Star Trek Box Sets

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by trekkie4ever, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I'm waiting for a complete remastered Blu Ray set before I re-purchase the films.

2. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I saw the same, but those were the DVD sets.

The Blu-Rays were around $70 I think.

I'll see for myself how well the TOS movies fare in their theatrical forms on Blu, but some day, I hope they get Darren Dochterman and company to recreate the Directors Edition of TMP.

CBS Digital might be able to help out with that also.

I'm happy to have the theatrical releases.

3. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Here-here.

Restored, not over DNRed, multiple versions, deleted scenes. Do it right or keep it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I picked up the TOS and TNG sets on DVD today. Now I just need the time to watch them... :lol:

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Blu-rays for the TOS and TNG movies are not bad, and IMHO, The Motion Picture and The Wrath Of Khan look fantastic. The others I'd rate as overall pretty good.

The sound on TMP is awesome, and I prefer the sound mix I heard there to the Directors Edition revised mix. Jerry Goldsmith's score comes through so sublime it's unreal.

I'm actually very happy with the Blu-ray sets. The only 2 things I want now are a high-definition recreation of the work for the Director's Edition, and the resoration of the special features on that DVD, along with maybe an extra documentary about the Blu-ray re-rendering of the effects.

If they create better transfers of the movies to address the DNR / Edge Enhancement issues, all the better, but I'm happy with them.

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad I found this thread as the reviews on Amazon are next to useless when they use reviews from DVD's/VHS/LaserDisc to review a BluRay (sorry for the overuse of the word "review"!)

As someone who has been blown away by CBS's work on TNG, something I'm more than happy to part with my cash for, I will wait until the movies are remastered properly by Paramount.

Is there any further news or hints that this will definitely happen?

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found the investment in the theatrical cuts on shiny disc to be worth a double-dip with the Blu Ray releases. Especially with things like TMP and TUC, whose theatrical cuts have long been buried in a commercial sense for many, many years. There's always been something about the Director's Editions which I've disliked, so it has been great to be able to own the movies just as they originally went out in theaters. :bolian:

8. silent_man

silent_man Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is now out, going for around £70 in the UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Stardate-Collection-Remastered/dp/B00BKN6ZP0/

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-trek-1-10-remastered-box-set/10766069.html

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

The BDs are definitely an upgrade over the DVDs, especially TMP which had never been available in it's original form since the VHS days. Too bad that the opening credits of TSFS are window boxed, though. And I really hope that we will get the TMP-SLV and the TWOK-DE as well as the extended version of TUC (not the DE) on BD!