Katy Manning

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by CaptainMatt, Apr 9, 2012.

1. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish I could post pictures on here but have yet to master the technology (despite my friends' attempts to get me to learn) but anyway-

Who was sad and brokenhearted when you saw The Green Death the first time and realised it was Jo Grant's last story in Dr. Who?

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It didn't really bother me the first time I sawe it, since it was the very first Who episode I'd ever seen.

It didn't affect my enjoyment of the episode in later years, as her deciding to leave was just such an out-of-the-blue thing. But that really was a sad ending. Pertwee did a brilliant job.

3. CaptainMatt

I think he did a brilliant job with that ending. Definitely classic.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Very sad to see her to go.

Of course, like most people who watched on PBS in America, I saw Tom Baker and Sarahjane first, and then Pertwee came later.

So, it was very sad, after getting to know Jo Grant to see her leaving, but, it was bitersweet, as she was getting married, and the following episodes happened to be brand new (to me) Sarahjane episodes, so that was a cool balance.

5. CaptainMatt

I also saw Baker with Sarah Jane first but eventually grew to love Pertwee and Jo Grant. I think she made his exile more bearable during the UNIT years, and he was quite sad to see her go. She was probably like a daughter to him and once she left to marry, he seemed to lose much of his interest in working for UNIT and staying around on Earth once his exile had been lifted.

6. Cutter John

I know there are a few people here who dislike her, and yeah she could be pretty damn stupid sometimes. but she was just so bloody cute. It'd be like hating a puppy. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. CaptainMatt

No one in their right mind would hate a puppy. I think Jo proved herself in stories like The Daemons where she is willing to sacrifice herself for the Doctor, and Frontier in Space, where she ably resists the Master's hypnotism.

8. Sindatur

Puppy, yea, seeing her in The Sarah Jane Adventures I got a very "Cute Puppy Dog" vibe from her appearance :bolian:

[Off-topic rant] Speaking of Sarahjane, the Show is called The Sarah Jane Adventures, yet she was consistently telling Rani's Mom (Gita?) that her name was Sarahjane, not Sarah, to me that implies her name is not Sarah Jane, but, rather it is Sarahjane? Inquiring Minds want to know [/rant]

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

It's Sarah-Jane like someone being called Jim-Bob or Anna-Beth.

10. Cutter John

I love that there's only one person who's allowed to call her Sarah. :)

11. CaptainMatt

So for those who were sad to see Jo go in The Green Death, who was psyched to see her return, without warning, in The Sarah Jane Adventures? I was! It was everything I had hoped for, and was a nice reunion tale for her and the Doctor.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I was warned :)

Personally I've never had anything against Jo, and she was darned cute back in the day, but there are plenty of companions I'd have wanted to see return before her. Pity we never got the suggesed Ace return :(

13. Cutter John

Well to be fair, it made sence to get two companions the same age and from roughly the same era with similar memories. So at least they didn't have to spend half the episode warming up to one another (like Sarah and Rose).

14. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Sophie's said she would've come back in SJA if asked, but sadly... still, she could come back in the parent show...

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well apparently RTD was considering it before events beyond anyone's control took over :(

Good point by the way Cutter...

16. Cutter John

Thanks. :)

Wish we could talk Moffat into bringing her back for the main series. Sadly he doesn't seem to be the hopeless fanboy who goes for that sort of thing like RTD. :)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I mean it's the sort of thing that should be limited, be a bit silly if an ex companion came back every year, but be nice to see another School Reunion one of these days :)

18. Sindatur

I'd love to see Ace come back for the Anniversary, if it's a Multi-Doctor/Companion story. There are apparently quite a few possible futures for Ace in the Extended Universe after McCoy's tenure, it'd be nice to have one onscreen that can be considered canon.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Well there is some mention of her in Sarah Jane Adventures...

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The puppy analogy is perfect for Jo Grant. Cute, likeable, but not particularly smart. I did enjoy her character and it was sad to see her go. Although, I saw her time on the series a decade or so after she left so it was old news by then! I did enjoy seeing her on SJA. I didn't usually watch that show but I caught that one specifically.

I, too, would enjoy seeing some old companions brought back. One every so often. There needs to be some for the anniversary! Along with some previous Doctors!

Mr Awe