It was all a misunderstanding....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Samurai8472, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So i've been out canvassing for the democratic party since October 8th

On October 13th I was assigned the 33rd,34th,35th,36th streets. On 35th street I met this woman. Her name was Stefanie. She seemed nice but it turns out she was a Republican. I had to knock on the back door to talk to her.

On November 1st I was assigned the University neighborhood. I realized I was close to where Stefanie lived. I thought i'd stop by and say Hi. I was hoping she might accept a facebook friend request too.

Around 8:00 pm I dropped by her house. Her front door was locked but the lights were on. I knocked a few times then tried the back door like last time. When she answered the door she was annoyed "Please don't knock on my door" and told me she still wouldn't vote for the democratic party. I was stunned and couldn't say anything but "Never mind"

I left but wrote a short apology saying "I'm sorry for disturbing you but I was in the neighborhood and just wanted to say hi. I was hoping we could be friends on facebook"

12:15 am I receive a phone call from an officer. He said that Stefanie was a little shaken up by the encounter. The officer said she got my apology and accepted it.

I'm not allowed to contact her by phone or computer now

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Um. Okay.

3. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but I would have been scared too, especially if I was a chick and some person kept coming around to see me after I told them I was interested.

4. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Probably best not to dwell about her on a message board, either!

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

6. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't recommend showing up at her back door again, either.

7. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd definitely forget you ever met her, while simultaneously making an effort not to run into her again.

8. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Was she hot at least?

9. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

i'm telling you guys. this american fear of democrats is getting ridiculous...

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

It would be different if you saw her on the street and decided to say Hi...but going by her home and knocking on her door...not the best idea.

I would just forget you met this person.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

This is very good advice!

12. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's more the American fear of some random guy who came to their door returning later, after business hours, and knocking because "the lights were on."

13. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

There was a guy from one of my classes in college who would show up outside my dorm room window randomly. It started to creep me out pretty quickly.

14. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Ok, so knocking on someone's door to say hi after you've already talked is a no-go? Am I missing something here? Because I think that's rather normal.

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

After one encounter? And after hours? Yes it is a no-go. ;)

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

People don't like intrusion into their homes - so if you knock on their day and they say "no thank you", they don't expect to see you at 8pm in the evening knocking on their back-door asking if you want to be friends on facebook. I think most people would find that odd.

At best, if I meet someone like that, I might have dropped a note saying "hi, it was great to meet you, would like to chat more as you seemed an interesting person and here's my facebook name but no problem if you don't want to - but make sure you vote either way!"

Then leave it at that, it's not too heavy and they have control and the next step (positive or negative) is entirely upto them and you aren't putting them on the spot.

17. Colonel Green

Colonel Green Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the fact that after he went around to the back door after he knocked "a few times" on the front door is what crossed the line. When someone doesn't answer their door that usually means "go away", but it almost never means "wander my property in search of an alternate entryway". :lol:

18. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    Yeah, if I were living or home alone, it would worry me, too. It's just one of those "better safe than sorry" things.

I don't know that I would have called the police right off the bat, but I can see why she might have gotten nervous. Best to just let this one go.

19. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This. Totally.

Exactly.

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with what is and isn't appropriate. The one with the misunderstanding is the OP -- he still doesn't seem to understand that he's the one who behaved objectionably here, not her. Really? You were "stunned" that she told you she wasn't interested, after she had already sent you away because she wasn't interested?

I swear social networking has turned us all into idiots. Knocking on a stranger's door because you want to "friend request" her (and subsequently get access to lots of her personal info)? Yes, that's creepy behavior. And the police would seem to agree.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh and under no circumstance when talking to the police say "I was only trying to get in her backdoor".