were the case, there'd be no point in having different subseries. Each series is meant to stand on its own, with references to other series just being bonuses or easter eggs. Indeed, for the most part, each individual book is meant to be comprehensible on its own. Anything relevant from earlier books or other series will be explained in the book itself.

In a multiseries crossover like Typhon Pact, generally the books' links to their own respective series are stronger than their links to one another. Destiny is the one real exception to that to date, although I'm not sure about the upcoming The Fall. The most recent Titan novel, Fallen Gods, is a followup to events in Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony, but even there, you could probably follow the story well enough just by reading the TTN installments.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a spoiler for one plot point in the Typhon Pact novels in the newest Voyager book, The Eternal Tide. So you might want to save that one for later.

Are you only wanting to read the Titan novels or do you want to continue the stories of TNG, DS9, and the Aventine after Destiny as well? The Titan is only in the one Typhon Pact novel.

You might also be interested in looking at my website, which is linked in my signature.

7. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

One way to do it is to read the books in published order.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New Frontier started out great but I didn't even read the last three or four novels, it really went downhill for me.

Voyager, I've only read the relaunch starting with Full Circle, everything before that I can't comment on.

As for the Typhon Pact, it's not so much a series since the novels are not set on one specific ship or deal with one specific crew. They deal with several of the ships and crews we know and love, as they have encounters with several of the members of the Typhon Pact. That's why they were published under that banner. So, Seize The Fire for example, is really a Titan novel.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

http://startreklitverse.yolasite.com/post-nemesis-reading-list.php

This is the answer to your question.

Read New Frontier whenever you want to; they're distinctly unrelated, and contradictory or at least awkwardly shoehorned into the main continuity after Missing In Action and on from there.

10. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I don't know about the TC, but I'm only reading the Titan novels right now, but the Aventine has really caught my interest during Destiny, so I might follow it later.

I've already checked out your sight a few times. Great job by the way.

11. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops when you jumped in the conversation I failed to notice you weren't the one who started the thread. Anyway, thanks for the interest in the site!