MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I had a fucking blast watching the movie and I'm 42.

2. BillJ

God could make a movie and this crowd would find things to bitch about.

3. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found myself wondering the same thing at the end of this movie as I did at the end of the Avengers. And that is about how much paperwork would have to be filled out after such an event.

4. BillJ

I'm sure the first thing insurance companies would do is claim that no one had "super-villain" clauses in their policies and refuse to pay. :lol:

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might point out that Superman's origin isn't original to Jesus either.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ehhh.... Maybe. But in the same movie the 30-year-old Cavill plays an 18-year-old Clark in the tornado flashback and the 30+ year old Tom Welling played a 20-something Clark when the series ended. So the age of the actor shouldn't (and has never) have anything to do with the the age of the character. Unless Beverly Hills 90210 really was about a bunch of middle-aged high school students. ;)

It strikes me as an instance of the symbolism writing the story over the story trying to make sense. Superman is 33 simply because he "needs to be" for the Jesus symbolism to fit that much more. Amy Adams is also in her late 30s so we can probably assume Lois Lane is too.

Which, again, feels... "odd." Now for "main stream"/career Superman being 33 I can see. But just starting out as Superman? Strikes me as old. He's really wandered around the planet for decades without ever learning he could fly?

Lois Lane has yet to find a boyfriend, husband or at least a serious relationship? It doesn't seem to "feel right", I guess, more so in Superman's case.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

8. Trekker4747

We've covered this.

And while it IS a dumb move it's still something that HAS happened to people who've survived only because the tornado was either weak or sideswiped the underpass as opposed to hitting directly.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The writers clearly wanted Superman and Lois to be each others first real romance. Nothing wrong with that.

10. BillJ

11. Trekker4747

A better safety tip would be to look slightly to your right when looking out the windshield and you may see a tornado and/or storm well before there is a problem.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, it could have been even worse. Just check out the deleted scenes on the Superman IV blu-ray and you'll see stuff that is so awful you'll want to gouge your eyes out afterwards.

Well obviously it wasn't the most ideal place, but they didn't have a whole lot of time or options. And the tornado didn't appear to be actually passing over the overpass anyway, so it was more them just getting out of the tornado's path.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The site was so useful it was posted twice. But I was in the same position you were in when you first posted that.;)

15. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts exactly.

I'd have preferred a tittle less total devastation in metropolis too, but I still loved the movie

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Total devastation?

10 buildings at most. That city spreads out for miles.

Bah.

Although it's nice practice for the Miracleman Movie when London is turned into a hole.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it was definitely a large area, but hardly the entire city. Hell, the Daily Planet was spared and that building appeared to be within fairly close range of the World Engine.

18. SonOfMogh

SonOfMogh Commander Red Shirt

I for one am so happy they avoided the cheesy one liners. I went in expecting a solid story, amazing action, but to have to grit my teeth and get through some horrible witty one liners in the middle of a life and death conflict. I actually can't believe they held off on the comic relief, it made it feel like a mature film and helped me get drawn in to the situation rather than feeling detached from it.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I hope for your sake he includes enough witty one liners.

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, everyone knows you should only take issue with the stuff you did like.

: |