World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Iano

Iano Lieutenant Red Shirt

Got a link?

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

That was a scene eventually cut from the film. It will appear on the DVD. This was reported in Trekmovie some months ago.

3. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

So that's it? They destroy Vulcan for good??? Is this a frakking joke??? So no more Vulcan in any future incarnations of "Star Trek"? This is the most ludicrous, rdiculous thing I have ever heard them do! Where on earth is the hope and humanity in that as Abrams keeps espousing? That must be billions dead! And don't give me this alternate universe crap with how it's all bright and dandy in the real Star Trek universe. Why is everyone so gang ho on watching an alternate universe anyway? If you hate Star Trek that much go and watch another show! For Christ's sake. :rolleyes:

4. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

So, basically, everyone on the interwebs is saying that Nimoy was telling the truth when he said only a good script would drag him out of retirement. Because, you know, anti-reboot fanboy #3 said Nimoy was lying and only in it for the money.

5. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

watch the movie for yourself.

6. urbandk

Nimoy seemed genuinely emotional at the screening last night. He was dignified and rightly proud of this movie. He lends it weight and circumstance.

7. locborg

locborg Commander Red Shirt

i dont support his language ^^ but he definately got a point. it sounds like all what abrams did was to create an alternate star trek universe in which he is able to meet the expectations of the early 21th century popcorn flick audience.

is this still star trek, or do we really have to forget "all we knew" just like the tagline told us to?

where is the connection to the star trek universe we cared about for decades (except for spock prime...)?

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Thanks. Are any starships from the 24th century shown (besides Spock's ship)?

9. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Simple solution to what happens to Vulcan:
    They get relocated to Ceti Alpha VI and all is well, until the noisy neighbors move in next door...

10. urbandk

No :)

11. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

I am sorry to say this, but if this is the type of thing this movie is about then I do not see myself watching it. This is meant to be a utopian future, not some type of armageddon endtime story.

12. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Right on! :techman:

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, we get to watch this - and this is Star Trek.

"Alternate universe" my butt - it's a reboot with a little sleight-of-hand, and it's overdue.

14. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

The real Star Trek universe? The only way we'll ever see that place again is with a dvd player.

15. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

16. urbandk

it is a utopian future, but it is our future. bad things have certainly happened in star trek land before, need i remind you.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Have you ever counted up the billions of intelligent creatures - entire planets - that were wiped out in the episodes of TOS?

Now, was that acceptably "utopian" just because they were people you didn't see, on worlds you had no investment in? Pretty shallow ground in which to stake your argument that this movie somehow violates the optimistic spirit of Star Trek.

18. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

And that's what bothers me. Regardless of what the producers say, this film's purpose is to entirely replace the original version of Star Trek, not to honour it. And before anyone starts on about how all these alterations mean new future storylines, let me point you in the direction of IDW Comics and Pocket Books, who produce cool, interesting stories and still remain entirely faithful to what has gone before. In doing away with Vulcan in this fashion, the new film simply cannot be called Star Trek. If Abrams & co. want to do this, they should remove the words Star Trek from the title, change the names of the characters, change the name of the ship, and change the names of the planets. What they are doing to the franchise isn't creative, it's LAZY.

19. urbandk

not a quote of me. EDIT EDIT!!!

[Fixed - there and here. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  20. Admiral Buzzkill

Replace, no.

Succeed, yes.

Clearly, the studio wants to produce profitable Star Trek projects again. This is their best path to doing that; oldTrek was as lively as an insect in amber.