The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

You Tube?

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Cloverfield merchandise was only available through direct retailers, not at mass market(ie Target/Wal-Mart).

It is a type of mixed message.
    Hey its PG-13(some reviewers think thats a generous rating) how many 13-17yr old teens you know buy large quantities of "toys"? Not collectors

The target audience for these figures at mass market is 6-12yr old. Will that many parents be dragging their kids in? God I hope not and if they do they better keep them under control.

I had a brat tugging my chair for the whole 3rd act of Hellboy2 and the mother was useless. :scream: It was all I could do to not turn around and give it to her. I swear if that happens at TDK I'll go postal on some father/mother.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Six more days! Six more days! Six more days!

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Granted.

But in 1991, they made action figures for Terminator 2: Judgment Day. I had some. And I saw said film when I was 7, on rental. Likewise, few years later, I recall they had figures for some Stallone film, either Demolition Man or Judge Dredd. I'm sure there are other examples as well. And those where outright rated R. So figures for a hard PG-13 isn't exactly reaching.

5. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

Also, those Dominos commercials suck.

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's the kids being able to handle it so much as it would be the parents freaking out. Coming from a teacher's perspective, parents can be stupid.

True, but since those films were rated R, parents can "control" that a little better (in terms of what to take their kids to see). However, Batman is a little different. Batman, being a comic book property, has been more "family targeted" in the media than times that it has been for "mature audiences." Granted, he is a darker character, but even more-serious depictions of Bats have been tame (Even Batman Begins, although, I will admit, that little kids probably would be bored with the first half of the movie). General audience peoples who don't search the internet on the latest movie buzz like the good folks at the TrekBBS here, will probably think "Oh, Batman. Should be good fun here."

Hmm...I don't know if I am making sense...so, in summation, I have an equation:

Toys + PG-13 rating + movie that early critics are saying are not for kiddies = Captain Craig being annoyed during his viewing of TDK.

7. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

ROTS had a HUGE toy blitz, and that wasn't a kids geard movie.

8. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, Roeper and Michael Phillips just said (on Ebert and Roeper At the Movies) that TDK merits a Best Picture nomination, and they can't imagine Ledger not getting a Best Supporting nomination, and not for sympathy reasons. That it is possibly the best superhero epic ever made, one of the best films of the decade - a real ensemble piece where every performance is even better than you expect from the talented cast. No Godfather II comparisons - Heat and The Departed were the films invoked.

I expected a good review, but I'm stunned to hear such complete praise, especially fron two guys who usually only grudgingly agree. Good lord - this may be even better than I thought it was going to be. Considering my hopes for the flick, this is getting into, forgive the pun, crazy territory.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw that review. They were both crazily enthusiastic over the film. It's nuts. I mean, I have very high hopes, but this almost unanimous praise just raises my hopes and expectations a notch every time I hear or read something new about this film. It's almost unbelievable.

Personally, I can't wait to see what Roger Ebert has to say. He absolutely loved Batman Begins and I have a feeling he's going to go apeshit over The Dark Knight as well.

This is going to be the single longest week of my life. :eek:

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ebert's a big Batman fan. He didn't like any of the Burton/Schmacher films.

11. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Wednesday cannot come here soon enough. IMAX baby! IMAX!

12. Lapis Exilis

I know, it's one thing for fans to be slavering at the mouth and for fansites to be raving, but the critics always provide a hefty dose of reality to balance the film lover in me with the Batman fan in me. If they're saying these things - geez, just how good is this film?

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't take a young kid to see to see The Dark Knight. A kid who was 11 or 12, I don't think would be a problem. The absolute worst I remember was parents taking kids who had to be 4, 5, or 6 to see the South Park movie. Absolutely inexcuseable I thought and it was clear to me that the parents didn't care enough to read what was actually in that movie.

I'm looking forward to this movie. Though I really wish the media would quit with the Heath Ledger hard-on. I felt sorry about his death but give it a rest already. Here was a guy who died naked in an Olson twins apartment because he couldn't stop shoving pills down his throat. He gotten more tributes than most people who actually deserve it.

14. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

DarkHorizon's reports that WB is projecting a $90-100 million opening weekend, while many Box Office tracking sites are saying that is much too modest, themselves predicting a $130+ million opening weekend.

I, for one, hope that they totally blow everyone away and make $200+ million in an opening 3 day. :)

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

If it does that just how mega front loaded would it be? That opening alone would take it well past $400m but its second weekend drop off might look bad in comparison.

16. JacksonArcher

I think WB is being modest because they want to appear pleasantly surprised when the film DOES exceed their expectations. See, they're being smart. Verses having wild expectations (which they probably do have) they are saying they have mild ones, so when the film does do big numbers, they can say, "Wow, the film blew our minds!".

It's a lesson they probably learned with Superman Returns, when they expected the film to do a lot more than it did. They had to be very lenient on what they said to the media because it was obvious they were expecting more. Now, I seriously doubt The Dark Knight will do that poorly, or not reach expectations, but WB is playing it safe.

I don't blame 'em.

And for the record, I think DK has a very good chance of reaching $130 million plus opening weekend. $200 million? We'll see. ;)

17. JacksonArcher

What the hell?! Heath Ledger died in his own apartment. He was dating Mary Kate Olsen at the time. However he died, that's not the case. It was an accident, and a horrible tragedy. The man, according to critics everywhere, delivers an amazing performance. Let's give this man the respect he deserves, all right? :rolleyes:

18. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

This was the end of the article about this weeks box office on chud.com, with thought to next weeks box office;

"As the internet tells us the greatest film in the history of the world opens on Friday, and from all early word it makes Orson Welles look like Tristam Shandy, Howard Hawks look like Shirley Temple, Gregg Toland like Bunny Yeager, and Robert Bresson like Uwe Boll. This fucker is known to cure leukemia, and autism. Perhaps even Aspbergers? That I can not say. Anyway the suction of that film opening should cause the polar ice caps to re-freeze, and it should open to $400 Million easily, and then do $450 the next weekend. It's just that good."

:guffaw:

19. Lapis Exilis

Hee!

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

But it doesn't take American Express!