Star Trek Teaser - Grading and Disscusion

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by EyalM, Jan 17, 2008.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it on youtube and WOW that was great. From the first few seconds you wouldn't know it was for a Star Trek movie. The use of the transporter sound at the end gave me goose bumps. Can't wait for the next trailer.

Speaking of, anyone else who went to see Cloverfield get :censored: 10,000 BC instead for the trailer? I was kinda pissed about that, at least the movie was good.

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I chronicled my misadventures regarding such here.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm stoked. I'm pumped. Where's the tissues?!?

4. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't remember other Trek teasers well enough to say that this one was the "best ever." What I saw at the theater tonight was good, but not quite a mind-blowing experience. They didn't show a single actor from the main cast, and I didn't like the way the starship was lit.

Anyone who says that this Trek teaser alone was worth the price of admission is certainly nuts.

5. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its a TEASER - anyone who had expectations that they would see any or the main cast clearly doesn't grasp what teaser trailers are for...

As for your other issue that's all about opinion I'm sure. I don't think we were supposed to get a "glory shot" for this by any means.

If memory serves there's almost always a starfield involved with Trek teaser trailers, and for Trek VI there was a projection on the Enterprise of past adventures from film and tv. That one also seemed to stand out in that it was different then most teasers. Trek II's I think was a voice over of one of the normal "voice over guys from the 80's" and a starfield. All the others escape me.

Sharr

6. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Audio analysis:

It sounds like they'll be using the important Courage music cues... which makes me happy. Also, people keep calling that sound behind the delta shield logo "the transporter sound" but in fact it's more... it starts off as a TOS transporter sound but it ends up as that "ringing plant leaf" sound they used as audio atmosphere in a lot of landing party scenes... most notably in The Cage (where Spock and Pike grasp the leaves moving in the breeze and the sound stops).

7. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A rather convenient defense. Teasers are supposed to be largely free of content, so we shouldn't criticize them for any reason. I'll try to keep that in mind.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It makes sense, if said shipyards are in geosynchronous orbit over San Francisco.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The ST trailer was $AU 11.00 using my "Hot Cash"/"Screen Saver" voucher - and the other trailers, ads and "Cloverfield" were free.

A bargain! ;)

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

We had an "Indy 4" foyer display at "Cloverfield", with a real hat and a whip!

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Star Trek and Indy are both major hits for Paramount, maybe they can combine the two franchises for the next outing.

Or how about the Enterprise reaches Cybertron? :)

12. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

DANGNABBIT !

Well, at least there was a coming soon poster in our multiplex....

- W -
    * I'm really jealous of you can't you tell ? *

13. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

If the shipyard is in geosynchronous orbit directly above Frisco, I don't see a problem in the least.

14. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then it should follow that the plaque would saying something about orbital shipyards - it doesn't.

It just seems pointless to call another location "San Fran shipyards" when indeed there is in reality such a place and extend logic to make sure there's another place in space by the same name.

Sharr

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Saw it with Cloverfield, it's gotta be a reboot, unless building the ship is only in the teaser, Spock served with Pike 18 years before Kirk, so no way is Kirk not getting the ship first. Plus the whole Piper/McCoy thing, this is a reboot.

16. FlyingTigress

FlyingTigress Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The "Hemi" and the Dodge Ram logo on the front of the nacelle certainly adds to that theory... ;)

17. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, how do we know Kirk will even be in command or that McCoy will be the doctor? Just because they're in the movie doesn't mean that they will be filling their usual roles. Being a "prequel" and all, they may not even be part of the Enterprise crew yet.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Not if it is shorthand. Saying something was built in Sol system doesn't mean it was built on the sun, just someplace in the system. San Fran could be short for San Fran Orbital Yard.

The dock, in GR's TMP-era concept, WAS in synchronous orbit about SF, at least according to Probert and I think Sackett, but it doesn't LOOK that way because the Earth would be too small in frame, so they resized the image to make it look good while still thinking it was geosync.

Also: saying 'orbital yards' might seem redundant by then, if you proceed from the assumption that everything had been getting built up there for the previous hundred or hundredfifty years (which was the notion with the TMP drydock, that it was a very OLD structure, but one flexible to keep in service, and would contrast visually with the newness of the refit's paint job); just like saying spacedock, when of course the thing is in space. Bennett seemed to have a real case of the 'space-ies" what with space doors and spacedocks.

19. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The teaser won't be in the film.

20. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Where in the teaser did it say Kirk was in command of the Enterprise or that McCoy is the CMO?