Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sayonara maru, Apr 4, 2013.

1. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Something that really bothered me about Voyager is how EXTREMELY CHEAP the interior of the ship looked. The enterprise D was very elegant. The bridge was distinct and all the primary stations were recognizable. The defiant was also very detailed and well designed.

BUT ON VOYAGER:

..Everything seems to be made of this icky fisher price looking gray plastic

..The helmsmen sits in an office depot desk chair

..The captains chair isnt even iconic like it is on the Enterprise A, B, C, D and E... or the Defiant.. That bothered the shit out of me.

..There seem to be at least 4 different "conference" rooms. They are so drab and spartan you dont care if they are deciding the fate of the galaxy or planning a tea party

..No Ten Forward or Bar.. instead the crew spend all their time in a holodeck???

..Engineering is only SLIGHTLY better but not by much. I hate to keep rehashing it but when you were in engineering on geordi's enterprise, you knew and felt it.

..Having the nacelles go into "flight mode" everytime you go to warp is ridiculous. How long does it take to angle the pylons 45 degrees before you engage? Just long enough for someone to take out the warp drive? (which seems to happen constantly)

I dont know why production values on voyager were so thrift shop but I think its one of the major reasons this iteration of star trek faired so poorly. Ive also seen some of the other posters comments about the characters and story writing and have to agree with many of them.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course I have never noticed any of this.

If it is silly or cardboard looking I don't see it. If it is awesome and detailed like the NX-01 I fall in love with it. My filters are strong :lol:

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

One of the set designers was Richard James, who also worked on TNG.

As to those nacelles, the ship exterior was designed by Rick Sternbach. He shows up on the board occasionally. Maybe you should ask him.

If you like pointing out flaws in set design, you'll love the TOS forum.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I love Voyager's set design. It's the best of modern Trek IMO. It's sleek, functional, and practical--the kind of things one would expect in a long-range research vessel and not, say, a luxury cruise liner.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

So many new cadets in the recent week.

They're probably different people.

Picard's Enterprise was built in a time of peace.

Compare it to the Enterprise from Yesterdays Enterprise built after 15 years at war with the Klingons.

Same outer dimensions. More fire-power, 9 thousand soldiers.

Voyager was Built during a time of war.

The Brg were always coming and every one knew the Cardassians were on the verge of doing something stupid.

When did they start building the intrepid class? When did they lay the keel for Voyager? How different would the same ship be if it was built during a time of peace and a time of war?

6. Melakon

I didn't like the switch to a single pilot position, but i know it was just to save money from hiring somebody with no lines to play navigator.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I always assumed the Intrepid class was built specifically for going the worm hole and exploring Gamma, since it was commissioned at the beginning of 2370.

There's no canon evidence to support this obviously, but we do know that both the Intrepid and Bellerophon were permanently stationed at DS9.

I figure Voyager would have been too. So Voyager would have instead gone on to an extended survey of Gamma, which is why it was getting the last bits of maintenance at DS9.

8. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep. I still love the Ent-D for the most part, but I thought that the bridge was at its best in GEN (when it lost some of the "living room" feel and gained more functionality), and feel that the interior sets in general - while good - had WAY too much beige and brown. Voyager traded those colors in for grays and blues - big improvement. As Clegg says, it had a very sleek, minimalist approach which worked very well.

Externally, the Intrepid is not one of my favorite designs (whereas the Galaxy and Defiant both are), but it's still got a good look to it. I did think the moving nacelles were silly, though - partially because they really only had two positions: on and off. It wasn't "variable geometry" so much as "the nacelles have to swing up before we can go to warp for some reason." :lol:

Guess they must have swiped that chair from the Ent-A or the Ent-E.
    Seriously? :lol: I would never have even thought of this before I read this thread.
    4 conference rooms? What?
    Hello.

Though VOY did have far too much holodeck time, I'll give you that.

Hmm... I dunno about that. I don't see the Feds being able to churn out an entire class - from drawing up the initial design concept to launching not just the prototype, but also a second ship of the class, for field duty - in just two years (2369-2371). I think it's entirely possible that the mission profile of the Intrepid is a good match with GQ exploration, since the class seems to have been designed as a science/research oriented vessel generally, but I don't think it could have been purpose-built from the ground up based on discovering the wormhole.
    We... do? When was that established?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. teacake

Saito you can't hotlink. You have to copy the pic you want and put in your own pic account such as photobucket or flickr, than paste it from there :)

It's because our Captain is so humble, she doesn't need an iconic chair.

10. Melakon

Best to load an image to your own host and then link to that. Or link to the page with the image, not the image itself.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Quite a bit (if not most) of the look of the Voyager was determined by the show's producers. During its design, the ship went from being something of a rugged "super runabout" to a mini Galaxy-class ship.

12. Saito S

Edited.

Had a derp moment, was thinking that "hotlinking" referred only to posting the image itself in the post (i.e. the image actually appears in the thread). :alienblush:

13. teacake

:: pats Saito S gently ::

14. Melakon

* apologizes to Teacake for simultaneous post *

15. teacake

I'll survive. It was brutal being redundant for those few moments I was reading but I'm okay now.

16. Melakon

It was the second time it happened to me in an hour.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

2 double posts in 2 hours?

That's three in a row, so off straight to jail without collecting money for passing go.

18. Melakon

No, two cases of posting at the same time as someone else within an hour. Though the other one contradicted the other guy's post.

The worst was when I was doing a run on all the 5-word threads, and it happened 3 times. CoolEddie must get a text message on them, he hits them pretty fast.

19. Saito S

:D
    :lol: It can be a traumatic experience!
    eddie is like some kind of TrekBBS ninja, though, so it's understandable.

Thanks to both of you for catching my little faux pas.

20. Melakon

We all make them.

Except for the ladies of course.