Serpents in the Garden cover

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cover for Jeff Mariotte's Serpents in the Garden has been posted on thetrekcollective.com.

You can see it here.

I actually kind of like it. Somewhat cheesy, but fun.

2. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

That chest needs more oil

3. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

That cover...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOQqBMz70iM[/yt]

;)

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who's the artist that did the cover art for this book?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The back cover says "Cover art and design by Alan Dingman."

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm reminded of a discussion a few months back where someone was wondering when this book is set, pre-TMP or pre-TWOK. I suggested pre-TWOK since Kirk wearing a red jacket would likely sell more copies than if he were wearing the gray jumpsuit.

Well, that cover doesn't really settle the matter, though if it is pre-TMP they've gotten around the dilemma of the gray jumpsuit's marketability.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, it hadn't really registered on me that it wasn't an image taken from "A Private Little War," because that's Kirk's movie-era hair. Nice.

I seem to remember a 1990s TOS-era novel with an "A Private Little War" follow-up, but I don't see anything on Memory Beta. Anyone remember?

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can't find a reference to any such novel or Strange New Worlds story. I thought it might be in Peter David's "The Trial of James T. Kirk" from DC's comic, but that was Anan 7 testifying about the aftermath of "A Taste of Armageddon." And there was the earlier comics story about how Kirk screwed up Gamma Trianguli VI after "The Apple." But the only "Private Little War"-derived story I can think of is the telling of the Klingon side of the affair in IDW's Blood Will Tell.

9. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVneqqeyO2M[/yt]

Never half ass anything. :D

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"The Disinherited" novel follows immediately after the events of "A Private Little War" (not mentioned on Memory Beta's Neural page). But I think that's just how the stardates pan out.

A civil war on Neural is part of the Star Trek "Starfleet Academy" game - was it also referenced in the novelization of that?

24th century Neural - and the troupe of Mugatu - feature at the end of "New Frontier: Stone and Anvil", of course.

11. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel much the same. I don't normally go for character covers, especially Kirk covers. But there's something about this one; maybe that it's a bit retro, and quite bright, which is unusual for a Star Trek cover.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's definitely a big change from the usual Trek book covers. Maybe this is a sign we'll be getting a bit more variety.

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher thanks for the name of the artist. I like this cover art with Captain Kirk on the cover. It's nice to see movie era Kirk on the cover.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

A nice change of pace.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Kind of reminds me of the cover art to Voyager's The Garden---although the colors on this TOS book were definitely computer generated.

16. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thoughts were that McCoy was correct in his assessment of what would happen on that planet and that the conflict there would only be resolved once the greater conflict which spawned it (that between the Federation and the Klingon Empire) was resolved.

I recently rewatched the TNG episode "Too Short a Season" and wonder if the writers of that episode took the concept of the man supplying arms to both sides from "A Private Little War".

17. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually remember this thread. The wiki entry has been changed since, though, so I assume the 'original Jameson'=Kirk claim was untrue.

18. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

I'd imagine that something similar would happen to any number of planets in the Fed/Klingon border area. They can't fight each other due to the Organians so they tend to fight proxy wars. You probably wouldn't be able to supply the natives with phasers but you can teach them to build weapons of their own. A similar situation probably played out on dozens of planets.

You can actually imagine something similar happening in A Private Little War when Kirk is encouraging the Organins to rise up against the Klingons even though they have made it quite clear that they are willing to follow the Klingons instructions. Kirk knew that Kir had said he would do and he still committed sabotage that would be blamed on the natives. Federation first, natives second seems to be how the Prime Directive is interpreted in these situations. When you have a culture that hasn't had any contact with another spacefaring race (or government) then you can pull out the purer version of the PD.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, the original Jameson = Kirk pitch was mentioned in the "ST:TNG Companion".

20. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

So now that the book is out, can anyone tell me where it takes place in regards to the movies? Pre-TMP? Post-TMP/Pre-TWOK? Post STV/Pre-TUC? The only other thread I can find on it is the review thread, and I'd like to avoid spoilers if I can. Thank you!