Any old timers still around?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by kgibsonuk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Nope, not even close. When I joined up and during the era of Enterprise this place was one of the most happening boards on the Internet. And all our most skilled and glorious trolls are long gone, replaced by fools and idiots who probably couldn't argue with a bag of kettle chips without getting their butts whooped and being banned within the first couple of days.

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Yeah, It was still fairly..active to the point where Misc was still kinda fun my first couple years after signing on. Honestly, TNZ kind of reminds me of Misc from few years back.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That's partly because this place isn't as fun as it was back then. I certainly don't post anywhere near as much as I used to. And whenever I do, I'm usually ignored, or shouted down for whatever reason, so I'm mostly in lurk mode these days.

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the things I don't like about Message Boards in general is the sense of "Talking to yourself". There are times when I feel that here, and there's another board where I feel that all the time. I've been lurking more too.

5. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

I have to admit scrolling through the Misc thread I thought WTF? Post last thing you ate, what your watching/reading/brought et cetera? That is like old Lounge shit, not the fun Misc I remember where random topics if all sorts just bounced here and there and everywhere.

None of these threads make me anyway inclined to enter them. And they're certainly not fun. Dead boring I say. I really don't give a shit if somebody just ate a Little Debbie Cupcake or brought a Blu-Ray!

I have no access to TNZ so I have no knowledge what is behind that wall.

6. cooleddie74

Be glad.

There be dragons there.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

TNZ has been the "new misc" for so long now that it's really just the old misc.

Sorry. I shall endeavor to do better.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps I should start a new thread with a poll to see the make-up of the current user vis-รก-vis how long they've been here.

Less than a year
    1-2 years
    2-3 years

and so

Though i think the last option would be 10+ years.

I somehow suspect that it might lean towards people towards long serving members.

9. cooleddie74

Just remember: more gratuitous nudity and diatribes against the Bilderbergers and Council on Foreign Relations, with a heavy emphasis on the nudity.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Consider yourself lucky. The stupidest thing I ever did here was access that "forum".

If I had the ability, I'd ban myself from it.

For several lifetimes.

11. tomalak301

If there's one thing I noticed about the TNZ forum (And it goes well with the "Old Misc" feel), it's how cliequy it's become. I go in there and notice if you have an ounce of conservativism in you, you will be blasted as a troll or something. Heaven forbid anyone post anything in there that talked good about Romney (And I thought there were good aspects about him). Also, there was one time when that Troll thread actually pissed me off. I had a thread in here (Misc) and got blasted for it in the troll thread. I didn't say it at the time, but if you're going to blast me for something, do it to me, not go run off to your "safe" forum like a coward.

There are things I miss about this forum but there are some good threads that pop up every now and then. I noticed for me now it's if I'm in the mood to post, I will really post. Most times I just lurk though.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. I've mentioned several times in there that I am a Republican and I have never been blasted for it.

You do have to be good at arguing your point, but that's true anywhere, really.

13. tomalak301

Well, I didn't get that sense, but I'll take your word for it. Of course just popping in there from time to time I can only go by observation, and I'm willing to admit that it might be a little harsh.

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a workshop if he'd like to attend.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have understood what you meant by "Noughties" if it hadn't been for Weebl's Stuff. :alienblush: :lol:

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

While it's true, there is a much more liberal bent in TNZ, I don't think you're exactly being fair to everyone who posts in there.

Mitt Romney was a liar and a scumbag. It wasn't that you weren't allowed to go to TNZ and post about him. It was that the majority of the people in there already knew enough about Romney to have formed their opinions on him and in an election season as contentious as the last one, of course the vultures would start circling. If you want an actual, fair, academic discussion about issues or politics, it can be had in TNZ if the stars align, but it's by no means a guarantee, and certainly not when it comes to such hot topics as the last election.

Is this about that time I complained in the Troll thread about how whiny you sometimes are? I thought we reached an accord privately about that?

Putting that aside for the moment, the fact that you're not supposed to talk about what happens in TNZ out side of TNZ, and putting aside for the moment that you're completely ignoring the entire purpose of the Troll thread, you might have a point but here you are, whining again.

Well, not that I agree with you at all that it is cowardly to use a thread in a secured forum for precisely what that thread is designed to do, I'm responding to you here because that's what you seem to want. Hopefully you'll take that in to consideration with whatever reply you choose to offer to this post.

TNZ is the Misc of old, but with the practice mitts removed. Mr. Laser Beam nailed it on the head when he said that you really just need to know how to argue your point well in TNZ. That's all. If you can't do that, then of course you're going to dislike it because it is, by design, no-holds barred in there. What was it Q said in "Q-Who?"

Just my two cents. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  17. tomalak301

Doubleohfive,

No it wasn't about that. It was about something else, and yes we did clear the air about what you brought up.

In terms of going to talk about it in that one thread, isn't that the equivilant of talking behind someone's back? I admit I lurk mostly in TNZ but when I post something and then it get's criticized without me knowing about it, I had a problem with that. However, that was in the past and I was replying to the idea that TNZ was like the Old Misc.

You are right about one thing though. I do have a tendency to complain and it is something I really do need to work on. Sorry if I came off as harsh.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

This. These days TNZ is like a S&M club with dozens of doms punishing the same couple of subs again and again.

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

And the subs love it.

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's a TNZ clique? How do I sign up?

Oh. And is there a secret handshake?