What do you want to see in DS9 Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I want to see more runabouts, more of the Defiant's shuttlebay, more Trills, Andorians, Tellarites, Trials and Tribblelations: exterior shots of the Enterprise and D7 entering warp; add shots from The Trouble with Tribbles Remastered and add new shots period. :techman:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At the bare minimum:
    -Fix the godawful saturation and contrast that the VHS masters had
    -TNG S1 level reworking of the model made VFX
    -Some more ship variety in the DS9 fleet battle scenes (but keep the iconic shots, like that Miranda rolling into the camera in Sacrifice of Angels)
    -Fix the Bellerophon's and second Defiant's registry numbers
    -Less stock footage in the finale

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't expect CBS to make new footage or edit episodes.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^For the CGI elements they might have to because more than likely they were rendered for SD not HD.

5. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

My juvenile answer:

Jadzia
    Kira
    Ezri

naked...got that out of the way.

Let the serious answers continue

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't want any "new" stuff that isn't justified. (Things that were done in error the first time are fair game.) As with TNG, I mostly just want the show the way it was. Except I hope that when it comes time to recreate CG shots:

That the Defiant model is a better match for the physical one than it was originally.
    That they do not copy/paste stocks shots as they were forced to do originally.

And I don't think a director's cut of "To The Death" is out of the question. As for other episodes, I'd just be happy to see some deleted scenes in the extras.

7. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    Is a DS9 remaster even nearly as marketable as TNG Remastered? DS9 already looks pretty okay, at least as far as special effects are concerned. TNG benefits way more from the special treatment, and of course it was the more popular series, so there's more of a profit for Paramount.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

DS9 currently has the exact same lo-res video transfers that TNG had. It will benefit from a remastering every bit as much as TNG has.

9. Terran

Terran Ensign Red Shirt

Does anyone else see a purple tint occasionally on the DVD release? I am begging for them to release this on BluRay, but I do have my doubts that it would be profitable enough for them. Although saying that, the Trek community is a loyal one, maybe fan based sales would be enough to make it plausible?

10. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really, although the last time I rewatched some DS9, I picked a season 7 episode. The purple tint sounds a lot like whatever happened to the TNG S1 masters.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

There's bound to be a DS9 Bluray release. Most of it was filmed - even the FX for the first few years, so it's suitable, although the last few (2 ?) seasons will need new FX to replace the lo-res CGI. Or so I heard... Costly, but less so than Voyager which is apparently stuffed as it's all CG'd and would need a complete do-over.

Trek series have to keep being reissued to keep earning money - it's just that the less popular shows don't have the sales to make it worth it until costs drop. That's why Enterprise has leapfrogged the other shows - it's already pretty much ready for Bluray already so despite it's lack of popularity, it's cheapness makes it worthwhile releasing next.

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

in my opinion there was too much about the Dominion war. I'd like that edited to a shorter story arc and a few open ends led to a decent conclusion. For example, a few episodes about Kai Opaka in exile would have been interesting, particularly with Kai Winn as a counterpart. Or if/how the shapeshifters managed to survive their disease (and why didn't Odo get infected?). What happened to the prophets? They surely didn't appreciate a war right in front of their door. Did Lwaxana and Odo stay in contact?
    Hmm.. just had an idea: imagine an epi with Lwaxana and Mooghie as a team! They could easily take on the whole quadrant and make a good profit (and a lot of fun)

There are a zillion other questions that never got answered.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Huh? What do you mean if/how the Founders got cured and why didn't Odo get infected? Odo was infected by Section 31, and passed it onto the rest of them. Then he was cured when Miles and Bashir entered Sloane's mind. In the Finale he cured The Female Founder and then went back to the link to cure the rest of them.

14. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

ah, must have missed that one. Thanks, Sindatur :)
    But that leads us to another gap I'd like to be filled:

how did Section 31 discover/develop the desease in the first place? It would require at least one changeling for researching their physiology and they could easily have used that "guinea-pig" to infect the Great Link instead of infecting Odo at the off-chance that he might one day go back to his people and infect them.
    And when Odo was cured, why didn't he cure the orther Founders immediately? They'd have owed him then and the whole Dominion War could have been ended then and there.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, that really has nothing to do with this thread. (As in, there is zero chance of them changing the story content.)

16. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Too much Dominion War? Pshaw! No such thing!

You do realize they wouldn't be creating NEW episodes, right?

Could Section 31 have captured a Changeling to use for "guinea pig" purposes? It's possible. We know there were a few on Earth, and possibly other Federation worlds.

As for what I'd like? Pump up the ship battle shots even more! Put MORE ships in those shots. Show different classes! (We never did see an Ambassador, since they never bothered to make a CG version).

Replace some of the stock footage they used in "What You Leave Behind", and in doing so, fix that registry number discrepancy on the new Defiant.

In fact, if they had time, they could go back and change any shots from, say, the fourth season on and change the NX to an NCC. (Too picky?)

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's basically exactly what happened. He wasn't cured until the last couple episodes, and he promised to cure the Female Changeling (And go back to the Great Link) if she stopped the war and gave herself up

18. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    Actually, you're completely right, I just rewatched "Emissary" today, and I'd have to agree. It does need some work. I hadn't rewatched DS9 in so long...everything looks better in distant hindsight, doesn't it?

On a minor note, one thing I picked up on today that definitely needs attending to is this: in the scene where Sisko meets with Picard in the Enterprise's conference room, and you can see Bajor from the window, and it clearly looks like a large prop hanging just outside the window. The shadowing looks awful, and the planet looks like paper-mache.

And then it began to occur to me how much graininess in the image there was, and how "model-y" the ship models looked. It really could use some cleaning up.

It started a chain reaction in my head where every Trek episode I watched today in my personal little marathon started to look terrible. I watched TNG's "Timescape" and began to notice how much all of the actors who were supposed to be frozen in time are jiggling a little bit. If they don't fix that in the eventual remaster, it's really going to show in HD. That's when I knew I needed to take a break and go eat some Thanksgiving food. :lol:

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 needs to be given to Lucas!!!

All this stuff could be injected into a very special remastered edition.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: the Bellerophon, I'm assuming you're referring to the Intrepid-class ship of that name? And the scene in "Inter Arma..." which shows that ship, but it's actually a reused scene from VOY and you can see the Voyager's registry number on it?